Hoof Boots: OK so gimme the pro's and con's

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Was discussing with a friend:

At the mo we're all sick and tired of horses loosing shoes in the boggy morass otherwise described as a "field", plus the damage that results to the hoof when they do pull them off...........

So: you people that use hoof boots, would appreciate some honest feedback.

The thing that fills me with dread is firstly the expense of them: coz TBH they seem horrendously expensive and in a lot of cases would be probably less cost effective than a set of shoes???

Also....... they need to be fairly tight-fitting (obviously!!!) - and I'm not sure about the practicalities of (a) getting the foot nice and clean and dry in order to put the boot on in the first place (my worst-case scenario would be struggling to get on a hoof boot on a filthy, mucky, muddy, slippery foot:() and also getting the flippin thing off again afterwards without a huge struggle of physical strength whilst bent double!!!

So - those that use them. How practical are they? Are they cost-effective? Do they stay put? Are they easy to take on and off? Do they cause rubs & callouses? etc etc.

webble

Visit site
I dont use mine for field turnout and tbh not sure I would want to, our gateways are 6-8 inches deep with mud at the moment and i'm not sure 100% they wouldnt get pulled off in conditionns that bad and they would also probably fill up with mud.

I found my cavellos easy to measure for and put on and off. I dont get her feet spotless when I put them on just blast with the hose and pick out. They get as muddy as feet would on a hack so taking them off can be a bit yucky but not difficult

Cost wise they are much cheaper than shoes mine were £65 per pair and have lasted me a year so far and no need for replacements in the near future

claribella

Visit site
I use them and I love the equine fusions. They are like a trainer, quite forgiving on fit, stay on on all terrains and at all paces in rivers, bogs, everything. Easy to put on, never rotate or rub. I think it does seem like a big headache when you are used to shoes but you soon get used to the ease of it all.

Are you planning on going totally barefoot. If so then perhaps do some research on barefoot diet as that is mostly the key along with a good trimmer and movement.

In terms of price, they do seem expensive but a pair is about the cost of one or two shoeings and mine are still going strong after two years of on and off use. Hopefully you wont need them for too long but only in the transition period of barefooting.

Bitlessandbarefoot do trials of a few boots so you could do that. If you don't get on with the trial pair then you get a full refund.

Tbh I have found the whole barefoot route so much easier and cheaper than shoes. My girl is now trimmed twice a year ish and I have a little rasp to round her off inbetween. Shes happier, warmer and her hooves have never been better. Do get the feeding right before you think about de shoeing though:)

Frozen Hoof Boots

Visit site
I have in the early stages of going barefoot used boots for about 12 months for hacking and turnout only when the ground has been frosty like the beginning of last year. He had very compromised thin soles and underun heels.
I have easyboot epics. Getting the right pads also help to ensure good support and fit. Like Solemates therapeutic pads. Help stop movement and rotation.
My horse has a tendency to overreach in walk and gallop so where he used to regularly yank shoes off and rip his foot to pieces he can't do that now. I have had occasions where he has overreached galloping and has ripped a gator. Despite this have been able to make it back with the boot on despite gator being ripped. I started taking his boots off to canter/gallop round the local field and returned to put them back on no issues. You just need to know the limits same as shoes. Can be slippy on this exceptionally wet ground without studs but you can easily stud them. Sound as a pound on the road without studs. Don't slip unlike metal shoes. Lots of pros and cons.
Easy to put on and take off. my horse has great feet now which the boots helped us through the transition. Now prefer to go without boots because he can.

NellRosk

Visit site
Hi, I have cavallos which are extremely good price wise. They could not be any easier to put on, just undo the velcro, position it over the hoof then I let my boy put his hoof on the ground and it presses on to his foot. Then I do it up! I wash the hooves quickly when he comes in from the field, give a quick rub with a towel and we're good to go. Not had any problems with rubbing. Even if my boy is never fully comfortable hacking without boots I don't think I'd go back to shoeing because the boots are so quick and easy to put on. His striding is a lot longer and more free now and we have incredible grip on the roads!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Reading with interest as my horse had his shoes off this morning and I thought I had better rummage through and find the old hoof boots so I can carry on riding him.

It is a bit of an attitude of mind. If you are only used to shoes it can seem an awful faff to put on hoof boots, but you just have to think about it as part of the tacking-up process. If they are very tight to put on you can put a tiny amount of vaseline on the rim of the hoof wall to help them slide on.

When I was using my Easyboot Epics a lot I never had any problems with loss, although they did have the gaiters around the pastern which obviously stablised them, and my horse has a nice round foot so no awkward fitting problems. I need a tool to undo them as the clip is tight, and this wire fastening is the weak point as the wire stretches and eventually wears through.

They are wonderful on the roads - my horse's "trainers" - not too bad on dry grass but can be slippy on mud, but even in fetlock deep mud mine have never come off. A pad inside to start with is a very good idea as it provides support and the correct amount of pressure for the sole of the foot and has been scientifically designed to work.

I am going to have to start research again as it is some years since I used my boots, but both I and the farrier agreed that my horse would benefit from some time out of shoes, even if I do return to them later.
Hopefully I won't have to.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Have a pair of easyboot gloves, am still on my first pair and even for the shortish time they were used daily they were definitely cost effective (one new, one off ebay). Horse doesn't move quite as well in them as he does bare on most surfaces. They never came off but we didn't do much cantering in them as I became adept at whipping them on and off as required/when the pony was ready for canter work he was ready to be more bare. I think grip is the main con compared to shoes.