Hives caused by clipping - baffled as to why.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I have a 9yo connemara and I've had him for 5 years and clipped him every year for 5 years. No issues until last month when he was clipped by a local clipper lady and the next day he had broken out in hives all over his neck and face. I immediately assumed dirty blades and/or clipping oil (which was the Lister clear oil) and treated him with piriton (vet offered steroid injection but I was too worried about laminitis).

About 2 weeks later the hives started to recede. Phew.

I clipped him last week after carefully washing him first in Wahl Oatmeal Shampoo, using my own squeaky clean clippers, freshly sharpened and super clean blades as well as a clipping oil specifically for sensitive skin (Clippersharp Fine). I made sure the blades were not overheating by stopping frequently and placing them on my face (carefully) to test.

Sadly he broke out in hives again.

The only thing that I think is different from the previous years is that in 2021 the vet started giving him cartrophen injections twice a year (he has malformed stifles). Other than that bedding, feed & forage is the same as always. His rugs are washed in the same non bio detergent I always use.

Could cartrophen simply be making his skin more sensitive? Or am I just grasping at straws? Its mainly his shoulders, neck and face too. His belly/flanks have the odd small hive here and there but that's it.

Any ideas / help greatly appreciated!!

Madd1

Visit site
I have a 9yo connemara and I've had him for 5 years and clipped him every year for 5 years. No issues until last month when he was clipped by a local clipper lady and the next day he had broken out in hives all over his neck and face. I immediately assumed dirty blades and/or clipping oil (which was the Lister clear oil) and treated him with piriton (vet offered steroid injection but I was too worried about laminitis).

About 2 weeks later the hives started to recede. Phew.

I clipped him last week after carefully washing him first in Wahl Oatmeal Shampoo, using my own squeaky clean clippers, freshly sharpened and super clean blades as well as a clipping oil specifically for sensitive skin (Clippersharp Fine). I made sure the blades were not overheating by stopping frequently and placing them on my face (carefully) to test.

Sadly he broke out in hives again.

The only thing that I think is different from the previous years is that in 2021 the vet started giving him cartrophen injections twice a year (he has malformed stifles). Other than that bedding, feed & forage is the same as always. His rugs are washed in the same non bio detergent I always use.

Could cartrophen simply be making his skin more sensitive? Or am I just grasping at straws? Its mainly his shoulders, neck and face too. His belly/flanks have the odd small hive here and there but that's it.

Any ideas / help greatly appreciated!!
Odd question - do you use wood pellets?

w1bbler

Visit site
I've been clipping a friends horse for 10 yrs + with no problems. Couple of years ago he came up in hives after I'd clipped, nothing had changed.
Horse tested positive for cushings shortly afterwards & is now on parascending. He hasn't reacted since, vet isn't convinced there is a link but...?

PurBee

Visit site
View attachment 101756
https://www.ndrugs.com/?s=cartrophen equine forte for horses&t=side effects

I assume this is when someone using the injection for administering into an equine suffers from side effects whilst handling the drug???

I found similar side effects for the compound pentosan polysulfate sodium, which cartrophen is. Human or animals side effects can be hives, itching, among others.
It stays in the system a while hence why its a long time span injection routine, rather than a daily tablet.

Its used mainly for bladder issues in humans, has his peeing frequency/volume changed since being on it? Not that we know how often our horses pee, just volume mostly! ?

teapot

Visit site
Is there something in the oil that changed? As companies begin to feel the pinch, don’t expect/assume chemical make up it exactly the same of newer products with the same name.

I know of someone who owned a horse allergic to every oil going, after months of testing/vets bills etc.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My friend has had exact the same happen on her horse for the last 2 years. She’s owned him 20 years and never had it happen before. She has now changed the oil (liveryman) but not clipped him since, be interesting once she reclips if he’s the same.

Her clippers are also potentially pulling the hair sometimes as they don’t clip to well.. wonder if it’s related to that as well.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I found similar side effects for the compound pentosan polysulfate sodium, which cartrophen is. Human or animals side effects can be hives, itching, among others.
It stays in the system a while hence why its a long time span injection routine, rather than a daily tablet.

Its used mainly for bladder issues in humans, has his peeing frequency/volume changed since being on it? Not that we know how often our horses pee, just volume mostly! ?

