Hoof boots

Marnie

Visit site
I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using hoof boots on hind feet and can recommend a brand.

Thanks in advance!

Shooting Star

Visit site
You ever seen videos of a cat wearing socks, and the way they walk? That was my experience with them on hinds!

Mine does the travel boot walk if wearing hoof boots behind😏

In all seriousness though, fit of boots behind is as individual as in front so it depends very much on the shape of the horses foot. I have some slim fit Cavallo for behind but I’ve not used them since the first few weeks after removing shoes and then only to walk over some stoney ground.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Scoot boots work well on my mare both in front and behind. She has a bit of a twist behind due to bilateral hock arthritis, but they seem to cope with that. Not done any fast work yet, though, just walk and trot.

image.jpeg

For turnout if she needs it (she's in transition and needs help on frosty ground) the podiatrist has lent me a pair of Cavallo treks, which stay in place behind for 12 hours. They are IMHO a bit clumpy for ridden work though, she has Cavallo Simples in front ditto they are fine in the field for turnout.

pippixox

Visit site
I think as long as you have a good fit they are fine.
My boy has cavallos on front when he first went bare foot but he managed without hinds. I had cavallos. A bit chunky but he would canter in the field with them! (Only problem was that his buddy would undo the Velcro in the field- but technically they are not marketed for turn out and I only used them for walk to and from the field after a few weeks)

Can remember now but there is a good hoofboot website with a range on

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
When Jay transitioned I started off with Simples (round shape) on the front and Simple Sport on the back (as they were narrower, like the back foot). Then when we got to bigger distances, he moved to Easyboot Gloves as they did not rub as much. I didn't do those straight away though, as fit is very important to make easyboots stick so, so he had to decide what shape/size his feet were going to be first.

The only issue I had with the hinds was that he scrubbed the toes out really quickly, but then he later became a wobbler so I guess that was the start of that. The back feet were the reason he was in boots, as he scrubbed his back toes out of his actual feet too, if he was not wearing them on the road.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've done many miles with hoof boots all round, I used Easyboot Epics. I had the same problem as Red in that the toes of the hind boots scrubbed out, but he was getting a bit old and stiff and dragged his toes going downhill. I wish there was a boot with material to protect that area for these circumstances , I'm sure that would be useful for a lot of people.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I used Renegade Vipers behind last year (until lad did his check ligament but that's another story!). They fit him great and are very light and rugged - downside is he's very close behind and knocks them together so he has to wear overreach boots over them which is a pain (they don't last long). They are very expensive, so I'd rather buy a few pairs of over reach boots to protect them than buy more boots. They survived long fast rides on the Long Mynd, Exmoor and Dartmoor last year and only kicked one off once when scrambling up a rocky bank at speed.