hmm... and that makes a good farrier???

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I once had to leave my horse 12 weeks and felt awful, it was a constant worry but in all fairness he looked reasonably ok.
Was a massive relief to get him done though!
I now go according to horse. One is done every 6 weeks and two every 7/8 weeks

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Shod horses hooves do grow slower anyway but I would still maintain the 6 week rule as hooves don't always grow as a whole - some areas grow faster than others... and also, trimming regularly encourages growth so it's partly to do with stimulation. I'd be interested to see photos of hooves at the point of having been freshly shod and 6/8/10/12 weeks.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Sadly most horse owners can't recognise a well shod foot. My hubby is a farrier and he often recommends bf. Most horses can go bf behind. I have 6 horses and only 1 is shod.
The times I hear that a farrier is great because the shoes stay on..........arghhh.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Sadly most horse owners can't recognise a well shod foot. My hubby is a farrier and he often recommends bf. Most horses can go bf behind. I have 6 horses and only 1 is shod.
The times I hear that a farrier is great because the shoes stay on..........arghhh.

My old carrier used to say that my horses feet were good as they kept shoes on. Actually he did make my horses feet look very good, but he's not touched them since I went bf, as I know he likes trimming too much (frogs etc) and he's not the kind i could have had a discussion with really. We've had the same farrier for 30 years now, and the never had any issues with feet til my horse that likes breaking himself!

Beth206

Visit site
I have my horse done every 8 weeks - one of the girls on my yard only gets hers done when a shoe comes off (no comment) I know she must be around 14 weeks now as my girl has been done twice since she last had hers done.
My farrier shod my youngster on her back feet for the first time this time and it turned out her hoof was wearing incorrectly so he put some remedial shoes on to help hoof growth. I told another one of the girls on the yard about the corrective shoeing - she mentioned it to her farrier whilst her horse was been shod and he just said 'no horse has perfect feet - I wouldn't have bothered corrective shoeing'
Glad we all use different farriers!

bollybop

Visit site
My horse doesn't have shoes on (hate the term barefoot!). She will go a long time without them needing to be trimmed, probably up to 10-12 weeks.

Queenbee

Visit site
I have to say - ebony kept her shoes on really well, but never ever grew fast... she was BF when I got her and still was slow to grow, for the first couple of years we would shoe every 9-10 weeks only taking the smallest amount off each re-shoe, slowly she got better and a more 'normal' time span, and whilst I agree with everything said here re-leaving shoes on too long, the OP I wrote was actually about the horse keeping its shoes on for two weeks, not 12 - why, when every other farrier had clearly indicated that boots would be a better option (clearly, the horse was throwing shoes left right and center due to seriously poor quality hoof, did she think she had found a good farrier because the chap would put shoes on instead of advising that she actually put boots on and focused on fixing the bleeding problem.

I detest stupid people

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have my horse done every 8 weeks - one of the girls on my yard only gets hers done when a shoe comes off (no comment) I know she must be around 14 weeks now as my girl has been done twice since she last had hers done.
My farrier shod my youngster on her back feet for the first time this time and it turned out her hoof was wearing incorrectly so he put some remedial shoes on to help hoof growth. I told another one of the girls on the yard about the corrective shoeing - she mentioned it to her farrier whilst her horse was been shod and he just said 'no horse has perfect feet - I wouldn't have bothered corrective shoeing'
Glad we all use different farriers!

If the hoof was wearing incorrectly it might be worth checking your horses gait and making sure there are no issues. Mine had a large flare on a hind hoof (only one) when I took him out of shoes which I accepted. But then he was lame, closer inspection of his action showed that he didn't move straight. I've spent time sorting this, and the flare broke off within weeks of starting the straightness work. Worth checking out your youngster before you put more (incorrect?) work in :)

gmw

Visit site
Sorry to disagree. You do need qualification s(4 years apprenticeship) to be a farrier please look up Worshipful Company of Farriers!. It is illegal for any one not qualified to shoe a horse etc etc etc.

gmw

Visit site
Sorry to disagree. You do need qualification s(4 years apprenticeship) to be a farrier please look up Worshipful Company of Farriers!. It is illegal for any one not qualified to shoe a horse etc etc etc.

horselady

Visit site
um... you already posted that.

Laika

Visit site
"No Hoof No Horse" One of the things I do not mind paying for is a good farrier. I have my girl done every 6 weeks, she has fantastic feet, but it's good practice to give them a good, regular trim. I trust my farrier to give me good advise and *touch wood* my Exmoor has never had a problem.

I don't understand those who can leave their horses feet 9-12 weeks?!? Like I said above, mine has FANTASTIC feet but I daren't leave them longer than 6 weeks :O

little_critter

Visit site

If you're replying to the post on page 1, the poster is in New Zealand, maybe the rules are different over here.

Last edited: