Hiring out my horse trailer?

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Hi all!
I’ve an ifor williams 505 in good condition (recently been serviced with electrics redone & new tyres!). I
bought it a few months ago and it’s been on 2 outings (one of which was lending to another lady on the yard?).
I’m thinking of hiring it out as I could do with the extra cash. I know some people are put off by the potential of damage; but I’d take a deposit and don’t desperately need to use the box on the reg if it needs repairing.

I know I need to specific insurance - hire and reward I think - and do DVLA checks.
Can anyone offer me some help/advice on what else I need?

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
I would sell it and hire when needed before hiring out.

The only issue is there’s only one trailer hire company within an hour of me. I’ve used them previously a handful of times but she regularly cancelled on me to use it herself - the last time costing me a hunt cap - and she never refunded me for my missed events.

It’s why I’m considered hiring out - rather than selling it - as I think there’s a gap in the market around me!

Reactions: Kat

View

Visit site
I understand where you are coming from - but my day job is a transport manager, and I would not want to get involved. Insurance will cost a fortune, routine maintenance (an annual service won’t be sufficient), record keeping. And what arrangements will you have in place for a replacement when it comes back at night unusable with a booking for next day?

Think very long and hard.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I've thought about this as with having a small child mine isn't being used as much as it should be. But I just couldn't trust other people with it, no matter what deposit I took.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I wouldnt, Id hate to think of the damage. Ive once let someone borrow my trailer (a friend), her pony ate the breast bar padding. She didnt even offer to pay, although I knew she didnt have much money so I let it go but I still had to pay to have it fixed. It would be a nightmare arguing over deposits when there will be the odd scratch etc. especially inside, how do you log all of them

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
A deposit for damage is often very unlikely to cover the cost of damage done.

Insurance will be pretty steep to cover the usual dents and bashing done by being badly driven past walls, trees etc, let alone equine damage.
Insurance will also be steep as you'll need loss of use on it - when it's off the road having parts replaced (and yes, this does happen regularly with self drive hire trailers and boxes, at least once a month on average)

You'll need a good friendly repair company locally who is swift at getting replacement parts (from lights to ramps, welding catches, repainting etc)

Recovery is an absolute must too.

Read View's post again.

Remember, hirers very rarely treat hired items with respect. Wear and tear is very high maintenance.

eggs

Visit site
I lent my lorry FOC to a friend for the weekend. It came back with the padding ripped off the partition and a big scrape down the side. She flatly denied that it was anything to do with her so lesson learned - don't lend.