Hmmm. Do I or don't I???

shelley8697

Visit site
Having being forced to give up horse ownership in February of this year due to finances, I find myself in the position of trying to decide if I should take it up again. I have been saving hard and can nearly afford another 'fun all-rounder'

Horses always been a big part of my life for nearly 40 years and also done everything from Show Jumping to Carriage driving until February, but know I am wondering if I can afford the time and more importantly if I have the passion still.

I spend most of my free time on the internet looking at horses, going to shows and local auctions and and reading H&H forum of course! I am bored to tears in my free time just wanting to be outside.. But part of me just doesn't know if I can get back into the 24/7 of horse ownership.

Has anyone else been through this? What did you do? Did you regret buying another horse?

canteron

Visit site
Definitely don't do it unless you are convinced its how you want to go.

Why not volunteer for things like dressage writing, BE fence judging, helping at your local RC club so you get a bit of a horsey fix without the hassles of ownership .... and use those spare £ for a fantastic riding holiday!

White socks

Visit site
Nearly afford it isn't enough really! We all know horses cost a fortune and leave us broke but we love them anyway. How about sharing/part loan? There are hundreds of people with horses up for loan at the moment. You can still be involved with horses but not with such a huge expense.

Luci07

Visit site
Or... how about looking for a really fantastic top notch training centre.. and spending some money on some seriously great lessons - as an eg I would go to Oldencraig for lessons on their schoolmasters. Something I can not afford to do as well as having training on my own horse.. and then of course you could always look at the share options - and if you can't find something suitable then I would put up an advert, citing your skills and availability and you might well find that you get a call from someone who has something they wouldn't normally put out on share..

Winter isn't possibly the best time to go back to horse ownership. Says she who has managed to be the last up for 2 evenings on the trot and my lovely buzzy yard is not quite the same when its only me putting up the lights and unlocking Fort Knox. Thank heavens for highly excited dogs who can't wait to go up there!

Sandgrounder

Visit site
I wouldn't. you gave up in February because of financial costs in keeping a horse. These costs will only continue to rise. There are lots of nice horses on loan out there as their owners also need financial help to fund their horse. Save your money!!! :)

Tickles

Visit site
Second the loan/sharing option.

Unless you can be sure your finances are permanently on an even footing (lottery win? great pre-nup with new marriage?) then you risk the heartbreak of selling again. In another economic climate, and assuming you have the experience, then bringing on a youngster you intend to sell anyway would be an option for short-term stability but might be tough to sell now.

Also: you don;t just need enough to buy it. You need enough to keep it (which I assume you'll have coming in) and enough for expensive veterinary treatments excluded form insurance (e.g. recurrent colic/sarcoids...), potentially enough for another when the first breaks and has to be kept on grass livery or a hard enough head/heart to PTS for financial reasons.

Sharing can be very good.

shelley8697

Visit site
Money for up keep is not a problem, I work hard to fund my passion ;-) It's the initial outlay for a quality horse/pony. I am ashamed to say that even as a child I was never 'good at sharing'! lol

Problem is I have never previously has to worry about my spending on my horse, ie 'lets go an buy a new lorry' as I felt we needed a new one - basically I was a very spoilt wife! Unfortunately, my husband and I have lost everything due to the recession.... hence we are starting over and had to sell everything (house and business etc).

I am now reformed and understand the more important things in life. Love and happiness! I miss the love and partnership of my horse - may be I've just got lazy and need to get my boots on and have fun with my friends again without it being all about bling!!!! ????