Hock injections - steroid alternatives?

jenni999

Visit site
As per the title, I think we are facing the prospect of hock injections and I have a big horse so am nervous about steroid injections, Before I get to the vet, I wanted to find out what alternatives are available (gel?) and any experience people might have.

Thanks in advance

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If you type 'arthramid' (aka gel) into the search box, you'll come up with quite a lot of threads and posts :).

Pros over steroid injections are they are longer lasting, and there is no elevated risk of laminitis as there is with steroid jabs

Cons are that they are initially more expensive, but as they last longer IMHO they offer more value.

I have one horse who has has arthramid jabs in both front coffins and in both hocks, and another horse in both hocks. Both horses are doing very well.

jenni999

Visit site
If you type 'arthramid' (aka gel) into the search box, you'll come up with quite a lot of threads and posts :).

Pros over steroid injections are they are longer lasting, and there is no elevated risk of laminitis as there is with steroid jabs

Cons are that they are initially more expensive, but as they last longer IMHO they offer more value.

I have one horse who has has arthramid jabs in both front coffins and in both hocks, and another horse in both hocks. Both horses are doing very well.
Thankyou Tiddlypom - really useful

Lovely jubbly

Visit site
My horse has just had the hydra gel into coffin joints and starts course of cartrophen tomorrow so not sure about results yet.I chose not to go down the steroid route because of previous laminitis she’s had...so didn’t want to risk it due to a friend loosing her horse to steroid laminitis went rapidly down hill within 2 days.There’s another horse at the yard with hock issues he had steroids first didn’t work,then had tildren that hasn’t worked either he’s had the hydra gel done sound as a pound within a couple of weeks.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would always do gel now as a first treatment I might combine it with cartofen or Tilden .
my experience of get is that it’s best used early .

jenni999

Visit site
Thanks all. Turns out he has some navicular changes in both front feet which we think was driving the stiffness behind. Never rains.......

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks all. Turns out he has some navicular changes in both front feet which we think was driving the stiffness behind. Never rains.......
That often is the case :(. But there is hope.

My sports horse mare who had gel injections in both her front coffins, both hocks and steroid jabs in both her SI joints has finally come sound. It all started with poor front foot balance and hind gut discomfort.

HelenBack

Visit site
Sorry to hear that. I think it might be chicken and egg with the navicular issues and lameness behind and it seems to depende which vet you ask. My horses has both of these issues too and my vets felt that the issues behind came first and that was what led to the forelimb issues! Who knows really?

In my case my horse has had arthramid gel into the hocks which I do think helped and for hos front feet I went down the barefoot route. He also had some osphos but I'm not sure that made much difference and if I were to try anything of that sort again I'd probably go for Tildren.

My lad isn't really what you would call sound now but he's good enough for hacking. He prefers boots with pads than being totally bare. I don't know how long he'll keep going for and when we might need treatment again but this is what I've done so far.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Useful thread OP, although sorry to hear you are going through this. Mine has just had his second steroid injections into his hocks and the vet has now suggested Tildren. It doesn't sound very nice so following everyone's input with interest. It seems like there are options of:
Steroids
Tildren
Arthramid
Cartofen?

Are there any others and is there an easy way to explain the differences?

Obviously we should always discuss with the vets but some background knowledge is helpful when thinking of questions to ask. I hope I'm not hyjacking your thread OP.