Hoof boot recommendations for slippy going/ deep sand

HelenBack

Visit site
As per the title, I'm looking for recommendations please for hoof boots that are capable of coping with the varied terrain we have around us. We have clay soil that can get really slippery when it's been wet and also beaches and some heavy, deep sand. So I'm after something with really good grip that will also stay on. I'd like to be able to put a pad in if possible but it doesn't have to be a chunky one.

I know it will also depend on what fits and I'm in contact with a few of the different shops to get recommendations but I thought some first hand experience would be good to go on too.

paddy555

Visit site
I have found the best for grip are scoots or renegades. Also that scoots don't also stay on in the mud and need their mud straps which are easy enough to buy. However they are an absolute pig to put the mud straps on each day and I gave up with them.

HelenBack

Visit site
I have found the best for grip are scoots or renegades. Also that scoots don't also stay on in the mud and need their mud straps which are easy enough to buy. However they are an absolute pig to put the mud straps on each day and I gave up with them.

Thanks, ease of putting on is definitely a factor too! I do like the look of the renegades, did you find you were able to put a slim pad in even though they're not designed for it?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Second Viper Renegades. I’ve used them for 4 years and I have have only had 1 come off once in deep mud and we have thick clay. You can also have a factory fitted pad put in but it makes it a special order from the US with Hoof Boutique which adds a bit of waiting time for them. The only thing I would say is they fit round feet better than long and narrow so it does depend on the shape of the foot but the funky colours are fab if they do fit.

paddy555

Visit site
Thanks, ease of putting on is definitely a factor too! I do like the look of the renegades, did you find you were able to put a slim pad in even though they're not designed for it?

sorry can't answer as I don't pad boots. If you really need pads I would go with LL's suggestion above.

Foot shape is very important with rennies.
If you go for them get orange. If you lose a black boot in thick mud that is an awful lot of money if you can't find it. If you go for orange you have the best chance of finding it. :D

HelenBack

Visit site
Thank you both. I've sent photos etc to Hoof Boutique so I'll see what they come back with.

That's a good point about the colour, I'm not into funky colours as a general rule so would have ordered black but can see where a brighter colour would be better if one did come off. Shame they don't make them in blue though!

HappyHollyDays

Visit site
My first two pairs were Arizona Copper in front and the back boots had black captivators so I knew at a glance which were fronts and backs. Currently in all black and it’s a pain working out which one goes on which foot so I’m considering getting some new captivators for the front as they need replacing anyway.

HelenBack

Visit site
My first two pairs were Arizona Copper in front and the back boots had black captivators so I knew at a glance which were fronts and backs. Currently in all black and it’s a pain working out which one goes on which foot so I’m considering getting some new captivators for the front as they need replacing anyway.

Yes, I think it's definitely a good idea to have different colours for front and back. I'm probably going to sort out one set at a time to make things a bit easier.

If you can still find any Easyboot Grips are great for slippery going.

Just had a look on the internet and I think I'll be out of luck:( I see you can get removable studs for some boots though, so that could be a possibility.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
[QUOTE="HelenBack, post: 14413628, member: 97292]

Just had a look on the internet and I think I'll be out of luck:( I see you can get removable studs for some boots though, so that could be a possibility.[/QUOTE]
I saw some on a Facebook hoofboot site second hand yesterday but can't remember which or size sorry.

HelenBack

Visit site
I’ve got some grips advertised on a Facebook website , but they are size 0 which are ponyish size.

Thanks for the thought. I managed to find a size chart on the internet and it looks like they'd be too small sadly :(.

Can either of you recommend any Facebook groups for boots please as I'm not in any currently.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

It might come straight out of the back, there is no back edge on them. But for the same reason, they should work better than others in sand because it won't stay in.

HelenBack

Visit site
Thanks for the Facebook recommendations, that's really helpful.

It might come straight out of the back, there is no back edge on them. But for the same reason, they should work better than others in sand because it won't stay in.

That's good to know, thanks. Suppose gluing one in could be an option but it would depend on the fit. Tempted to order a fit kit just to see as apart from anything else I've never actually seen a pair in the flesh!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think if you have a pad in the bottom it would be difficult to get the foot to slip into it unless they were a shade too big, and I'm not sure how well they would work too big.

