holiday with dog...locations!?

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Hi guys hoping to go somewhere with new dog in summer. We are happy to go north or south or anywhere reallyas we are midlands based so ok for travel.
We are hoping to get a cottage or something and be near to plenty of walks, and either beach or lakes or somewhere pup can venture in water!
Recommendations please...

With thanks han and bertie!!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Pembrokeshire....Little Dumpledale Farm......if you want nice, relaxed but not too posh.

Cornwall.....Helsbury Park.....if you want something a bit more up market.

Coastguard Cottage, Bamburgh, Northumberland, if you want something in-between.

All are close to beaches/on the beach and I've had between four and seven dogs at each of them.

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Couple of years ago we took my boy with us to Devon, he loved it! We stayed at Woolacombe bay in a caravan, but they also have chalet/cottage things. They provide a little doggie pack with toys and biscuits when you arrive. Right by the beach, and lovely countryside nearby to explore too.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I'm on my phone atm but will try and post some specific places/cottages when my internet is alive again!

But loads of dog walking here and dog friendly pubs, and v close to midlands :)

Toffee44

Visit site
Went on holiday with the dogs to Shropshire, Bishops Castle, had walks all over the place loved it. Not sure how I can holiday with three dogs this year :( Might go to scotland to visit OH nan, highland walking only 45min away from hers.

Inthemud

Visit site
We took ours to North Norfolk and stayed in a cottage. Great beaches and not too many summer dog restrictions on them. Check you have an enclosed garden though. Some places just had ditch boundaries and I had spaniels back then...

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
sykes cottages
wellcome cottages
some caravan parks allow dogs, kiln park tenby is one
pendine sands but the walking is rubbish as the MOD close the beach which was the very reason we booked there for the 7 miles of beach, had they mentioned the fact it is mostly closed, locals confirmed this I wouldn't have wasted my money, not saying I wanted to get blown up though lol but would have been nice to have been told the beach was closed on a regular basis like every day we were there

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
We took ours to North Norfolk and stayed in a cottage. Great beaches and not too many summer dog restrictions on them. Check you have an enclosed garden though. Some places just had ditch boundaries and I had spaniels back then...

Yes I have the same problem lol, went somewhere once that just had a wire fence, there was a river down the bottom of a hill the other side of the fence and she was just dieing to get to it, had to watch her all the time.

Stayed in a lovely one Dinas Cross, near fishguard, drove to Newport parog beach, you could walk all that beach and there was also a lovely path which you could follow then cross a golf course to another beach, the cottage has an enclosed garden and is reasonably priced

Naryafluffy

Visit site
Depends on how far you want to travel

www.lomondcottage.co.uk is lovely, loads of walking on the hilss around the loch or walking the loch shore.
My friend booked this for a week in July last year and 2 weeks in November, they supply all the wood etc for the fire, lovely views from the front and back of the house, enclosed large garden (think the front door was pretty much left open in July), really helpful owners who were able to recommend a dog sitter at very short notice due to unforseen circumstances that happened. We had 4 dogs in the living room easily (although we had to sit on the floor.....kidding)

I've booked www.tighnariddon.co.uk (shelduck) for April, right on the shore of Loch Riddon, lots of walking, including woodland walking incase there is livestock about at that time of year, this cottage have no objections to 4 dogs turning up (2 ridgebacks and 2 pointer crosses).

When I looked for the cottage above, my one thing that it had to have was a log burning stove, both humans and dogs love it (there were 2 veto'd because they didn't have one!!!).
http://www.coopercottages.com/ looked at them and they look lovely, but haven't been.

Trip advisor is really good as you can go to holiday rentals, put in the area and then filter to pet friendly and contact them to see about any restrictions.

ERB

Visit site
We stayed at the Elephant's Nest on Dartmoor back in December. Rooms are lovely, food amazing, great landlord and loads of walks. Would thoroughly recommend.

katie4002

Visit site
Stayed here with dog on the Suffolk/Norfolk border. Had an enclosed garden and lots and lots of dog friendly places near by, incl beaches, forest, woodland, parkland http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/Suffolk-Eye/The-Bothy-2582.html?mcomments=1#

Alternatively in Lake District either southlakeland holiday parks allow dogs or, for up market but absolutely lovely (and in Ambleside - the most dog friendly place I've ever visited, all the shops, cafes, pubs allow dogs in!) have a look at kirkstone foot apartments... http://www.kirkstonefoot.co.uk/ I recommend the Mardale appartment, it's in the garden house rather than the main house and again has it's own garden area.... fab walking from the doorstep!!

Katie x

katie4002

Visit site
Before I forget, ths place in Wiltshire is ABSOLUTELY great, again, lots and lots of walks from doorstep, straight down into park which then leads onto a disused railway path which goes for miles and miles; Wiltshire downs for walking and about 10 mins away from Avebury; 20 mins from Bath; 30 mins from Stonehenge; 10 mins from Devizes with lovely canal walks. Also 10 mins from gallops (on the A4 just before Avebury), which provide fab walks/runs for dogs after 12pm (horses exercised in mornings only).

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/england/e3889.htm

echodomino

Visit site
Another "vote" for Bamburgh Northumberland, it's beautiful up there I've been going nearly every year since I was born.

What about getting yourself a touring caravan? Much cheaper holidays and nearly all campsites allow dogs. We've got one and joined the Camping and Caravanning Club, we normally go away 4 times a year and nearly always take the dogs

Nothing Original

Visit site
Lake district vote for me - scotgate holiday park near Keswick is brilliant and dog friendly with a lovely pub 100yds away that allow dogs too.

Great walks with Buttermere being a personal favourite and a lovely lake for dogs to swim in.