Hoof Boot Fittings

Apizz2019

Visit site
Hi all,

Does anyone have recommendations of hoof boot fitters in the Northants area?

There are so many boots available and I'm worried at my ability to measure correctly, so I'd rather someone who is able and experienced to do this, does it instead of me faffing around and Lilley getting it completely wrong.

Thanks in advance!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
What millikins said ? Metal tape measure is necessary with clean dry hooves which have recently been trimmed. Hoof Boutique offer a great service and Liz will be able to tell you the best boots for the shape of foot. She also does shell kits and sends you different sizes so you can chose the one that works best before buying. I used them when fitting my boy for his Renegades and it took all the guess work out of it.

paddy555

Visit site
I would put your question on FB. There are several BF groups, "barefoot horses UK" "barefoot approach to whole horse health" and probably others.
There will be trimmers and their client's on there and maybe someone in your area.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did the same, but Hoof Boutique were very busy and I went to Urban Horse who were available. I took photos withe the tape measure in, as per their photos. They then sent 2 fit kits of the type most likely to fit, to see which boots would likely fit without being stuck buying one if I damaged it trying it on. They wanted photos and a video of the boot on the horse to help me, they sent me more boots but in fact my horse was tricky to fit and none were ideal. I was very disappointed as I was poised to buy brand new boots, but nothing was right. The only ones that actually went on, also twisted round with almost no pressure.

I then, on recommendation, tried Renegades that in theory should be too tight, but someone thought they might fit. I bought them via Google search, looking for second hand (being as they might not have fitted and I didn't want to spend a deal on something that might not be right) but found some new on sale (as they were enormous). I tried them on, but wrapped the hoof in cling film and used a square of carpet. Lucky really, as they didn't fit! TBH though, it was cheaper to buy, be careful to try, and return, than it was to hire fit kits. They were FAB, it was The Saddlery Shop, but said the same as Urban Horse about my horse having tricky feet to fit. They would have recommended the same boots as Urban Horse.

I have finally ended up with some where I had tried the fit kit, but they were like wellies in the fit kit, so I didn't want them. I reasoned that of he had a lami attack, I would pad them out anyway, so cheap secondhand boots as a standby was a sensible idea. I found some older versions, brand new on sale, and I thought I may as well have them as they weren't much more than secondhand ones. The boots are actually OK, as the fit kit is just the shells, and the shell was too loose, on its own, but the tops tighten them up sufficiently. I have been walking out in them and all is good so far.

So, the fit kits were good to a point, but I spent about £40 on them for hire/postage. Buying and trying carefully is cheaper. It also lets you try the whole boot, not just the bottom shell - this made the boot a different ft for me. In my case, secondhand (which I was looking for but didn't find) would have been the worst option in that I would have been left with boots that didn't fit. I could have sold them on though.

Last edited:

Apizz2019

Visit site
What millikins said ? Metal tape measure is necessary with clean dry hooves which have recently been trimmed. Hoof Boutique offer a great service and Liz will be able to tell you the best boots for the shape of foot. She also does shell kits and sends you different sizes so you can chose the one that works best before buying. I used them when fitting my boy for his Renegades and it took all the guess work out of it.
Thank you, they're on my list to contact!

Apizz2019

Visit site
I did the same, but Hoof Boutique were very busy and I went to Urban Horse who were available. I took photos withe the tape measure in, as per their photos. They then sent 2 fit kits of the type most likely to fit, to see which boots would likely fit without being stuck buying one if I damaged it trying it on. They wanted photos and a video of the boot on the horse to help me, they sent me more boots but in fact my horse was tricky to fit and none were ideal. I was very disappointed as I was poised to buy brand new boots, but nothing was right. The only ones that actually went on, also twisted round with almost no pressure.

I then, on recommendation, tried Renegades that in theory should be too tight, but someone thought they might fit. I bought them via Google search, looking for second hand (being as they might not have fitted and I didn't want to spend a deal on something that might not be right) but found some new on sale (as they were enormous). I tried them on, but wrapped the hoof in cling film and used a square of carpet. Lucky really, as they didn't fit! TBH though, it was cheaper to buy, be careful to try, and return, than it was to hire fit kits. They were FAB, it was The Saddlery Shop, but said the same as Urban Horse about my horse having tricky feet to fit. They would have recommended the same boots as Urban Horse.