BBP

Visit site
I use pads in my renegades for turnout on hard standing. I wasn’t expecting them to stay but they have done surprisingly well. But I think it’s likely that for faster movement on different surfaces you will lose the pad. My sister tried gluing some and the pads just got wrecked (although her horse has a twist when he places the foot).

Renegades are far and away my favourites so far for general riding. Got my first pair 12 years ago before they even sold them in the UK. I had them shipped over. I remember having so many comments at Trec about what my horse had on his feet, now no one thinks twice about it! I still have and use that pair, and have replaced the cable in one of them but that’s it. I added a second pair a few years ago.

My horse has perfectly round feet, and his renegades fit perfectly.

HelenBack

Visit site
That's helpful to know about the pads, thanks both. Like I said, I've never seen them in the flesh so it's hard to envisage it all really. I've yet to hear back from the Hoof Boutique but a couple of others I contacted have recommended Scoots so that will probably be my starting point. If at some point I get brave enough to go without a pad (we're still quite new to barefoot) then I'll have another look at the Renegades then.

paddy555

Visit site
Do you really need to pad? I would have thought the thickness of pad you could use in scoots, gloves, rennies etc was minimal. If I really had a need to pad a newly barefoot horse I would use epics (or something like cavallos) and put a decent thickness pad in them. Otherwise I don't bother.

HelenBack

Visit site
Do you really need to pad? I would have thought the thickness of pad you could use in scoots, gloves, rennies etc was minimal. If I really had a need to pad a newly barefoot horse I would use epics (or something like cavallos) and put a decent thickness pad in them. Otherwise I don't bother.

I don't know if I do really or if I'm just being a bit of a wimp! My horse is actually really comfortable on his feet so I don't think it's an issue from that point of view. He has some arthritis though and I thought that a pad would give a bit more cushioning for his joints. Maybe that's not necessary though but for behind at least I wanted the lower profile boots for the lighter weight and improved breakover over something like cavallos.

Are the soles different in boots like renegades compared to something like the cavallos as I tend to think the flat hard cavallos wouldn't be very comfortable without a pad of some sort. This is why I really want to be able to see some of them in real life but I have just found out that Hoof Boutique do a mixed fit kit so I think I'll get my chance!

Brownmare

Visit site
I have used renegade vipers with a 6mm pad in very successfully. I do actually have a pair for sale as my horse no longer needs hind boots. They are 125x125 if that is any good to you?

HappyHollyDays

Visit site
I have used renegade vipers with a 6mm pad in very successfully. I do actually have a pair for sale as my horse no longer needs hind boots. They are 125x125 if that is any good to you?

Did you go up a size in boots with pads Brownmare? My boy wears 125x120 in front and 125x115 at the back and next set I want pads in front as he has such thin soles even with boots on he can sometimes feel stones.

BBP

Visit site
Did you go up a size in boots with pads Brownmare? My boy wears 125x120 in front and 125x115 at the back and next set I want pads in front as he has such thin soles even with boots on he can sometimes feel stones.

I use 12mm easycare pads in my renegades, same boots that I use without pads.

HelenBack

Visit site

Thank you for the offer but I think they will be too small unfortunately :(. It's good to hear that you've used a pad successfully though. They've advised at the Hoof Boutique that it should be possible but it's good to hear about people doing it in real life!

Hoof Boutique have advised I should go up a size to try the boots with the 6mm pad but obviously I haven't actually done so yet so don't know how this would work.

BBP

Visit site
Thanks BBP, do you glue them in or not?
I’m just using them when turned out on hard standing. I haven’t glued them and only lost them once so far. Thinking about it, the fact I use 12mm pads may be why I haven’t lost them, as the heel captivated kind of ‘catches’ them, whereas a slimmer pad might slide out under the captivator. I know they aren’t designed for use with pads but I’ve been pleased with how it’s worked so far. I’m not out riding in them on all surfaces and at speed though, just him playing around on his own.

Brownmare

Visit site
I didn't but I only used a 6mm pad. If I was going to use a 12mm pad I think it would have needed a bigger boot