Honda Quad or Old Tractor to manage 4 acres

Cobbytype

Visit site
I have a 4 acre paddock which needs some tlc. We had a contractor do some work on the land last year, but by the time he got to me it was too dry to harrow and roll. This is an ongoing issue for us as there is such a narrow window of opportunity (between muddy and dry) to harrow and roll the land. Contractors are few and far between and the local ones are big farms and their machinery cannot get through our gates.

A local farmer can top the grass for us, but doesn't have a harrow or roller, so we need to do something ourselves.

I've a budget of £2k. Which would be best: a Honda Quad or an old tractor?

I'm hoping to be able to manage with a quad as I've nowhere to store a tractor undercover. My land is away from the house, so a tractor out in the open might attract thieves. My 2 donks and horse are out 24/7 in summer so I've their safety to think about and I don't want to end up with my gates/fencing being trashed by thieves.

The paddock is divided into 4 sections and we'd be working on them one at a time.

Also, can anyone recommend what type of harrow would be best for clay land? The choice is bewildering.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

millikins

Visit site
Not much advice but I am in a similar situation with 5 acres so will be following. I did go to our local mower shop who thought a ride on mower would be suitable for my set up (well drained) and it could pull a little harrow. They advised against quad bikes as much too desirable for local tea leaves.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I harrow and roll our 7 acres with a sorn'd Shogun, and before that a sorn'd Montego. Whilst I hanker after either a tractor or a quad, tbh I manage ok with what we've got. I've got a 5' ballast roller and a set of grass harrows, plus an arena leveller.

It's great to be be able to get on the land when the conditions are exactly right. I'm on loam, and the drier parts are sometimes ready for harrowing/rolling weeks before the wetter parts.

I'd suggest that a set of grass harrows would be better at breaking up dry clay than chain harrows, which would just bounce over the top. I've got Arenamate grass harrows.

http://www.arenamate.co.uk/product/arenamate-grass-harrow-smallholder/

Cobbytype

Visit site
I harrow and roll our 7 acres with a sorn'd Shogun, and before that a sorn'd Montego. Whilst I hanker after either a tractor or a quad, tbh I manage ok with what we've got. I've got a 5' ballast roller and a set of grass harrows, plus an arena leveller.

It's great to be be able to get on the land when the conditions are exactly right. I'm on loam, and the drier parts are sometimes ready for harrowing/rolling weeks before the wetter parts.

I'd suggest that a set of grass harrows would be better at breaking up dry clay than chain harrows, which would just bounce over the top. I've got Arenamate grass harrows.

http://www.arenamate.co.uk/product/arenamate-grass-harrow-smallholder/

I hadn't thought of a SORN - thanks, that's an excellent idea Tiddlypom. Stupid question, but does a standard car tow bar need modifying for the harrow & roller fittings?

only_me

Visit site
We've both.
We have approx 10 acres split in 2 fields, the tractor is used to roll and harrow as needed and lift bales etc. The quad is used for spraying weeds mostly and if I can be bothered poo picking a bad area. Also use it for a ragwort pulling and then used for other non-field stuff.

tbh the tractor gets used more, as it does more. Can you get a shed built for tractor? It would take up probably half an acre so might be too much. Or you could ask to keep it at your local farmer?

CPayne

Visit site
I'm on clay and have the arenamate grass harrow. I have pulled it with a Land Rover and a quad. It has an adjustable height hitch so it's level on either. We also have a towable flail mower and a spreader so that we only need the farmer for cutting the hedges as, as with you, we needed to be able to maintain different fields at different times.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Shogun has a combined ball and pin tow ball, seen here with the arena leveller, which like my grass harrows has a conventional tow hitch. My ballast roller attaches to the pin part of the tow ball, but you can get rollers with conventional hitches.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Lots of food for thought and it looks as though my modest budget will get something suitable.

Thanks for all the tips.

Asha

Visit site
If you can get a cheap tractor I'd go for that idea . We have a quad, which takes care of a lot of the maintenance, but obviously can't cope with the heavier bulkier stuff. I use my hubbies forklift for that, but in an ideal world a tractor would do everything I needed

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Quad bikes are being stolen night after night round here. Two neighbours have each lost two. They are even breaking into locked sheds to get them out. I'd get a rusty old tractor.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Cheap tractor for sure, it'll be fine living outside and way less of a thief magnet than a quad. And FAR more versatile. And will hold it's value or go up!

