Hock spavin, time for injections to take effect?

little_critter

Visit site
Bit of history.
My boy was diagnosed with the start of arthritis in his front fetlocks last year.
A few weeks ago, following some weeks of reluctance to go forward and being on the forehand, he went lame in front.
I assumed the arthritis was back (had steroid injections at diagnosis)
We had a work up and it was also noted he was lame behind. Diagnosed as hock spavin.
Being sore behind has made him overload the fronts and aggravate the original arthritis.
We can’t medicate hocks and fetlocks at the same time, so the vet suggested medicating the hocks which should stop him overloading the fronts, which will (hopefully) settle down on their own.
His hocks were medicated 9 days ago. He had 3 days off then I was told to ride but be guided by how he felt.
He doesn’t feel lame any more but is still reluctant (will walk, trot and canter but there is little impulsion)
I’m taking things gently, alternating walk hacks with gentle school work (so I can gauge how he feels). I’m not doing more than 30 minutes a day.
For those who have had successful hock injections, how quickly did you feel the effects?
I’m aware that for him to feel normal he needs to first feel comfortable in his hocks, then shift his balance to stop loading the forelimbs so it may take a bit longer.

spacefaer

Visit site
What did you medicate with?
I'd normally expect 2-3 weeks for steroids to show the majority of the difference.
I don't do arena work with horses with arthritic hocks though

HelenBack

Visit site
Mine felt better instantly when he had steroids but they didn't last long with him sadly. He went on to have arthramid and that took several weeks to kick in but he's still good about 18 months later.

I think it depends massively from one horse to the next though.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Steroids didn't last long with my mare either, she had firstly just the one hock done then both.

Arthramid has been a game changer. Chiro vet saw my mare recently and asked when her hocks were done with gel - which was August '20. She was incredibly impressed with how well the gel injections have lasted.

little_critter

Visit site
What did you medicate with?
I'd normally expect 2-3 weeks for steroids to show the majority of the difference.
I don't do arena work with horses with arthritic hocks though
He was medicated with steroids, I don’t know the specifics as I’ve not had the bill yet. He’s also having cartrofen injections.
The school work is gentle, staying on the outer track and lots of walk. I use it to gauge whether he feels better or not (as this is where I noticed his symptoms the most)
I would hack more but Ive noticed he struggles with downhills and we are in a very hilly area. I can only get a few 100m down the lane before we have to do a steep downhill. I’m also walking round the winter fields but they are very poached so the footing isn’t ideal.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I would say when my horses hocks are injected she is fine within 48hrs, i just take it easy for a few weeks, and they last well over a year each time. Although i will be asking for arthramid when she is next due for a healthier long term option. I know alot of the time it can take up to a month for steroid to take effect in some horses.

i still school and jump mine she is a fiesty warmblood and would be bored out of her head just hacking, i know alot of horses struggle in the school but if yours is happy to continue in the school it hasnt had any negative effects with mine after injecting.
She only has v mild arthritis in both hocks though .

Birker2020

Visit site
Steroids didn't work for mine, so we went to Tildren which also didn't work, so finally chemical arthrodesis (fusion with ethanol). This worked amazingly and the horse went back jumping on a surface and fun rides again for years after.

I know arthramid is the new treatment of choice now - not sure if this has overtaken CA in the efficacy stakes.

Visit site
I also didnt have astounding results with steroids. IRAP however was a total game changed for my mare. Improved after the first treatment and then continued to improve after. We also tried the Regenesis Vet injections as it is not as invasive and that also seemed to help quite a lot as a follow-up to keep her happy