Holiday feeding - am I being unreasonable?

peanut

Visit site
I feed my friends native pony (good doer who lives out) every morning Monday - Friday all year round because she can't afford the petrol to get there twice a day and also can't get up in the morning.

I've given her warning that I am on holiday in August and will not be up doing breakfast every day as mine doesn't need it but am happy to put a feed in at lunch time when I get there. She's really put out that I will not be making a special journey to feed her horse breakfast seeing as I'm not actually going away and will be at home (I can't afford to go away).

Btw, I look after her pony full time when she goes abroad for her holidays!

Am I being unreasonable?

LouS

Visit site
No, she's taking you for a mug!

If she can't afford to look after the pony she shouldn't have bought it.

ihatework

Visit site
With that attitude I'd be telling her to jog on and feed her own bloody pony in the mornings, irrespective of whether you are there or not!

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
No, she is. If you are doing this as a favour, she is really taking the mickey. If she is paying you, you are entitled to time off! If she can't get down in the morning then she will have to feed when she can, or pay someone else. She has bought the horse, she needs to take responsibility for it.

starryeyed

Visit site
No, she is. If you are doing this as a favour, she is really taking the mickey. If she is paying you, you are entitled to time off! If she can't get down in the morning then she will have to feed when she can, or pay someone else. She has bought the horse, she needs to take responsibility for it.

This!!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
this sounds like a situation I found myself in last year, then got called a selfish F'ing b*t*h because I asked her to do her own poo picking and because I didn't have time in between 2 jobs to go and feed her horse, even though she was on long term sick on full pay! so had all day to do it! and wasn't even really sick!

people do certainly take the piddle, but i'm sure like me you would worry about the poor horse if you weren't doing it, it would probably just get left!

mandwhy

Visit site
Sounds like a situation I would get into as well, but she is lucky you are doing it at all, can't believe she would think otherwise! People are ridiculous. Your offer of doing it at lunchtime should be more than adequate!

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Just a question if it is a good doer does it need feeding? My comp. horses are out and dont need feeding. If it is for a supplement it does not matter what time of day and I do hope she is paying you.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I feed my friends native pony (good doer who lives out) every morning Monday - Friday all year round because she can't afford the petrol to get there twice a day and also can't get up in the morning.

This is shocking, truly shocking; if your friend can't be @ssed to get up in the morning to see to her pony then she shouldn't have it. Full stop.

The other point is that IF as you say the pony is a native type which is a "good doer" AND lives out, then the thing to watch for is laminitis. This is something which the OWNER needs to be watching and taking responsibility for; having had a horse with lammi its not something that I'd ever want to deal with again, and you as her friend are really taking on a responsibility that should not be yours in seeing to her pony every day like this.

She's taking you for a fool; and I would suggest isn't perhaps such a good "friend" as you may believe her to be.

I'm just wondering: IF you are doing the pony in the mornings like this, then are you also allowed to ride it??? Because if so, you need to sit down with your friend and you both would benefit from doing up a proper sharer's agreement, which would detail exactly what duties you would both do, and when, and would be putting the whole thing on a much fairer arrangement.

So are you riding the pony??? Or is it all one-sided from your friend's point of view and she's basically taking the P!ss big-time.

IF you're not getting anything out of it, i.e. allowed to ride said pony, then WTF don't you just put your foot down and say you're not gonna do it anymore? Simples. Not your pony, not your problem.

If you ARE getting riding in return, you'd still both be well advised to get a sharer's agreement in place for everyone's benefit.