Home made haybars?

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Hi,

I like my horses to eat hay from the floor but they seem to love dragging it through the bed and pooing on it, which seems to waste hay and bedding! With 8 stables I'm not too keen to splash out on that many haybars, and was wondering if anyone had made their own, and if so how did they do it and does it work?

Thanks in advance!

mainpower

Visit site
I have home made haybars. Simply get a sheet of ply cut to the size you want (to go across the corner of the stable) fix two battens either side of corner and slide ply behind. Have it fitted so it goes right to the floor to prevent a leg getting stuck under, and don't fix the ply to the battens so you can slide it out for easy cleaning.

holmedown

www.holmedownhighlands.com
moreorless same as above - 8x4 sheet of stirling board (thick) does 4 of my boxes (each 4 x 2ft) bit of batten - fit batten to wall and then I screwed board to batten but mine is just off the ground to enable me to sweep the hayseeds or whatever out. - brilliant don't know why I havent done it years ago.
Also I have american barn stables so have put them to front corner so I can just drop they plaits of hay / haylage in as I go past with the wheelbarrow !

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Cool, thanks. Does anyone have any pictures of any homemade ones? I'm not doing a very good job of explaining what I mean to our maintenance guy.