Hoof Boot People

Tapir

Visit site
I am a total newbie to hoof boots and I've just bought some cavallo sport hoof boots for my companion pony who I take for in hand hacks to manage her weight. I'm planning on her just wearing them over the stony parts of our hacks which she's been struggling a bit with and taking them off on the roads as the tarmac should be good for her feet and she's fine walking on it.

What do you do about bridleways that have both stony and muddy sections? Does the mud get into the boots and rub? Is this what the gaiter things are for?

Also, the boots seem to fit well lengthwise at the moment, she was trimmed just over a week ago, but her hooves grow quickly. Do I have to accept that the boots might not fit when the farrier is due? I can't really get him much more often as I only have the two and the farrier comes when my ridden pony is due for shoeing.

webble

Visit site
I used to have to get my mare trimmed every 5 weeks in the summer for her boots to fit. Any more and she would out grow them, depending on your pony you may have to if you want your boots to fit
I rode through all sorts of mud in mine with no problems just make sure you wash them off well afterwards.

Beausmate

Visit site
I use Cavallo simples, the mud does get in (mostly through the drain holes), but I have never had any rubs on my very thin skinned horse. I use the pastern wraps.

Could you get a rasp and just run it around the edge of the hooves every so often, just to keep them in check between farrier visits?

DD265

Visit site
I use Gloves, I don't have any experience of the Cavallos but I just use them for the entire walk. My boy is retired so it's walks in hand. I keep them on him over the tarmac because they provide better grip than his bare hooves alone and he needs the confidence they give him. We don't have any issues with puddles/mud/stones.

You might be able to use them with pads which would help stimulate the hoof, probably better than being completely bare on tarmac.

LR2904

Visit site
I use Cavallo Simple Boots for hacking on roads and stony areas, my mare goes so much better. We don't normally get that much mud inside boots and have never had any rubbing :)

My farrier trims to fit the boots so there is never a period when they don't fit!

Tapir

Visit site
Could you get a rasp and just run it around the edge of the hooves every so often, just to keep them in check between farrier visits?

I was wondering if this might be an option. I was intending to take the boots off when we're on the roads thinking it might help her self-trim and she is very happy to march on the tarmac. I'll have a look at the pastern wraps. Thank you

c2b

Visit site
When we go stony areas my mare wears them for the whole ride. Like your mare we have no issues on tarmac or grass just stones.
I think it might be a little awkward to hold the horse with one hand and try and remove them with the other. We have the cavallo simples.