Hoof Armour

Matafleur

Visit site
Who can tell me more about hoof armour? Where can I buy it in the UK and is it easy to apply?

I bought a horse in March who was shod in front and whipped his shoes straight off, I'm really pleased with how they've changed but we have very stony tracks out to the fields which he is stoic about but doesn't enjoy. I was hoping using the armour would just keep him a bit more comfortable as he adjusts. I don't want to use boots because the yard often fetch him in and I don't want the bother for them. He's very happy on tarmac, grass or the arena, just want to give him a bit more help.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My farrier really rates it and applies it but I think you a bit to far over and out of his area. From talking to him it is really important that the hoof it completely clean and dry before applying it and you may need two or three coats for it to be effective. I think it is a type of epoxy resin with glass fibre bits in it which is what makes it so tough. If you want to buy some look at the US Hoof Armour website and they have a section on where to buy it in different countries. UK is about half way down the page.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've used it ,look up hoof armour UK on Google for the UK supplier. It does work quite well for soft or thin soles.

Mule

Visit site
I've used it and found it well worth it. I got it online. My farrier put it on for me but it doesn't look hard. You clean the hoof, rub it with a wire brush, put on the hoof armour, then coat the bottom of the hoof with talcum powder.