He seems to be peeing as normal :)
He's never reacted to the drug itself and was injected last 5th September. He was clipped 3rd October - and then had a reaction.

eggs

Visit site
One of mine came out in bad hives a few weeks ago and was rubbing himself raw. I have no idea what caused it but fortunately it resolved pretty quickly. This was before he was clipped. He was clipped two weeks ago and no sign of the hives re-appearing.

I previously had a horse who had a bad reaction to clipper oil when I over oiled the blades.

paddy555

Visit site
I previously had a horse who had a bad reaction to clipper oil when I over oiled the blades.

clipper oil. Mine came out in hives after each clip. I tried every other sort of oil and still hives. I usually clip on my own and oil the blades etc myself. This year OH got the clippers ready, oiled them and handed them to me. Not a hive on the horse afterwards. He seemed to have used so little oil (but perhaps just in the right place :D) the clippers clipped better and the horse was perfect. Clearly I had previously used far too much oil and caused the problem

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
clipper oil. Mine came out in hives after each clip. I tried every other sort of oil and still hives. I usually clip on my own and oil the blades etc myself. This year OH got the clippers ready, oiled them and handed them to me. Not a hive on the horse afterwards. He seemed to have used so little oil (but perhaps just in the right place :D) the clippers clipped better and the horse was perfect. Clearly I had previously used far too much oil and caused the problem

I'm off to google 'how to oil clipper blades correctly'!

Visit site
For the odd really sensitive horse I use baby oil instead of clipper oil. It's not the best for the blades and you need to oil more frequently but it gets the job done.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I had this with B 2 winters ago when friend had a different oil. Clipped early morning, hives across clipped half head, neck and shoulders etc by afternoon.
A hot clothing in the afternoon with a capful of hibiscrub in the hot water eased it very quickly.
I didn't rinse off, repeated the next morning and all ok.
Worth a try.

Lady Jane

Visit site
My friend's horse couldn't be ridden for 3 days after clipping as he came out in limps round the girth. His girth area was thoroughly washed afterwards and new blade etc made no difference. My horse apparently came up in limps on his legs after clipping with his previous owner. She put it down to a clipper oil allergy. I do a full bath with gentle shampoo after every clip - they dry very quickly when they are bald and I do have hot water. I've never had any lumps but this is only my third winter with him - 4th clip planned for tomorrow. I think with some horses you just can't pinpoint the problem but if the lumps last more than a few days its a real pain

Visit site
It still could possibly be the oil. If it was the cartrophen I’d be expecting a reaction after he had been injected - bit of a coincidence it has only happened twice after clipping. I like the Barrier natural clipping oil for sensitive skinned horses - could it be the material of the rug irritating him after he has been freshly clipped?

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
It still could possibly be the oil. If it was the cartrophen I’d be expecting a reaction after he had been injected - bit of a coincidence it has only happened twice after clipping. I like the Barrier natural clipping oil for sensitive skinned horses - could it be the material of the rug irritating him after he has been freshly clipped?
Possibly... I'm going to try medium blades instead of fine (freshly sharpened and cleaned); much less oil; a different oil to Lister and Clippersharp Fine; bath beforehand with shampoo for sensitive skin and a different softer rug that's been washed in something specific for sensitive skin too. Tempted to use baby oil on the blades as I know he isn't allergic to that but we'll see! I'll also stop and check the blades for heat more regularly. He's still got hives after his last clip 3 weeks ago and I noticed after he got warm at his dressage test on Sunday his hives were worse. They've calmed down today though. So I think heat is also aggravating the hives. As a result I'm keeping him as cool as possible - no rug during the day and minimal rugging at night (he's out at night). Vet doesn't think its anything to do with the cartrophen.

Hackback

Visit site
How odd that so many have experienced this in the last two years. My horse hasn't come out in hives but for the first time last year he was so unbearably itchy after his clip that I couldn't ride as the tack irritated him so much. Despite me being very careful about hot clothing him down afterwards he has been the same again this year for his first clip. He's about to have his second and we're using different clippers and oil. I never thought about anti histamines but I will give him those this time if it happens again.

BTW my horse does have cushings but his levels are fine on the prascend and he was diagnosed 7 years ago.

beatrice

Visit site
I have one that will come out with hives after clipping unless he is thoroughly hot clothed/bathed afterward - may be worth just giving him bath afterwards then you can continue using your usual clippers/oils etc.