Hmmmmmmmmm...what to do?

JadeWisc

Visit site
Here is the Gelding I went to see today. He is 11 and supposedly BOMB proof. He may be the riding ticket for my family to thoroughly enjoy.The current owner wants to make a trade for my Chester. Chester for certain is a more amazing horse in many ways. He is Gorgeous, has the bloodlines, is young, and in the right hands, has amazing potential. The white Gelding has less pedigree, but more family friendly charm and peace about him. He is a horse that my 12 yr old could jump on and really learn from, therefore making him worth the world for me. I know that in the end, the other person will come out with the "deal", but if he becomes more useful to me and my family I think I win in this situation. The other owners also have the capacity to take Chester to his rightful place of greatness in the equine world. When it is all said and done, a grogeous, well bred, but less trained and safe horse may have competition with a less well bred and gorgeous safe and gentle one. Anyhow, here he is. He is slightly underweight and has an eye infection, but we can fix all of that. He seems like a gentle boy . I am offering a weeks trial at my home. What do tyou think if he were muscled and fattened up with a nice groom?
87c178551dc1.jpg

aa10d2973eda.jpg

PinkFairy

Visit site
he does look lovely but i'd look at which horse will benefit you more and which horse you can get the best from, and more enjoyment from?

loopylis

wythallriders.proboards100.com
[ QUOTE ]
He looks a very friendly and kind chap. V. poor condition though - would like to see him after some TLC.....

[/ QUOTE ]
agree with that and yours sounds loads better he hasnt really got much about him this one has he
lisa x

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
It does sound as though the other people are getting more of a deal than you are. Must admit I would like to see him after some TLC. Personally though I think a straight swap is not a good deal, perhaps if they were to offer you some cash to make up the difference? Having said all that, what price safety, and it would be nice for the poor thing to have some love and attention................................ooh there goes my heart cancelling out my head
confused.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
I need to hear it straight and true. Say anything you like. I have a huge decision to make. He was a pretty boy, & I was picturing him through thoughts of him after a few months in my care.The man just recently obtained him, he was a therapy horse for disabled children. Chester needs to go find his rightful future as a valuable AQHA cutting horse. The man is willing to spend the time . money, and effort to take him there. He has wanted Him ever since we moved here. Now he has a bargining chip for me.

JadeWisc

Visit site
Seriously, his condition was not that bad, my horses are just fatties, He could put on some weight, but he was a healthy, sound, & strong horse truth be told. Feet and legs were nice,very pretty gait, just not as hot as he would be if I had him.

PinkFairy

Visit site
if i were u i'd keep the one you have. at the end of the day they will get a better horse than u are recieving(sp?) from them and i think maybe take the horse on when THEY give him the TLC he deserves?

JadeWisc

Visit site
Oh dear, now you all really have me questioning myself.
Well, that's good, that is why I posted this.
I am wondering though.....what is a gorgeous, well fed, well cared for, well bred, horse worth to my family when he is only safe riding in green broke situations? Maybe an even swap.....A: helps the white horse
B: makes it worth the investment for my family
and........
C: let's my "Amazing" Chester go on to find his rightful potential

JadeWisc

Visit site
Sirena....I kinda do , yeah!!!!!!! lol
I want some reassurance however, I do not want to be played a "fool" I am having fantasy thoughts though of us galloping all over with no bucking and sense of worry.

sojeph

Visit site
IMO you can't put a price on a safe family horse regardless of what he looks like. If he's what you want and your other horse isn't I say go for it.

Greyhound

Visit site
Will he still be bombproof once he is fed up and has some energy? Will you have him vetted? he seems so thin.

I thnik he has potential under all of that but he just looks scraggy.

What ever you do I hope it works out alright for you, sorry if I have offended my brain is not working and I cant think how else to put things.

Gh

ETS sometime you have to go with your heart.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
OK go for it - but I really do think that the other guy should give you some money on top. I completely see what you are saying about having fun with the little grey horse, but on a pure swap basis I just don't think it is fair on you.

Not helping am I
frown.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
IMO you can't put a price on a safe family horse regardless of what he looks like. If he's what you want and your other horse isn't I say go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats true and i second it but also, just make sure your not getting less than they are. why pass up a fab horse to get something thats not been cared for? maybe you could get cash as well to make up, as others have said.

JadeWisc

Visit site
hmmmm. I soppose I have to get to know him before I can make that judgement (About being bombproof) As far as being vet checked goes....Yes, he will have a thorough checkup and have his eyes clear before he arrives. In any equine purchase I suppose there is a gamble. As far as being "scraggly" I would call him anything but. However I am here to use and love him, not take photoshoots.I think he might be pretty hot when given some good feed, washed up and groomed
I appreciate your opinion though. I need all aspects of advice

Greyhound

Visit site
You are right it is a gamble, have him on a weeks trail after his eyes have cleaned up and then you can make a better informed decision. Sorry to call him scraggy it must be my eyes they feel like two pee holes in the snow

Regards

Gh

sojeph

Visit site
The way I look at it is this.. I have 2 riding cobs. They are big fat and hairy and pretty much do nothing. However, if I want to go out for a ride with a friend I can throw on some tack and go. They are no different if I ride them everyday or once a year. To look at, people may possibly give me a fiver for them both - they are average hairy cobs. BUT to me they are priceless. Anyone can ride them. They are safe, fun rides. For what I do they are perfect.
What I'm saying is that if this horse is genuine and its suits your purpose then I'd go for it.

JadeWisc

Visit site
It's not about money for me....Chester was paid for long ago and that money is gone....it is about me winding up with what my family needs, and Chester winding up where he needs to be.
As much as I am defending the situation, I still am very unsure and worried. It may take "just doing it on a trial" to know for sure. I think it may take more than a week trial though......It may take a good month.

JadeWisc

Visit site
I know Sojeph, I am not showing or breeding, just using, and loving. I think he "may" be my dream come true!

OH DEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who knows!!!!!!!!!????????
I HATE this!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Oh it's hard isn't it
frown.gif
I'm am almost as bad as you and I don't have to make the decision
confused.gif

Half of me is saying, he is just what you want, sod the looks, breeding etc and go for it, but the sensible head is saying that the other guy should also give you some money
crazy.gif

Edited to say - I knooooow, I am NOT helping here
d060.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Take him for a month and see what happens THEN make your decision - he isnt fit, he isnt well covered and a lot of horses can change once they have regular food inside them

As for the money - screw that, as you say, its gone - now you are a mother etc breaking and backing a youngster isnt really what you want to be doing - fun is what it is about now - yes in an ideal world you could earn yourself some money but who really cares?

JadeWisc

Visit site
oh.......... another point that I wanted to make is..........Advertising him would take time effort and money. Also, looking for another horse to meet our needs would take some effort. I only wanted to point this out because I want you all to understand why I am thinking this "easy swap" may be a better idea......Not that I am impatient or anything
blush.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Advertising him would take time effort and money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very true, you know what Jade, like Weezy said, sod the money and go for it - but give it a months trial first, then you will have more of an idea as to whether he is still a kind and gentle chappie after all the TLC
cool.gif

TBH if he gives you what you want - then he is priceless

Skhosu

Visit site
I would be very hesitant about swapping you well conditioned horse for one in not so good condition. Never mind anything else to begin with.
After that, why not sell Chester and buy a really nice bombproof horse?
laugh.gif

Yes, this one is safe, but if your getting a raw deal ( as it sounds) I would not even be considering it, you may regret it in the future. Also, are you utterly convinced this man will take good care of Chester?