Homeless people and their dogs in shelters

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
After our old terrier died at the end of December, I said I was thinking that while we were between dogs, we might foster homeless people's dogs to enable them (the homeless people, not the dogs) to access winter shelters and all the associated help. Heard today that I won't be able to do that - for a very good reason, our local council has agreed to take the homeless person's dog into the winter shelter with them :) Which is really good news.

Equi

Visit site
Thats fabulous. I so feel for the homeless in winter esp with this weather. I donate to local charities and i have done a few collections but its the people on the ground getting these people to safety who deserve all the praise. I just hope theyre all safe tonight.

meleeka

Visit site
That’s good news. I wonder if all shelters will do this? It seems such a shame to deny people shelter because they have their pets best interests at heart.

Equi

Visit site
That’s good news. I wonder if all shelters will do this? It seems such a shame to deny people shelter because they have their pets best interests at heart.

Frankly it should be illegal. You can't keep a dog outside with no shelter, but you can keep a human outside because they have a dog? Weird.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site

Apparently it was a local decision, some local charities had a meeting with the council and got them to agree to dogs in shelters.