Home Check for Rescue Centre

lassiesuca

Visit site
Hi ladies,

Just looking for some advice! Myself and my OH are in the process of rehoming a dog. We have reserved a lovely boy- a 2 year old yellow Labrador who we already love. We are just waiting to pass a homecheck which was supposed to be today but the lady coming has had to reschedule.

I'm incredibly nervous!

We live in an end of terrace split level maisonette so we have a front door on the ground floor and our own front garden, then go up the stairs to our lounge diner and kitchen. Then upstairs we have hallway and two large double bedrooms. One of which is empty in prep for it being dogs play room.

We have a garden but it's within the communal garden however only access route to the communal garden is via our front gate and only us and one other person has access to it really and they seldom use it. It's a large area, completely enclosed.

I work full time 9-5 however I am home every lunch time. I plan on taking our dog out every morning for an hour in the large enclosed field behind my house and then again for 1-2 hours of an evening down to the country park by me. At lunch times when I'm home for an hour I'll play with him loads too and check on him so he's only ever alone for a max of 4 hours a day. I rarely go out of an evening or weekend too. My local pub let's me bring dogs in too so he'd come along to the pub with me!

Also we are experienced dog owners. I used to grow up with my parents breeding Labs, have volunteered at a rescue kennels before looking after the dogs, and my OH has grown up with Labs too, raising them from puppies through to old age. We have so much love to give this dog, and I am trying not to get my hopes up TOO much in the case of being disappointed!

I'm so nervous. If you were doing a home check for a rescue dog would you approve? I've got so much love to give this dog already and so scared of being disappointed if we fail! Xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I would approve you but I have to tell you my SIL was turned down for a lab because she worked one hour a day during the week doing lunchtime at a school at the end of the road .
They already had a lab and had a large fully enclosed garden .
I was amazed .

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think it very much depends on the rescue . I used to home check for a rescue and whereas I think your set up sounds fine , the rescue probably wouldn't have agreed . I have to confess in cases like yours I would have been a little selective with the info I put on the home check form as to me the rescue were ott with their requirements.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Yes I would approve you but I have to tell you my SIL was turned down for a lab because she worked one hour a day during the week doing lunchtime at a school at the end of the road .
I was amazed .

How absurd! Mind you, a friend of mine who was an experienced dog owner with their own small farm...was turned down because their fences weren't high enough. They were regular post and rail with stock wire.

lassiesuca

Visit site
I was amazed .

Yes I have heard some stories of how tight these places are. I think these guys are pretty relaxed. They get full up and I had a long chat with the rescue charity about the dog and we were matched to him. I just am nervous! I'm sure all will be well but I know the smallest and silliest of things can cause you to fail!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I would approve you. I have to say though, I passed two home checks last year with their area reps and then was turned down by their head office-one for fences (I have them!) and one for working hours (declared on the form and to regional reps). Another rescue I had no problems with.

good luck!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Luckily we fit all the criteria (work from home, no children, walled garden, etc., etc.), but honestly, what do these rescues want? Practically all the very good, dog-owning, experienced would-be adopters I know have been turned down on the smallest of "infractions" - do they actually want to rehome dogs?

lassiesuca

Visit site
Thanks for the replies ladies, I think the place we've gone through are quite lenient. Our boy is coming over from Cyprus, they're always sending me videos of him and I think they're struggling with space at the kennels in Cyprus so I can't see why they'd turn down a loving home! But you never know. So gutted the homecheck was cancelled today, I am desperate to find out whether we have been approved or not!!

planete

Visit site
The only reason you could reasonably be turned down would be if your chosen dog was known to suffer from bad separation anxiety. This would obviously make your lives and his a misery as long as he suffered from it. Hopefully the rescue know the dog well enough to be confident he will be happy with your setup. Fingers crossed for you.

