Hoof boot advice

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Horse is a TB X Cob with rubbish feet. From a conformational point of view they are big and flat with little hoof wall. They flare and split quickly. She's on loan and you can see the new growth from the coronet band is much better since we've had her as better quality grazing etc. Farrier has suggested that we try hoof boots instead of shoeing this time to give her feet a break and wait for new growth. She hasn't been doing anything lately so has been unshod in the field.
I've never used boots and have no real idea where to start. Any particular brand/type that fits well and is uncomplicated to use??

cobsarefab

Visit site
Have a look at scoots. Heard lots of good things about them. Another livery at the yard uses cavellos to and absolutely loves and highly recommends them as they're easy to use and are very secure.

Last edited:

Nudibranch

Visit site
I'm on my 5-6th pair of Cavallos over 4 different horses. Simples are exactly that. The Sport are good too though they suit longer feet. Haven't tried the Treks yet. The only one that didn't work was the Bigfoot, but that horse is basically impossible to fit anything to from the ear down.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Have a look at the hoof boutique, very helpful lady!

Another one saying contact Hoof Bootique, Liz there is great and very knowledgable about all things boot. It's also worth following the guidance on their website to measure your horse's hooves and see which make would be a best fit for your horse. People can say which boots have worked well for their horses (personally I love my renegade vipers) but the best boots will be the ones that best fit your horse's hoof shape and size.

tda

Visit site
We use scoots, fairly easy to put on and take off once you get the hang of it
I've got two sizes over 3 ponies so something always fits. Haven't lost one yet, just one twisted round a bit on the pony with a big gait

millikins

Visit site
Have a look at the hoof boutique, very helpful lady!

This.

I am just starting on barefoot and boots, small pony's arrived yesterday, seem to fit so will try them today. We sent lots of photo's to Liz and have bought what she has recommended. I want some for the Connie too but our pictures weren't good enough so will re do them.

Hipo

Visit site
I have Cavallo Trek boots for my Exmoor and have found them really easy to use and secure. They come up big in size, I measured her on the guide just into a size 3, and have ended up with a size 1.

Kat

Visit site
I have been using hoof boots for years, my horse is difficult to fit and since transitioning now only wears boots occasionally so I have stuck with cavallo simples as they are cheap (£90 for a pair so two shoeing cycles and they have paid for themselves) and easy to use. I also like that you can put a pad in for extra comfort.

The fitting advice on hoof boutique is good, also try the equine podiatry supplies wensite and the saddlery shop. Equine podiatry supplies is best for pads as they do their own as well as the branded ones.

A few tips:
To help you measure stand the horse on cardboard and draw round the foot.
When trying the boot on to keep it clean clingfilm or an old sock on the hoof
Rather than buying gaiters to help prevent rubbing a sock will do the job.

millikins

Visit site
I have been using hoof boots for years, my horse is difficult to fit and since transitioning now only wears boots occasionally so I have stuck with cavallo simples as they are cheap (£90 for a pair so two shoeing cycles and they have paid for themselves) and easy to use. I also like that you can put a pad in for extra comfort.

The fitting advice on hoof boutique is good, also try the equine podiatry supplies wensite and the saddlery shop. Equine podiatry supplies is best for pads as they do their own as well as the branded ones.

A few tips:
To help you measure stand the horse on cardboard and draw round the foot.
When trying the boot on to keep it clean clingfilm or an old sock on the hoof
Rather than buying gaiters to help prevent rubbing a sock will do the job.

Are they likely to rub Kat or is that just in case?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
hoof boots working depends on good fit :), all of the UK retailers are very helpful (I don't think urban horse has been mentioned). It is often best if you can hold the hoof and the tape measure together for length and width so that they can see the shape of the hoof too.

Generally speaking the lower profile boots have been designed for well transitioned barehooves... however Frank went straight into easyboot gloves and the same pair were still functional and fitting when I gave them away 4 years later :p.

Having experienced some of the alternatives that I think are great for some things, I do have a personal preference for the lower profile types of boots with regards to how the horse moves, not altering break over too much etc, because even they do change the movement a bit. - So gloves/renegades/scoots.

Do you have feathers to consider?

Kat

Visit site
Are they likely to rub Kat or is that just in case?

Mine have never rubbed and my mare is a bit of a delicate flower but as they come up above the coronet band it is possible. The simples are leather so you can soften them up with some leather balm.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Are you sure you are measuring them correctly? I know Old Macs used to do wider than long, but not sure if they would fit that much wider than long...
Have you tried leading out barefoot to see how horse would cope with transitioning to barefoot? You may get away without boots if you don't have stony tracks, because hooves tend to be hard at this time of year. If horse is struggling led though, you will need a lot of commitment and time, and boots would be the best option if you want to keep riding.

huskydamage

Visit site
Mine have never rubbed and my mare is a bit of a delicate flower but as they come up above the coronet band it is possible. The simples are leather so you can soften them up with some leather balm.

How long do you have them on for if you don't mind me asking? I was using them for short 30min rides and they were great i went out for 1hr40 yesterday and they rubbed her heels esp on one foot. Now i feel like i need to chuck them or do something to them :(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It does depend on the horse- mine is terrible for rubs anyway, and the fit- it only had to be a little tighter on heel bulbs to rub. I know people had issues with the original glove gaiters rubbing so they made two part ones, we never had that issue.

I’ve had simples and sports and iirc the sports should have just been slimmer but definitely fitted tighter on the heel bulbs and did rub without socks.

OP did you take a pic with the tape measure?

Kat

Visit site
How long do you have them on for if you don't mind me asking? I was using them for short 30min rides and they were great i went out for 1hr40 yesterday and they rubbed her heels esp on one foot. Now i feel like i need to chuck them or do something to them :(

When I first had them I was rehabbing so built up slowly but I have done 3or 4hrs in them. When I bought a new pair (because we are rehabbing a different injury and her feet are struggling) we just cracked on with usual length hacks.

She rubs really easily (numnah bindings,
rubber over reach boots and even a plain leather cavesson have been an issue) but the boots have never been an issue.

spookypony

Visit site

Like new shoes on people, they may need to get used to them! But there are plenty of things you can do to prevent rubbing, depending on the boot type and where the rubbing is. Talcum powder often works well, or a bit of polar fleece, neoprene, or a sock for padding. We do endurance, so wearing boots for 8 hours is not uncommon.