Honest advice needed

opgr1234

Visit site
I have had my TB gelding for nearly ten years, hes been in and out of work, done a bit of competing but never been ruined. He can be naughty, especially when not in regular work. last winter he was off work for several weeks with hoof abscesses and generally my work life left me little time to ride so he was a very expensive stabled pet.

I am now wanting to go away travelling but am in a conundrum .. i am hesitant to sell him as he is now an older boy (15 yo), not easy and i couldn't guarantee he would go to a good home, although he still could be ridden and still has plenty more life in him. So i am considering retiring him to grass so he can live as a horse. He has wintered out before and been OK but i still feel like that will be me neglecting him.

Does anyone have any stories of TBs retired to grass? Are they happy or do the need more care/stabling?

Hard to know what to do any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

cbmcts

Visit site
Where I used to keep my old boys there were quite a few retired TBs. They did really well :) Out 24/7 on good, regularly changed grazing. The only difference between them and the natives is that they were rugged in winter.

How old is he? There's a big difference between 14 and 24 years old...

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
We retired my daughter’s TB to grass at 18, she loved it and looked fantastic. We moved her in May so she had time to adjust before her first winter out. Our vet and farrier both agreed she was in great condition and she was so much easier to handle as she was so content.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Our tb is 18 and retired with the occasional gentle hack.
He is happier than he has ever been. He lives out 24/7/365, has feed and rugged in winter otherwise left untouched.
We go up every day, he gets checked, groomed, and the rest of the time just does what horses do.

opgr1234

Visit site
hes just turned 15 yesterday... Happy birthday jack!

Where I used to keep my old boys there were quite a few retired TBs. They did really well :) Out 24/7 on good, regularly changed grazing. The only difference between them and the natives is that they were rugged in winter.

How old is he? There's a big difference between 14 and 24 years old...

Littlebear

Visit site
Pls don’t feel guilty, I have a wb x tb she went to live out when she went on foal she was delighted about it! Couldn’t have given a monkeys, as long as they have food, shelter, company and water they won’t care one bit!

J&S

Visit site
It is just because it is a different life for him that you feel guilty. Different can even be better!

exracehorse

Visit site
Unfortunately my ex racer couldn’t cope with being out 24/7 Was miserable. And I always keep mine out as natural as possible. He was quite happy being in his stable. By himself. While the others were out. I know he couldn’t have coped in retirement livery. I had him for many years and he never changed.

Visit site
It's easy to get a tb to live out 24/7 if they of the right mentality. Obviously some don't and won't ever cope but many do. I had 1 out all year round for 6 years perfectly happily before I lost him to a daft field accident. My other 2 are more than happy to stay out 24/7 - they did when they were in training as racehorses (due to various reasons!) They are in overnight in winter because it saves my ground a bit but I know they would prefer to be out. So long as they have suitable rugs, food and shelter they are generally fine. The time without shoes on does them the world of good too!

Is putting him out on loan out of the question?

When do you plan on going travelling?

What if you gave yourself 2 months to find a loaner whilst getting him used to being out 24/7 so if no one suitable appears he is ready for the rest of the year out.

opgr1234

Visit site
End of the summer/year depending on how organised/good at saving i am! I could put him on loan but i think i would worry more if i do not know who he is with. At least if he is turned away i know what hes doing. And he can be naughty so i wouldn't want someone trying to give him back when im the other side of the world if they decide hes too much. I've tried finding sharers before and even that's been hard! I guess he is a horse and they are meant to be in the field and he is pretty tough, bar his feet which have abscessed quite a lot this year in muddy sandy ground. But with good grass covering hes been good before so hoping that if the ground is right his feet will be ok. He's out 24/7 now and is fine but its spring....

Goldenstar

Visit site
It depends on the horse some will , some will be miserable and some will be happier than they have ever been .

Shay

Visit site
Who will look after him whilst you are away? As others have said there is no reason not to rough him off (whether you consider it as retirement livery or just for a year or so and possibly bring back into work) but someone still has to check daily etc. As long as you trust them to look after him and could bring him in if the winter is really horrible or he just doesn't cope then he'll be fine.