If you can't find one a SORNd 4x4 a cheap alternative. Ideally go for a little one, RAV or Jimny.

popsdosh

Visit site
We've both.
We have approx 10 acres split in 2 fields, the tractor is used to roll and harrow as needed and lift bales etc. The quad is used for spraying weeds mostly and if I can be bothered poo picking a bad area. Also use it for a ragwort pulling and then used for other non-field stuff.

tbh the tractor gets used more, as it does more. Can you get a shed built for tractor? It would take up probably half an acre so might be too much. Or you could ask to keep it at your local farmer?

Must be a very big tractor there? their waterproof and can live out ! A quad would last 24hrs parked outside.

just remember a tractor will do most jobs a quad can! A quad can only do very few a tractor is capable of.

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
Tractor will presumably have a PTO and hydraulics so better for the sort of kit that needs those (topper, framed harrows etc). Quad can have a spray pack fitted, which is what I use mine for mostly. Sorned 4x4 will tow but not sure if the electrics will support a spray pack. You pays your money and you takes your choice - my quad lives in my garage at home, they are eminently thievable but you can safeguard them, tractor not so easy to find a lock up for.

popsdosh

Visit site
Quad bikes are being stolen night after night round here. Two neighbours have each lost two. They are even breaking into locked sheds to get them out. I'd get a rusty old tractor.

They will nick them from anywhere ! Im hoping our latest ploy stops them We have bolted a platform into the apex of the workshop and the quad is placed up there on a pallet with the teleporter. A bit extreme but they are very diligent in finding them.
Satellite systems out of tractors are the latest must have circa 10k to replace each one.

popsdosh

Visit site
Tractor will presumably have a PTO and hydraulics so better for the sort of kit that needs those (topper, framed harrows etc). Quad can have a spray pack fitted, which is what I use mine for mostly. Sorned 4x4 will tow but not sure if the electrics will support a spray pack. You pays your money and you takes your choice - my quad lives in my garage at home, they are eminently thievable but you can safeguard them, tractor not so easy to find a lock up for.

You can just as easily fit a spray pack to a tractor or 4x4 even slightly larger.

Dry Rot

Visit site
When chain harrows get worn, the links start falling off! A temporary fix is to hit them with a large hammer to tighten up the joints, if you see hat I mean. Mine have got to that stage now and I need a new set (£600:(). The old set are still workable and will be for sale for what the scrap dealers will give me. I am in the north of Scotland but you might find someone local with an old set that could still have an active life if you advertise. Gumtree?

Get the right old tractor and it could appreciate in value! I've an MF135, probably worth twice what I paid for it.

only_me

Visit site
Must be a very big tractor there? their waterproof and can live out ! A quad would last 24hrs parked outside.

just remember a tractor will do most jobs a quad can! A quad can only do very few a tractor is capable of.

Nope our tractor goes in our normal shed and it's small to medium sized. The reason you will need a bigger shed is so you can store the harrow/roller/spike etc.!!

pennyturner

Visit site
You can get all sorts of useful stuff that needs the 3 point linkage. Tipping trailer, forks, loader, post knocker. ATV's are good for longer distances - think hill farming - but a tractor is your man for versatility. You will use it for things you never imagined. My current favourite gadget is a PTO mounted compressor, but it's the pallet forks I use most. Your ATV can't pick up 12 bales on a pallet!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Nope our tractor goes in our normal shed and it's small to medium sized. The reason you will need a bigger shed is so you can store the harrow/roller/spike etc.!!

Still won't need half an acre for it though!?!?

For what it's worth we have a small Kubota tractor, chain harrows, roller and topper, all just stored in a sheltered area and small shed which takes up probably a 4x5m area.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
A drive on mower isn't that useful to be honest - we've got 3 acres and it def. wasn't man enough for the job. We also have a quad and harrowed with that for the last 2 years until this year when we put the harrow onto the Kia and towed it with that which did a far better job. I would say a little tractor would be best and the most versatile.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
I use my quad (Kawasaki 650cc) to harrow and roll my clay land. The harrow is just a basic chain harrow and it does a good job.

But, as others have mentioned, quads do attract the wrong sort of attention, so in your position I'd probably just go for the 4x4 and a chain harrow option.

Shazzababs

Visit site
We have 4 acres and a compact tractor. Its a Siromer, we have had it 10 years and its been worth the outlay.

But with the exception of topping, which needs the PTO we could do most of the work with a 4x4.

pennyturner

Visit site
Just wanted to add, don't be afraid of the REALLY old Fergies and similar. You can get parts very easily (have a look on ebay - cheap and plentiful), and they're designed to be fixed in a field with a lump hammer. They'll hold their value better than a modern but elderly Japanese thing.