Historical tendon injury now in full work

Charliechops

Visit site
Advice please. I am thinking ofbuying a pony that historically had a tendon injury with the owner before the current one , that healed completely so. that she is in full work. The current owner has had no recurrence. I just want her for hacking not hunting or PC etc, which she was doing. How concerned should I be?

Visit site
As said there are many different things you need to ask. How extensive was the injury? Where was the injury? What work the pony has been doing since? Etc.

A simple, small rupture of the front legs SDFT wouldn't worry me in the slightest as I have known many horses to race on after a year off with no problems what so ever. A DDFT or a Hind limb I wouldnt knowingly touch with a 10ft barge pole.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
One of my horses as a teenager had done both front tendons. She had a year off, we bought her, she then had a year teaching friend to ride (so low impact) then I took her on as my main ride and did proper thrusting hunting over massive hedges, open team chase, newcomer show jumping... and the tendons never did bother her.

I was told by a vet that the tendon takes 2 years to re-strengthen, but most people put back to work after 1 year and then they are prone to going again.

She did have an issue with her fetlock later on, whether that was connected or not I don't know, as she had also just had a foal. Before any one gets irate, the tendon injuries were caused by a single incident, the horse itself was hard as nails.

If the horse is in full work, the injury reflected in the price (ours was less than 1/4 the price she would have been - but she hadn't been back in work), the vet agrees it is a reasonable prospect (although I wouldn't bother with an official 'vetting' as such) and you are comfortable with the risk, then why not?

Shay

Visit site
You also want to factor in the pony's age and your circumstances. If the pony is mid / late teens you may well become the last owner. Are you set up to care for the pony into retirement? Normally you can count on selling on a good PC pony (I note you do not want to do PC) into their low 20's but with a history of injury this will be harder to do - and they may well go lame. But ponies also live a long time so you may end up with an unridden but feild sound for some time. If you are set up for that and happy then probably worth the gamble.