HKM saddle clothes - sizing?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I've always said 'posh' and coloured stuff will look silly on my hairy, native pony who mainly does light schooling & light hacking *but* I recently bought him some rhythm beads which I thought would be brown. They are most definitely not brown. They are actually purple/lilac & clash with absolutely everything else he has!

I've seen a HKM GP saddle pad which would match nicely with said rhythm beads, but I'm not sure what size to go for?

He's a 13.3/14hh (chunky) New Forest pony & his saddle is either a 16.5 or 17 inch - would pony size fit him? The other option is cob/full - but I'm worried a full size pad would absolutely drown him!

Or is he an ' in-between size' and neither would work & we walk away, narrow avoiding an inappropriate matchy matchy moment?! :D

holeymoley

Visit site
I have a native and he has. 17" working hunter saddle . I use HKM saddle pads on him and I'm sure I go for the cob/full. I'd much rather have excess that not enough. Just means you have more of the nice colour in show!

WelshD

Visit site
My pony (only 11.2) has a pony sized one he could wear as a rug and his 15 inch saddle is lost on it! I am off to see him in a mo, will run a tape measure along the spine of it for you

NativePonyLover

Visit site
If you wouldn't mind measuring your pony sized pad , it would be much appreciated WelshD. Although he's technically only just 14hh, people think he's 14.2hh as he's full up & chunky (he was gelded late I believe, so he has a huge neck), so perhaps a cob/ full might be better.

Now, my other dilemia is do I go lilac or a darker purple on a bay?! He has quite a ginger tint to his coat.

WelshD

Visit site
My pony sized saddle pad is 20 inches along the spine and 18 inches from spine to bottom. Mine is the classic black with gold piping pad

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I have a 13.3hh light weight New Forest mare who has a 15" saddle (she's not fat either) and she fits a cob size saddlecloth fine. I was going to go for a Pony size, but the supplier didn't have it in stock so I got Cob. I also bought a saddlecloth back in August, which says Large on the label, but it's smaller than her other Cob sized saddlecloths & numnahs. I'd go for dark purple too! :)

Last edited: