Hit air or point 2 -HELP

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
Both do the job very well. People say the Hit air is better because it explodes rather than imploding like the point 2. I have a point 2, and I have never noticed it getting in the way when going cross country. Is there anywhere you can go to try both? Feel them both explode on while wearing them.

One other positive about the Point two is when you are out BE, you might be lucky and have a photographer who is taking pictures of people in Point Twos at the event. Think I had 4 or 5 events were I was photographed.

Last edited:

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I have a hit air and it has been very good thus far. Had a few xc falls in it and it kept me injury free every time.
Perhaps hit-air arent as smart as P2 but they still arent obtrusive when on and I chose hit air as it gave more neck and coccyx protection.

applecart14

Visit site
opinions on best one please :)

I have the hit air. This is the reason I bought the air jacket after this nasty fall at 1 minute 8 seconds:https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=22682c779cb0d84ac3e84a1812567237&oe=565DCC05

This fall was two years ago now and yet I am still suffering. I was very lucky not to have fallen onto my head or neck and tore all my ham string and inner thigh muscles. I was very lucky as I was at the event on my own, but there was a lovely couple of people that helped me out, untacking and loading my horse for me and the girl that took the video helped me such a lot. I wasn't riding positively and I think my horse knew it too! Totally my fault.

I believe the Hit Air it is superior to the point 2 as it covers more of your body. I particularly like its easy to wear, lightness if that makes sense! Its not been triggered yet so I hope it does work when the time comes. I tend to wear it most days now, originally I was just going to wear it for SJ comps and jumping at home but then I started wearing it for every day riding, schooling and hacking and unless its a cold day and I have loads of layers on, and can't get it over the top of them then I tend to wear it all the time now.

I particuarly like the fact that the accidents that I have suffered have nearly always been due to my head following through and hitting the ground when I fall as I nearly always land on my back. I believe that the inflatable neck will prevent this from happening.

Last edited:

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
oh yes forgot to say - I now wear mt hit-air when i go hacking instead of my body protector. I found it hard to turn round to beckon traffic etc in my body protector so had started not to wear it, but the problem is completely eliminated with the hit-air as it allows complete freedom so I dont mind wearing it on a hack. (although when i wear it over my police surplus hi-viz jacket I do often get asked if i'm a police officer!)

LeannePip

Visit site
I have the Hit Air and its brilliant - its more discrete than the P2 in my opinion and offers more protection when inflated. A friend of mine has a p2 and despite being properly fitted it can interfere with the back of her saddle, because it implodes inwards it has to be fitted a lot baggier to accommodate this.

I chose the Hit air for a couple of reasons;
- when i heard both go off the Hit Air was noticeably quieter, and when my own went off it was nothing more than a shaken up coke can being popped open.
- The fact that it explodes rather than implodes, thus fits snugger and is much more adjustable
- And the fact that it doesn't deflate straight away; if you had a fall which still caused a fracture an inflated jacket would act as a temporary imobiliser, whilst a deflating jacket would do more harm.

Having had mine, i think i ride better in it because especially XC i dont find i ride as defensively because i'm not so worried about the 'what ifs'.

Shoei

Visit site
I have a point 2 and have had a couple of falls with it and never been so much as winded.

I don't notice it when I am riding, I looked at both but found them much the same. I prefer that the p2 is looser, especially in summer as I wear mine whenever I am riding.

Shoei

Visit site
FRANTICALLY GRABBING WOOD NOW... I have not been so much as winded touch wood... do not want to curse myself!!!!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I suggest you try on all the brands. Take your body protector, if you use one and the coats you ride in and see whether you can move easily in all the combinations of clothing. They feel heavier when lifted but you don't notice the canister when you're riding.
I am not very tall and needed an air jacket that went over my body protector. Hit Air, Point 2 and Helite ordinary jackets were far too long. I drove miles so that I could try on all 3 types and chose a Helite gilet. I wear my a-j on every ride. I don't compete but I do have lessons where b.p.'s are compulsory for all jumping.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
I have a hitair and love it, I have road tested it too and it was the only fall Ive ever had and not been sore after, it was a cracker as well. I wear it every time I ride, it is also adjustable and can go happily over my BP for xc.. I have to admit I am tempted by a helite gilet though to wear for day to day use, I know it will fit more snuggly and be less obtrusive than the hit air.

popsdosh

Visit site
I suggest you try on all the brands. Take your body protector, if you use one and the coats you ride in and see whether you can move easily in all the combinations of clothing. They feel heavier when lifted but you don't notice the canister when you're riding.
I am not very tall and needed an air jacket that went over my body protector. Hit Air, Point 2 and Helite ordinary jackets were far too long. I drove miles so that I could try on all 3 types and chose a Helite gilet. I wear my a-j on every ride. I don't compete but I do have lessons where b.p.'s are compulsory for all jumping.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
as embarrasing as these photos are I thought you may like to see how the hit-air looks.

This is me looking very attractive and feeling a bit like the michelin man with my body protector and air jacket on. You soon forget about it all when on board though and it's never interfered with my riding.
8bfbccc7-09d0-4054-a898-ecade1f0767c_zpspq9f63go.jpg

And this was after my xc phase (was an ODE) where my horse fell over on approach to a jump and we exited stage left. Air jacket deployed and I was injury free. Here I am sad about the fact I've got to buy a new canister! lol
ode%20sad_zpseoiwgbqp.jpg

soulfull

Visit site
I have a point 2. My friend just bought a hit air and she is well endowed and it suited her Best. If I had unlimited funds I would change to the hit air, it just looks more comfortable

applecart14

Visit site
I chose the Hit air for a couple of reasons;
- when i heard both go off the Hit Air was noticeably quieter, and when my own went off it was nothing more than a shaken up coke can being popped open.
- The fact that it explodes rather than implodes, thus fits snugger and is much more adjustable
- And the fact that it doesn't deflate straight away; if you had a fall which still caused a fracture an inflated jacket would act as a temporary imobiliser, whilst a deflating jacket would do more harm.

Having had mine, i think i ride better in it because especially XC i dont find i ride as defensively because i'm not so worried about the 'what ifs'.

Yes I agree with the above statements, the lady who owns the company was at Your Horse Live Nov 2014 when I bought mine and said it was very quiet going off and I was scared about the compression you would feel but she said as it opens outwards its better than the other makes currently on the market. Forgot all this until you mentioned it! It also fits nicely over my body protector when I did a couple of one day events this year, even though I have put on all the weight I lost! :(

applecart14

Visit site
as embarrasing as these photos are I thought you may like to see how the hit-air looks.

This is me looking very attractive and feeling a bit like the michelin man with my body protector and air jacket on. You soon forget about it all when on board though and it's never interfered with my riding.
8bfbccc7-09d0-4054-a898-ecade1f0767c_zpspq9f63go.jpg

And this was after my xc phase (was an ODE) where my horse fell over on approach to a jump and we exited stage left. Air jacket deployed and I was injury free. Here I am sad about the fact I've got to buy a new canister! lol
ode%20sad_zpseoiwgbqp.jpg

Bless you. Bet the pain you suffered when landing was nothing compared to the pain you would have endured without it. They really are worth their weight in gold, especially if you are ever unfortunate enough to suffer a slow rotational fall at the higher levels.