Hmmmmmmmmm...what to do?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Can I play devil's advocate here?

I've been in your position; it didn't work out for me, purely because, as it was between a 'friend' we didn't have a contract written and signed beforehand. We both agreed to a fortnight trial on the strict understanding that if either of us were unhappy we would swop back and would buy if necessary. Needless to say, I did not want the mare, I wanted my 3 year old back, I was willing to hang onto him until she had sold the mare but she wouldn't agree to swap back, refused point blank. Even with a solicitor involved I was unable to get him back (he was kept at livery, not her own place else I would have just gone in and taken him back but as it was I would have been done for theft!) I sold the mare for half what he was worth too. Funny thing is, 11 years later, I get him given back to me by his then emigrating owner so I had the last laugh!!
Anyway, my point is, if you go ahead with the swap, please get it all signed, sealed and settled, don't get done like I was.

Like me, you want the best for your own horse and if this chap can give it to him all well and good; also, this poor chappie looks like he could do with a load of tlc which you are more than willing to provide, so I personally say go for it but do be prepared for it not working out for either of you.

filly190

Visit site
I dont think money comes into it when safety is concerned. I "gave away" a t.b a lot of years ago because I was so frightened of her. She cost me a arm and a leg, but I was'nt willing to sell her on to kill someone. She went to someone who know all about the dangers and the agreement was, if not cured, she was put down.

To find a horse that you can feel safe, enjoy and love is worth the world. If this horse has been used for the disabled and you have checked the history, he passes your vetting DO IT.

Forget about the money situation, thats a transaction that will last five minutes, instead think of all the benefits you are going to have. Having a horse like him will be worth its weight in gold and you'll soon have people begging you to buy him.

Yes I agree with the others he looks a little poor, but often working horses chucked out in the field can go "off" and it does not take much to bring them back. Just check it all out and lets hope it all works out for you. The man most proberly sees a good fat profit in your horse, but so what! If he can do the work, get the results, then he deserves it.

I'm not saying money is not important, of course it is, but we all loose hundreds when we swop cars etc, what's the difference. If you have gained what you want, dont look back. Enjoy you obviously deserve it.

I sincerely wish you luck, keep us posted, I am sure everyone out there is rooting for you.

horsegirl

Visit site
I'm sorry but I think the horse looks skinny and quite poor. Plus he has an eye infection. I don't think I would want to sell/swap any hore of mine to a place that would allow a horse to get to this condition.

Visit site
aww he looks lovely! but a little underweight and lacking in condition
frown.gif
you should do what's best for you really, I can't really say but he doesn look like a lovely sort xx

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but I think the horse looks skinny and quite poor. Plus he has an eye infection. I don't think I would want to sell/swap any hore of mine to a place that would allow a horse to get to this condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a bit unfair! Any horse photographed at that angle won't look its best thats for sure. It doesn't look ribby to me, just lacking some muscle tone. Hardly poor.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read Jade's post properly, you will see that the owner has only just got this horse so it was NOT him who let it get into that condition.

JadeWisc

Visit site
Ok, here is another showing that he is really not "that" thin. He has been gaining weight. I realise he is not a "stunner" in theses pics, but I am convinced I can make him one (of sorts, lol)
c4744b741331.jpg

JadeWisc

Visit site
I should clarify, we do ride Chester, and he is very gentle and smart. I only trust him with the kids (and myself) in a fenced setting however. He is very calm around traffic, but he still is in need of training to listen and totally obey his rider. I am not so much the person to take him all the way.

Tia

Visit site
Jade, I really don't think you should be considering a swap here. You would do better to buy this horse and then advertise Chester to a good competition home.

I have no idea what price you put on Chester as have no idea of his bloodlines - the biggest thing going against him is that he is sorrel/chestnut (if I remember correctly) so his price will be lower than that of a grey/black etc.

This horse has the fact that it is white/grey going for him and that he is quiet.....that's about it. He looks like a crossbreed to me but maybe just the picture - looks like he is Appy cross as it seems that he has sclera.

Personally I would either look at purchasing this horse independently or looking for another. Chester is a far better horse.

Sorry....not what you wanted to hear
frown.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
Also, the more desirable Quarter horses in my area atm are the roans and the Palomonos. Buckskins are pretty popular as well. I am not really a color person though.I mostly look at a horses head and body shape. I love greys, but I hear of very few people where I live buzzing about them. They seem more popular for Arab owners in my opinion around here.
just some random ramblings