Hiring own trailer out

J1993

Visit site
My trailer is hardly going to get used this summer and I was thinking of hiring it out? Does anyone do this and what insurance do you use?

J1993

Visit site
I was only going to hire it to friends or friends of friends. But would rather have an insurance in place in case that happens.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Big companies manage to do it, so it cant be that difficult and I cant imagine they make a loss or it would be a no go for them.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It'll get bashed and smashed about. People will forget to secure jockey doors, top doors, the partition. They'll reverse their vehicle into their trailer hitch, they'll have worn tow balls set at the wrong height, their horse will kick seven bells out of it, they'll return it filthy.

If that all still appeals, then do your costings carefully.

Even if insured, the cost of the excess and the decrease in value of the trailer after getting battered will wipe out any profit.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Big companies sue people for the damage caused if they don't pay up willingly. The OP could be faced with suing friends and family.

Not that I'm aware of, and horsey people are usually quick to start shouting about things like that. Within 20miles of me there is 3 horseboxes for hire, 1 by a small company and 2 by owners who rent it out as a side line, and 1 trailer for hire. Theyve been running for at least 2years, one for over a decade.

They put a £500 charge as a deposit on your card when you collect which is the insurance excess.

J1993

Visit site
Thanks some other stuff came up that I didn't think of. Maybe I will just stick to letting the odd friend use it! I thought having an insurance might cover for any damage but then it sounds like too much hassle. I had searched threads but it was people looking to hire a trailer more than hire their own out. But thanks everyone

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks some other stuff came up that I didn't think of. Maybe I will just stick to letting the odd friend use it! I thought having an insurance might cover for any damage but then it sounds like too much hassle. I had searched threads but it was people looking to hire a trailer more than hire their own out. But thanks everyone

Sensible decision because you would also have to declare the unearned income to HMRC.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I’ve never done hire and reward but anytime I took friends somewhere in my lovely, new Kevin Parker 7.5 they would treat it like a bin and never once offered to come over to help with cleaning up their spilt drinks, discarded food, used crockery, rubbish, general detritus and horse’s dung after I had dropped them off. I recall taking my friend’s children to a children’s show on my only day off. It was pouring with rain but friend assured me they really, really wanted to go. The kids refused to ride but happily queued in the rain for a burger. Lorry got stuck in the mud, had to be towed and later have the chassis professionally power washed and re-greased. Friend pointed to an old hunting box at the show and said they used to have one like that and it never got stuck. Exactly the same with my cordless clippers. Always returned clogged, blunt and filthy I wouldn’t do it.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Sensible decision because you would also have to declare the unearned income to HMRC.

Surely it would not entirely be unearned income? Rent might be unearned, but there is also work involved in cleaning out the trailer, inspecting it for road worthiness.

Wouldn't OP also be required to completely disinfect the inside of the trailer between customers?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Someone I knew borrowed a virtually new trailer to take their mare and twin foals to a vet hospital. Drove under a bridge that was too low and wrote off the trailer. Not sure how that ended for the trailer owner but not well I believe.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think it still exists anymore but there used to be 'rent my horsebox' which supposedly covered insurance etc.
Friend did this, lorry got reversed into a post, lorry was out of action for most of the show season as a result.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
A friend borrowed my trailer to take her pony to the vets. Pony had a tantrum and my nearly new trailer was scratched and dented for the rest of its days.

Now if anyone wishes to borrow my trailer it has to be on my car. My car is only insured for two named drivers and one of us has to drive it. I have only been available when it is for transporting RDA ponies.