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
I think the majority are ott. We have been turned down twice. Once by a lurcher rescue and also by a german shepherd rescue. In both cases it was because we don't have an enclosed garden. We DO have a 20m x 40m dog run that we can use for off lead until we think it is safe and a new dog trusts us. We also do home boarding and the majority of dogs are off the lead after a couple of days and running around happy and confident. We have also walked hound pups for over 20 years. So we obviously don't understand dog behaviour at all.

Moobli

Visit site
I am sure I would pass you on that criteria too, but have resigned from volunteering at a breed rescue in the past because I found their criteria way too strict (as well as a few other issues). Did you tell the rescue centre on a form or on the telephone about your situation? If you did and they were happy with the communal garden etc then (fingers crossed) all will be ok.

Good luck. It sounds as though you will give this lad a great life.

lassiesuca

Visit site
The only reason you could reasonably be turned down would be if your chosen dog was known to suffer from bad separation anxiety. This would obviously make your lives and his a misery as long as he suffered from it. Hopefully the rescue know the dog well enough to be confident he will be happy with your setup. Fingers crossed for you.

We've been assured he is really good on his own- he's a typical Lab. He's content so long as he has bone to keep him preoccupied he will be fine! My OH has a month off in March so will be there to help him settle in and get into our routine of me being at work (my OH is in the Navy so lives in Portsmouth Mon-Thursday and then home Fri-Sun), so get him into the routine so he's content. Hopefully we shall have no issues!
Thank you! Keeping everything crossed!

lassiesuca

Visit site
I am sure I would pass you on that criteria too, but have resigned from volunteering at a breed rescue in the past because I found their criteria way too strict (as well as a few other issues). Did you tell the rescue centre on a form or on the telephone about your situation? If you did and they were happy with the communal garden etc then (fingers crossed) all will be ok.

Good luck. It sounds as though you will give this lad a great life.

Thank you! I hope we can give him the best life possible. He will certainly be adored! I know some of these rescues can be very strict, however prior to reserving the dog I explained my working situation and being out during lunch and they feel this shouldn't be a problem and about our communal area and again seemed content with that- so in theory we should be fine, but you never know! Something may come up! x

Moobli

Visit site
Thank you! I hope we can give him the best life possible. He will certainly be adored! I know some of these rescues can be very strict, however prior to reserving the dog I explained my working situation and being out during lunch and they feel this shouldn't be a problem and about our communal area and again seemed content with that- so in theory we should be fine, but you never know! Something may come up! x

Well that is all sounding very positive. I know we had to turn anyone down who had a communal entrance or communal garden immediately - which I always found a little narrow minded. I wish you the best of luck and this lad will be very lucky to come and live with you. Let us know how it goes.

pippixox

Visit site
We had a home check today and another on Sunday (in touch with a few charities as we want another GSD type, but we have a 5 month old baby, which means lots are not suitable).
I felt a bit nervous, but the lady was a lovely volunteer who had a quick look round and chatted for ages. Had to fill out answers to all the questions.

I think it really depends on the charity and the dog. I know they need standards (this volunteer also volunteers for cats protection and when I spoke about how my mum could not adopt due to being next to a main road, when all her neighbours have cats, she said she had found this quite a bit with cats protection) but sometimes they need to be realistic. They want the best for the dog, but overly fussy criteria means they will just be stuck in kennels, which is certainly worse

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I would pass you based on that criteria but it would very much depend on the dog. I also homecheck for a group which consists of various rescues both here and abroad and have been shocked at some ridiculous criteria. Some rescues send out page after page and I doubt I would pass some of them and you have to ask what is the point and do they ever actually rehome a dog.

