Hobbies after giving up horses

Birker2020

Visit site
Another who is following with interest, I lost my boy last year and then had a failed hip surgery and I am really struggling to find passion for anything but desperately need to lose some weight.
I would like to buy a bike and a paddleboard but am waiting until we can move into our new house (which has a garage) as otherwise we don't have anywhere to keep things (current place is a 2nd floor studio flat) - same thing for a dog, got a new job which allows 3 days WFH but can't until we are in new house...
Cycling is a non weight bearing exercise so would probably suite you with your hip issues, shame you don't have a Village Gym by you as you'd love the Trip. The Trip is a fully immersive workout experience that combines a 40-minute multi-peak cycling workout with a journey through digitally-created worlds. With its cinema-scale screen and sound system, this immersive fitness workout takes motivation and energy output to the next level, burning serious calories.

Swimming is also good as a non weight bearing exercise and the paddle boarding that you say you'd like to do.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Cycling is a non weight bearing exercise so would probably suite you with your hip issues, shame you don't have a Village Gym by you as you'd love the Trip. The Trip is a fully immersive workout experience that combines a 40-minute multi-peak cycling workout with a journey through digitally-created worlds. With its cinema-scale screen and sound system, this immersive fitness workout takes motivation and energy output to the next level, burning serious calories.

Swimming is also good as a non weight bearing exercise and the paddle boarding that you say you'd like to do.

It's interesting you say that as I have always been unsure if cycling would be good or bad for the hip. I work for a leisure provider (well, for the next couple months) and have tried the Trip, I definitely enjoyed it but struggled to be able to go in the evenings and not end up working in some way which ruined it a bit. We also run a couple of swimming pools and I would never step foot in one again for reasons I won't go into (industry wide, not just our pool).. I might have a go at open water swimming though.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Could you join a netball team? I am in a netball club and it is great fun, brilliant exercise and very sociable too. It's nice to feel part of a team and the sport is very inclusive as the different positions suit women of different sizes, strengths and abilities. There are lots of teams around now as it has really taken off again in recent years. I find a netball game to be a great clearer of the mind! My club has players from late teens up to their 60s and we also have a summer party, a Christmas meal and go to see a professional game once a year as well. England Netball run 'back to netball' courses around the country and that is a great way to get started and the organiser can often help you find a local team.

SO1

Visit site
I would also recommend Tai Chi if you can find a local group. I have one near me and go once a week it is in a park so outside so feels somewhat safer with so much Covid about there is no way I would go to a gym.

For me it is fear of getting Covid again that is holding me back with new activities.

Birker2020

Visit site
It's interesting you say that as I have always been unsure if cycling would be good or bad for the hip. I work for a leisure provider (well, for the next couple months) and have tried the Trip, I definitely enjoyed it but struggled to be able to go in the evenings and not end up working in some way which ruined it a bit. We also run a couple of swimming pools and I would never step foot in one again for reasons I won't go into (industry wide, not just our pool).. I might have a go at open water swimming though.
The Trip is very addictive, I go early evening weekends and there's no one in the studio so I put on whatever one I fancy, although I must admit I keep putting The Jungle on again and again as I love the music. I do classes as well.

Ooh I am curious about the swimming pool though, I can imagine they are a bacteria laden cess pit.

Birker2020

Visit site
I would also recommend Tai Chi if you can find a local group. I have one near me and go once a week it is in a park so outside so feels somewhat safer with so much Covid about there is no way I would go to a gym.

For me it is fear of getting Covid again that is holding me back with new activities.
We had someone work out the other day in our gym with a mask on, I can imagine that would be very uncomfortable though. They were using the stair climber equipment.

I've not had Covid and I've not got any healthy concerns that catching it could be dangerous, (can't think of the terminology) but I can understand your concern, it must be very real for you.

pistolpete

Visit site
Hate group based activities so many idiots! I’m much less tolerant now I’m old! Having said that very happy at a group riding holiday. Bit different though!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
We had someone work out the other day in our gym with a mask on, I can imagine that would be very uncomfortable though. They were using the stair climber equipment.

I've not had Covid and I've not got any healthy concerns that catching it could be dangerous, (can't think of the terminology) but I can understand your concern, it must be very real for you.

Was it a covid mask or an oxygen depravation mask? We trained in those to improve our cardiovascular fitness during fight prep when I used to train Muay Thai.

JoannaC

Visit site
I still have the horses but do far less with them. I do more training and agility with the dogs as well as finding new walks to go on. I've also got into Koi fish which is a very therapeutic and timewasting hobby!

SO1

Visit site
I don't have any major underlying health conditions other than my age 49 but it was really unpleasant and I am on week three now and still not 100% better.

I was incapacitated for 9 days and thankfully finally was ok on the day the vet gave me the bad news about my pony needing to be PTS and was well enough to spend time with him for his last 4 days.

I really don't want to get it again and reinfections can happen after 28 days. My boss knows someone who has had it 4 times and I know plenty of people who are on round 2 plus young people on the yard who have had it and taken a week to get better.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I can vouch for the cycling, it has actually helped my torn mcl and meniscus, first couple of times i was out of puff but u actually become fitter quick, and it gets easier

maisie06

Visit site
Hi all,

Just wondering how you all adjusted to giving up horses/ taking a break from horses and what hobbies you got into. I had a bad run with horses recently from a full loan horse developing headshaking syndrome which sadly I made the decision to return and a part loan horse which didn't work out. I do and I don't miss it at the same time!

Would be interested to read all your experiences of this please.

Many thanks

I gave up horses for a few reasons , my weight spiralled out of control despite diets etc, I hate cold dark nights and winter and I was ending up cancelling so many shows, clinics and even hacks due to constant rain that the cost of horses wasn't worth it anymore, I also got as far as I could riding wise and I felt so inadequate at shows etc that I began hating the thought of entering. that was about 5 or so years ago now and I don't regret it one bit!! I still have contact with horses as I help a couple of friends with holiday cover and turnout a couple of mornings a week so they can juggle family life..

My hobby now is training and working Gundogs, still getting out into the countryside but not as expensive as horses!! I nearly fainted when I was left a payment for the farrier when a friend went away on holiday!!! I know I will never ride again and TBH I don't miss it.

vhf

Visit site
I recently had a 'skid car experience'. After half the lesson, trainer declared there wasn't a lot he could teach me about feel and anticipation, my responses were on target etc. so he taught me to drift! It was SOOO much fun being a total hellion and learning to balance and control a whole other kind of power. I could easily get into something like that... but I think not a lot less expensive.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I recently had a 'skid car experience'. After half the lesson, trainer declared there wasn't a lot he could teach me about feel and anticipation, my responses were on target etc. so he taught me to drift! It was SOOO much fun being a total hellion and learning to balance and control a whole other kind of power. I could easily get into something like that... but I think not a lot less expensive.
That sounds like fun, i used to race motorbikes and that was hella fun too

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Take up a craft. I started spinning (wool/fibre not bike) it is something that can be as simple or complex as you wish. Join an appropriate group for the craft, other people encourage and spur you on.

scats

Visit site
I dream of being horse less a lot of the time, I cant lie. When these girls go, I’m giving up.
I plan to have some holidays, enjoy more dog walks, go out for meals and just generally enjoy not being tied at either end of the day.
Even daft things like going to Alton Towers at Halloween, which I just don’t get to do because trying to get cover for the horses for anything other than something important just makes me feel guilty.
I think I’d also cycle a lot more.
Just finishing work on a winters evening and not having to go back out would be incredible. I’d really embrace the winter months with films infront of the fire etc.

Anyone want two horses??