Honeymoon OR Horse.... :)

armywag

Visit site
We are getting married in May and are looking into booking our honeymoon in Africa, I have just been browsing the horses for sale page and sent my OH a few links (wish lists!)
His reply was “we could always sack off the honeymoon and put the money towards the horse fund instead!” Hmmmmm! :)

(I have always had horses and do eventually plan to have another.. it’s just getting the initial funds together.)

Lady La La

Visit site
Congrats on the wedding :)

Could you not have a less expensive honeymoon, even somewhere in the UK, as a nice break. God knows if your wedding prep is anything like mine you'll need it! that way you could put the majority of the money you saved towards the horse, and still get a break?

Allie5

Visit site
Honestly? If your new hubby is in the army I think you should have your honeymoon. My husband leaves for Afghanistan in a few months and I treasure every second we get together. Horses will always come up for sale but you'll never get back the thrill of a very special honeymoon!

poorchickens

Visit site
Ha ha! I would say get the horse. OH gave me this decision - well he actually said, 'If I buy you a horse, we won't go on a honeymoon.' So I paid for the horse instead and am still waiting for the honeymoon 7 months after we got married :rolleyes:

I now say yes to all offerings he makes (horsey ones :p ) at the time! Hello new dressage saddle!

SamanthaG

Visit site
Could you not do both, cut the price of each or one?

I would chose the honeymoon, your hubby said you can get a horse but does he 100% mean that? You dont want it to be something that comes between you both

armywag

Visit site
Honestly? If your new hubby is in the army I think you should have your honeymoon. My husband leaves for Afghanistan in a few months and I treasure every second we get together. Horses will always come up for sale but you'll never get back the thrill of a very special honeymoon!

That is very true! He has been away a lot lately too. Hope these few months dawdle.. thinking of you

woodtiger

Visit site
I have just returned from the most amazing honeymoon in Kenya and Zanzibar. I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and whilst we are now skint and having to regroup with the finances, I've got next year to look forward to when I will (hopefully) have saved enough to start seriously looking for a youngster. Plus we've got the memories of a holiday of a lifetime AND when you book a honeymoon straight after your wedding you get all sorts of freebies: we had flowers, a basket of fruit, chocolate cakes and a flight upgrade! You don't get tha on a normal holiday!

armywag

Visit site
I have just returned from the most amazing honeymoon in Kenya and Zanzibar. I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and whilst we are now skint and having to regroup with the finances, I've got next year to look forward to when I will (hopefully) have saved enough to start seriously looking for a youngster. Plus we've got the memories of a holiday of a lifetime AND when you book a honeymoon straight after your wedding you get all sorts of freebies: we had flowers, a basket of fruit, chocolate cakes and a flight upgrade! You don't get tha on a normal holiday!

Good tip on the freebies! :)

I think we will go for the honeymoon then save like mad after! Only thing im thinking about now if its Winter in SA in June! :/

ThePony

Visit site
Unless it reallt is a once in a lifetime, never to be up for sale again type horse then I would go for the honeymoon! Though total bonus brownie points for your oh for suggesting it, proof that he is the one!!

Without putting a bleak downer on things, spend time with your oh and enjoy experiences and making memories with them. I lost my oh after just 2 years of marraige, I'm so glad I have memories of our wonderful honeymoon.

princess_skills

Visit site
Horse! When he's away you will have something to keep you company, whereas a honeymoon is just another holiday lol. Plus I know a few very nice horses for sale in Essex :)

Twiglet

Visit site

This ^^ (from another Army WAG). Although having said that, I'm planning on getting a new horse just before the boyf goes on tour next year....I think a nice young warmblood might be the only thing that distracts me for six months!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I would say Honeymoon, your soon to be Husband is in the army which will likely include a tour to somewhere such as Afghanistan, where there is a high risk that he could get killed in action.

There will always be horses for sale but your husband may not come home one day.

When you buy the horse then you are unlikely to go away on holiday again especially if finances are tight to pay for holiday and someone to care for your horse. Take the honeymoon whilst you are horse free and enjoy it, then settle down looking for a horse.

Our summer is South Africas winter, having spent June 2010 in SA I can tell you the nights are cold but the days can be a very pleasant temperature. SA summers on the hand (our winters) have temperatures +40C.