hock stiffness (spavin?) and herbal supplements

Beast.of.Criftin

New User
Visit site
My horse has hock stiffness (bone spavin?). He drags his hind legs going down hill, hates jumping, cantering and going round on the lunge. A friend thought it might be bone spavin and after a bit of research my horse does have the symtoms. Before getting the vet (as he is not lame and happy out hacking) + dont want any more vets bills, but that a another story!
Does anyone have any success with herbal remedies / supplements such as Global herbs, hilton herbs etc?

Last edited:

mja

Visit site
I have not tried Global Herbs for joints etc but have tried their boxrest and found it a lifesaver compared to the mad horse I had if kept in 5 days before we had a fairly sweet lady for 5 weeks in!! I also know someone who liked their other products for joints etc.

To be honest I would recommend instead though a good herbalist who can make you up a mix as they use better quality herbs and fresh delivered to your door specifically for your horse. I have an horse with arthritic knees and have found supplements on the market to be of no help so all I could use was bute daily. Not being happy with this I tried as recommended a herbalist and my horse has went from lame in walk to being ridden in trot and canter and hacking for an hour again with herbs and nothing else.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
If your horse drags his feet going down hill and can't cope with cantering, jumping or lunging then I would say he isn't happy! Mine has spavins in both hocks - I thought he was "just a bit stiff". Vet came out for something else and pointed out to me that he was bilaterally lame behind.

If he has spavins then a herbal supplement isn't going to sort it, you need to get your vet. My horse had stopped jumping, was struggling with lateral work and struggling with left canter lead particularly... 12 months, 2 lots of steroid injections, 2 courses of Adequan and some physio later, he is now going fabulously. It is only in hindsight that I can now see how uncomfortable he really was, even just out hacking in straight lines....

Izzwizz

Visit site
Ditto chestnut cob. Mare I look after has spavin in both hocks. Shes had the Adequan injections and like yours, struggled down hill and in the school on circles. She completed the course of injections and was then on a supplement called Synequin from the vets. Hers was claimed under her insurance policy so she got 3 tubs of Synequin via this way. It is expensive - £150 per tub I believe, but it seemed to work for her and at 1 scoop every other day, worked out quite economical over time. The ingredients are very pure and thats what you pay for. Would suggest you get the vet to check your horse out, I know you dont want any more vet bills but unfortunately thats horses.!

Beast.of.Criftin

New User
Visit site
I know I should get the vet to check it out, but I just thought that there might be someone out there in cyberspace(!) who has had success with herbal supplements, and Global Herbs do products called Stongbone and Movefree.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I know I should get the vet to check it out, but I just thought that there might be someone out there in cyberspace(!) who has had success with herbal supplements, and Global Herbs do products called Stongbone and Movefree.

Well if you know you should get the vet to check it out then IMHO you are doing your horse a disservice by not doing so. You know your horse is uncomfortable and not having the money is no excuse for not getting the vet. Surely you have insurance? This will pay for the treatment.

applecart14

Visit site
I can understand your reluctance to call the vet, but if the horse has bone spavin the best outcome would be gained by having intra articular injections into the joint or a course of adequan or possibly tildren. Herbs although good, aren't really going to cut the mustard with such a problem. If you are insured it won't be a problem hun. x

Kenzo

Visit site
You'll probably save more money in the long run and get a better outcome by just getting the vet now and having it treated, rather than wasting money and time on trying supplements then getting the vet as you could cause further problems just by steady hacking.