Hoof Boots - nothing fits?

emcorrie

Visit site
I have bought three different hoof boots (Easyboot Epic, Swiss Galoppers, and Cavallo Simple) all in the size corresponding to my horse's hoof measurement of 12 x 12 (and also spoke with the sales rep for swiss galoppers directly and shared photos of the horse's hooves) and NONE of them fit properly and they all fall off.
I am tempted to buy a Cavallo in one size smaller but the measurement doesn't make any sense for my horse's foot (it seems like it would be way too small) so I am afraid of purchasing yet another boot that won't work.
I thought the Cavallo would be the best because they are square and my horse has square feet.

I am beginning to wonder if perhaps boots just don't work on some horses' feet? Or perhaps she is pulling them off with her hinds? She is a Lusitano with a very flamboyant knee action kind of movement. Yesterday the boot actually hit me while I was riding her because it flicked upwards while she was trotting.

Is it a lost cause or am I just completely inept at measuring her feet?

Thanks for any input.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Send an email to Liz at Hoof Boutique with photos of the sole of foot measured from toe tip to buttress and side to side at the widest point. Also take ground level photos from the front and both sides so she can see the shape of the foot on the ground.

If there’s something that will fit Liz will point you in the right direction and you can order the appropriate fit kits if needed but she generally gets it spot on first time.

My Connie also has square feet and fits a Cavallo Trek in 2 slim. I would have gone for a 3 slim but Liz was right first time and my WB with the same size but round feet wears Renegade Vipers. Despite both measuring the same size in mm the Vipers wouldn’t fit B’s feet and DP wouldn’t get into the Cavallos as the boots all differ greatly and one size definitely doesn’t fit all.

Spot_On03

Visit site
I second Hoof Boutique. I bought my mares scoot boots from there after my trimmer measured my mare feet after her trim. They talked me through what would be good fit wise etc; so far so good. Ridden up to 11 miles in one go, over all sorts of terrain at different paces. Interestingly Cavallos didn't suit my mares feet when previously tried on.

emcorrie

Visit site
Thanks for the idea.
I did send pictures to the Swiss Galoppers rep and the boots still didn't fit but it true it makes more sense to ask someone impartial to the brand.

paddy555

Visit site
Measurements are a guide only. Nothing more than that. The shape of the foot is also important, I guess yours are possibly pretty upright feet.

What do you want to do with your boots? what surfaces and what speeds.
Why are you going to use boots? is it because your soles are thin and your horse is sensitive over rough surfaces. If it is then the thickness of the sole is important. Thick soles are gloves, renegades, epics, Thinner soles are scoots and flex.