I have finally ended up with some where I had tried the fit kit, but they were like wellies in the fit kit, so I didn't want them. I reasoned that of he had a lami attack, I would pad them out anyway, so cheap secondhand boots as a standby was a sensible idea. I found some older versions, brand new on sale, and I thought I may as well have them as they weren't much more than secondhand ones. The boots are actually OK, as the fit kit is just the shells, and the shell was too loose, on its own, but the tops tighten them up sufficiently. I have been walking out in them and all is good so far.

So, the fit kits were good to a point, but I spent about £40 on them for hire/postage. Buying and trying carefully is cheaper. It also lets you try the whole boot, not just the bottom shell - this made the boot a different ft for me. In my case, secondhand (which I was looking for but didn't find) would have been the worst option in that I would have been left with boots that didn't fit. I could have sold them on though.
Sounds tricky - I'm hoping ours isn't too tricky to fit!

Thank you.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I would put your question on FB. There are several BF groups, "barefoot horses UK" "barefoot approach to whole horse health" and probably others.
There will be trimmers and their client's on there and maybe someone in your area.
Great idea, I'll do that. Thank you ?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

I did that ages ago and most people just told me their favourite boot, ignoring whether they would fit and lots suggested I have my horse feet trimmed to fit whichever boot they liked.

However fb good for secondhand boots as you can try them, use them a few times if they are borderline and sell on if they don't work losing very little. Maybe after getting some recommendations. There are some specific groups for selling hoof boots.

I've just got some perfect boots for my horse at half the new price, hardly used. The person I bought them from had them professionally fitted but they didn't suit the horse.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I did that ages ago and most people just told me their favourite boot, ignoring whether they would fit and lots suggested I have my horse feet trimmed to fit whichever boot they liked.

However fb good for secondhand boots as you can try them, use them a few times if they are borderline and sell on if they don't work losing very little. Maybe after getting some recommendations. There are some specific groups for selling hoof boots.

I've just got some perfect boots for my horse at half the new price, hardly used. The person I bought them from had them professionally fitted but they didn't suit the horse.
Thank you, all food for thought. I don't want to be bombarded with boots for sale.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Thank you, all food for thought. I don't want to be bombarded with boots for sale.

I didn't get bombarded with anything and you can browse what is for sale, you don't have to post a wanted ad.

It was just that I asked for suggestions that suited a particular hoof shape and people just suggested what they liked even if they suited the opposite shape. A bit like asking for what saddles suit a native and I post about what suits my tb.

HappyHollyDays

Visit site
Definitely look at the FB pages, they are useful but get the boots that fit first so you know what you need. I am after some second hand Renegades but nothing in DP’s size ever come up so I’m considering the Explora Magic Boots now as they are cheaper.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I didn't get bombarded with anything and you can browse what is for sale, you don't have to post a wanted ad.

It was just that I asked for suggestions that suited a particular hoof shape and people just suggested what they liked even if they suited the opposite shape. A bit like asking for what saddles suit a native and I post about what suits my tb.
Thanks. I'm going to measure up today.... This could be fun.

Apizz2019

Visit site
The Saddlery Shop are another one to try, they helped me fit boots to our wee welshy.
Thanks so much, everyone has been super helpful!

I found a chap who fits scoot boots so am pondering getting him to come out but then there is the issue of him only having one brand to try..

HappyHollyDays

Visit site
Scoots are great if they fit the shape of the foot. Nice low profile, easy to get on and off and a friend who uses them never has any issues with them rubbing or flying off mid canter. If they don’t work at least you will have had a fitter who knows what they are doing which can only be a good thing. Good luck and hope they work out for you.

millikins

Visit site
Thanks so much, everyone has been super helpful!

I found a chap who fits scoot boots so am pondering getting him to come out but then there is the issue of him only having one brand to try..

Scoots fit my daughter's dales mare beautifully, she has broad, fairly shallow feet. They didn't fit the connie who has far more "hoof shaped" hooves, he's happy in Easyboot Trails although they are a bit fiddly to put on.

Apizz2019

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice.

I contacted The Hoof Boutique and Urban Horse and was recommended Cavallos...

Sadly, they don't fit as our pony has quite boxy feet, wider than longer, so choices are limited and the Cavallos were too snugs on his heel bulbs for my liking.

We're going to try Hoof Armor instead....

This wet weather is playing havoc with feet ?