HM FlexEE GP

Nasicus

Visit site
I know I posted asking about backing saddle a couple weeks ago, but I've got the option to by a synthetic HM FlexEE GP for a decent price (still not cheap by any means), and I'm just looking for reassurance that it's worth it.

I had a cheap treeless libra a few years ago that was comfy, but slipped like mad (despite proper poly-pads, girths and non-slip pads), couldn't lean out to the side for a gate without ending up sliding off the side and I had no hope of mounting until I found something to stand on so I could slide onto it without putting weight in the stirrups.

Basically I don't want to drop the money on something that's going to do the same as that hah! From what I hear, they ride quite similar to a regular treed saddle?

MrsNorris

Visit site
I know I posted asking about backing saddle a couple weeks ago, but I've got the option to by a synthetic HM FlexEE GP for a decent price (still not cheap by any means), and I'm just looking for reassurance that it's worth it.

I had a cheap treeless libra a few years ago that was comfy, but slipped like mad (despite proper poly-pads, girths and non-slip pads), couldn't lean out to the side for a gate without ending up sliding off the side and I had no hope of mounting until I found something to stand on so I could slide onto it without putting weight in the stirrups.

Basically I don't want to drop the money on something that's going to do the same as that hah! From what I hear, they ride quite similar to a regular treed saddle?

They do, I’ve been using a synthetic flexEE dressage for the last 5 years and it doesn’t slip at all on either of my very wide cobs.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
LOL That could have been me. I had a Torsion that wouldn't stay on top and it dumped me in the mud in front of a bunch of walkers as I opened a gate.

Nasicus

Visit site
They do, I’ve been using a synthetic flexEE dressage for the last 5 years and it doesn’t slip at all on either of my very wide cobs.
That's promising to hear! :D

LOL That could have been me. I had a Torsion that wouldn't stay on top and it dumped me in the mud in front of a bunch of walkers as I opened a gate.
Haha, oh man, my worst was having a canter in the wood with a few friends. Horse in front slammed the handbrake on at a leafy twig on the floor, my girl went hard right into a small ditch and we all thankfully managed to pull up. We just all looked at each other like 'Phew, noone got hurt', when I realised a second too late that I was slowly slipping the the left before being dumped on my head :p

Nudibranch

Visit site
Yes - I've owned a couple of Flexees now as well as a few different treeless and the Flexee definitely feel very treed in comparison. Fwiw, Haf endurance pads are very good under treeless as they have that bobbly grippy stuff underneath (sympanova?). I do love my old Libra and use the Haf with it, along with a breastplate on the fat round Fell.

Nasicus

Visit site
Yes - I've owned a couple of Flexees now as well as a few different treeless and the Flexee definitely feel very treed in comparison. Fwiw, Haf endurance pads are very good under treeless as they have that bobbly grippy stuff underneath (sympanova?). I do love my old Libra and use the Haf with it, along with a breastplate on the fat round Fell.
Heh, funnily enough it was your suggestion on my other thread that got me looking! :)

Nasicus

Visit site
Like any saddle it will depend on your horse, some slip, some don't, and of course they need to be well balanced etc so need to be fitted to a certain extent.
Yeah, I think that's why I never had much luck with my cob, she's just the wrong kind of shape for it.

The youngster is a nice, standard shape though, so I'm hoping it will go smoothly. Fitting will be done of course :)

BlackRider

Visit site
I really liked my flexee it does feel like a treed saddle, but I did find it slipped slightly (I did get a saddle fitter out to check it too).

Nasicus

Visit site
Just thinking, will I need a treeless saddle pad for a FlexEE? I have a few of the Premier Equine Merino Wool Saddle Pads, which would provide good spinal clearance I would have thought?

Beausmate

Visit site
The FlexEE isn't treeless, it has a leather tree and rides and fits like a treed saddle. I find mine very comfy and the panels are soft, so you should be fine with a thin saddlecloth/numnah, just like you would with a 'normal' saddle.

Nasicus

Visit site
The FlexEE isn't treeless, it has a leather tree and rides and fits like a treed saddle. I find mine very comfy and the panels are soft, so you should be fine with a thin saddlecloth/numnah, just like you would with a 'normal' saddle.

That's good to hear! :)

Iwantakitten

Visit site
My horse hated his FlexEE. By the third ride he planted at the block and refused to move a step. I managed to sell it for the same I paid for it so no loss.

Horsekaren

Visit site
i was so excited when mine arrived. I thought it was the answer to all my issues with saddle fittings. For me it was comfy but i wasnt balanced enough in my riding for it to work. He went really forward in it, at first i thought wehey he feels like he is free to move. Then the bucking started, he was lifting his back but not in the way i would like, it was like he was bracing and his legs were doing a strange paddle like march. i soon gave up with that and gone back to a cob tree which he is very happy in :)

Nasicus

Visit site
Saddle arrived yesterday!
Just a quick gullet change and a sit on today, walked down to the other end of the school to see if she was okay with it and thankfully she was completely unbothered by it.
So that'll be put to the side for now, until I can get a fitter out, but in the mean time, can I get any recommendations for short/dressage girths that they find work will with the FlexEE? I know the fitter will have her suggestions, but the more opinions the better! I'm new to short/dressage girths, so I'm completely clueless on good brands haha

PapaverFollis

Visit site
You'll probably find the fitter will reccommend a Pro Choice girth. Or a banana/moon girth if your horse has a more forwards girth groove. I don't have a flexee... have a Vogue though. We just use a normal thoroughgood (?) dressage girth at the moment and it's fine. I really want to try a flexee at some point (I think they look nicer than the vogues) but the vogues have always worked fine for every horse we've had. Hope the flexee works out for you.

tuppy

New User
Visit site
That's promising to hear! :D

Haha, oh man, my worst was having a canter in the wood with a few friends. Horse in front slammed the handbrake on at a leafy twig on the floor, my girl went hard right into a small ditch and we all thankfully managed to pull up. We just all looked at each other like 'Phew, noone got hurt', when I realised a second too late that I was slowly slipping the the left before being dumped on my head :p
Hello can you tell me how the sizing works with these saddles? ponio can only take a 16inch treed saddle, was told by HM need a 15inch, think these saddles measured differently don't want to make an expensive mistake when ordering thanks

Nasicus

Visit site
Hello can you tell me how the sizing works with these saddles? ponio can only take a 16inch treed saddle, was told by HM need a 15inch, think these saddles measured differently don't want to make an expensive mistake when ordering thanks
Can't really advise on that myself, I'd recommend speaking to a HM Fitter via email or phone, they'll probably be able to advise before purchase!

BlackRider

Visit site

They are measured differently, my 16" was the same size as a conventional 17".