Dont expect an answer from the homechecker because they will probably have to pass it back to the rescue who will make the ultimate decision, for the rescue I foster for its my decision but I dont tell people that. I ring the rescue later and explain that Im happy for my foster dog to go there, I then ring the adoptee and give them the good news.

lassiesuca

Visit site
Well we had the homecheck this afternoon. Woman was really friendly and I think it went really well. She said she couldn't see no reason to fail us as we had a nice set up, he will get plenty of love, attention, mental and physical exercise. She however has to pass information back onto the charity as she is a volunteer and then they will make the ultimate decision. So hopefully we will know by this evening or tomorrow whether it's a go! Hoping it is. Been so nervous for this check but it's done now and hopefully they liked what they say :). Will let you guys now xx

Moobli

Visit site
Well we had the homecheck this afternoon. Woman was really friendly and I think it went really well. She said she couldn't see no reason to fail us as we had a nice set up, he will get plenty of love, attention, mental and physical exercise. She however has to pass information back onto the charity as she is a volunteer and then they will make the ultimate decision. So hopefully we will know by this evening or tomorrow whether it's a go! Hoping it is. Been so nervous for this check but it's done now and hopefully they liked what they say :). Will let you guys now xx

Oh well done for standing up to scrutiny :) I will keep everything crossed for good news later.

lassiesuca

Visit site
Hi ladies!

So we passed. I'm so relieved and happy. I'm soooo excited for our new boy to arrive. He's so beautiful and I can't wait to give him all the kisses and cuddles and walks and happiness he could ever hope for!

lassiesuca

Visit site
Fantastic! I look forward to hearing how he settles. Photo please :)

album.php

hope this works. He's the bouncy yellow Lab! I love him so much already!

Last edited:

alainax

Visit site
Congratulations!

I had looked at getting a rescue but never got past the website as we have a young child. Its a shame as we can offer a wonderful home, but will have to buy a puppy instead. I can see why, I am sure they don't want to be sued by parents if a dog attacks a child, but has scuppered our chances of getting a rescue dog.

paulineh

Visit site
I had a home check about 3 weeks ago with Battersea, passed it and went to see a lovely little Cocker Spaniel. Have been several times and taken my other dogs with me. We all met her and they all got on well. She is very nervous and frightened. Today I got to stroke her and spent a while on my own with her. One of the managers came in to have chat. He went up to her but when I went up again she went under the table, Yes she is very nervous. They are now digging the heels in and saying she is afraid of me. I have over 50 years with dogs many many of them with dogs from rescue. They are not saying that I am not experienced enough and she would have a lovely home but they have to think of the dog and she did not seem happy. She has had a very sad start in life and she warrants some love in her life.

For all their adverts and TV programs saying they need homes, they have really upset me. The little one needs to get out of kennels and live in a loving home.

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
I had looked at getting a rescue but never got past the website as we have a young child. Its a shame as we can offer a wonderful home, but will have to buy a puppy instead. I can see why, I am sure they don't want to be sued by parents if a dog attacks a child, but has scuppered our chances of getting a rescue dog.

I think there is more to it than just being worried about a dog attacking a child. Obviously rescues want to make sure it is a permanent home, and that the dog is not going to be rehomed again. The trouble with having pre-school children in the house is that they obviously take up lots of time and attention themselves, and a dog who is settling into a new home also will need a lot of time and attention. If the dog needs lots of exercise and long walks that can be difficult with a toddler in tow. You see so many people offering dogs for rehoming because they cannot give it the time or attention it deserves due to the needs of small children, so I suppose the rescues feel that such a home is risky for those reasons as well.

pippixox

Visit site
We are hopefully picking up a rescue on Thursday- a 2 yo collie cross. We have a 5 month old baby, but big dog experience (previous 2 yo rescue GSD who needed puppy training and was reactive) and I offer an active lifestyle.

We have contacted 3 rescues and none were a definite no due to baby, just need to find the right dog. We did meet a 10 month old Gsd X and have a home check from a small charity, but they were not 100% how she would be living with a baby and rightly wanted this poor girl to have a certain home after 3 homes in her short life- not her fault. But 2 weeks later they messaged me to ask if I would be interested in a 2yo collie who lives with 3 under 6- being rehomed as single mum has no time so she has too much energy, but she is great with kids. Going to meet her Thursday :)

Yes I could of gone and bought a puppy and probably 85% of rescue dogs are not suitable (or they won't risk under 5s) but there are some out there desperate for a home.