Hoof came off!

Clodagh

Visit site
I work at a yard full of hunters. One got its foot caught in the stock netting...I know, I know, not my fencing...and has pulled half its hoof off. It looks like a vet diagram, the laminae (spell?)are on full view.
I have never seen anything like it. Now, the owner didn't get the vet out for a few days, although ned was poulticed and given bute. When the vet came there were 'bubbles' appearing in the mangled coronet band. Vet admitted he had never seen anything like it and proceeded to cut them off...
shocked.gif
The blood! You have never seen anything like it. Horse is now poulticed again while vet refers to Rossdales to find out how to deal with it.
IMO - he should have done that before he cut bits off.
Vet seems to think PTS is the only way, although admits he doesn't know anything abouit it. Does anyone have any ideas? Hes a lovely horse, and deserves every chance.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
How long will it take the foot to re-grow if it will re-grow normally at all? (if the vet knows that is). If it was going to be a long and painful recovery I would personally PTS.

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
Cannot believe an injury like that was not immediately seen by the vet!! Have never seen it in a horse but I have in a sheep (not quite the same I know!), she had loads of antibiotics and was poulticed and it healed very well but her one "toe" that she ripped off does grow deformed so I can't see a horse surviving without an awful lot of attention from a remedial farrier, an awful lot of money and an awful lot of luck! Fingers are very crossed that I am wrong though - good luck!

jayvee

Visit site
Oh heck that sounds horrific! I too don't understand why the vet was not called immediately? Haven't a clue what the prognosis would be, but I can imgaine deformity is very possible.

GTs

Visit site
I think it takes a year for the hoof to grow back - I would PTS - mainly because the owner seems like a muppet, and the horse would be better off.

Clodagh

Visit site
Agree with you GTs! Always a first!!

Should find out over next few days, I think, but as horse already lame behind with a bone spavin it seems that this is probably the end. If he could be turned away for a year that may be an option, but I assume you couldn't turn him out with a soft hoof 'wall', because of infection?

JadeWisc

Visit site
This person does not deserve to have an animal to care for in my opinion. I am shocked the vet was not called out immediately! If it were my horse it would have prob. been put down then and there. I feel so bad for this poor horse. Please let us know what happens. I cannot imagine how he can even stand

Maeshowe

Visit site
My TB reared up and came down on a stone (we think) and managed to lose his entire hoof on the inside from the heel to about an inch from the centre line.

I didn't own him at the time but apparently it was like a pig had been slaughtered in the yard! He was coddled up in pressure bandanges until the hoof began to grow again and when it got so far down it was shod with a sort of plastic infill supporting the new growth so he could still walk.

2 years on the crack has just reached the bottom - may I say though he was abandoned after the accident by his owners and was basically starved until I took him off their hands. The last 6 months he has come on leaps and bounds and I have been riding him for a year now.

At the moment he has an abcess that has come through the crack which has cleared really quickly. If you can bear with the nursing, and it is similar to my case, he could come good. Mine jumps, hacks out etc etc no problem. We have to keep him shod at ALL times and we're hoping that over the next year the crack will begin to seal.

Good luck and I hope it goes the same way mine did!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Now, the owner didn't get the vet out for a few days,

[/ QUOTE ] WHAT!!!! I would think that that would severely curtain the horse's chance of survival - personally think that owner needs shooting
mad.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
No news, but prognosis not good, it is uncovered today and looks disgusting, he is quite sound on it though.
Will keep you all informed, if I wouldn't look like a complete nutter would take a photo for you.

miamibear

Visit site
My friend told me years ago they had a hunter, it stomped one of its hinds down in a fit of rage about a fly! The whole front of its hoof came off, she said there was no lameness, the horse was boxed and given time off and it healed fine. The hoof grew down no problem.

Not entirely sure i would have gone cutting bits off unless i was sure!!

Im sure there will be other options than PTS - wait for the prognosis from vet

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I think its atrocious as others have said that the vet wasnt called out immediately, am astonished. It sounds like an horrific injury and perhaps best thing sadly would be pts, but see what experts say

loobylu

Visit site
glad he is comfortable at least. Any chance of you taking the pics?
ooo.gif

i'm rather disgustingly curious...you could sneak in to ''give him a polo'
blush.gif

seaofdreams

Visit site
this happened to a horse at my yard, they called the vet out but the yard was extreamly busy (its an rda center) so they asked the vet to patch it up and make as happy as he could and come back when it was quiter to put her to sleep, but when the vet came back that evening she was quite happy eating, so vet decided to leave her for a while give her some painkillers and check in 24hours, when he came back she was still o.k so they tryed to patch it up, which they some how managed the next year they put her in foal and she had a lovely filly (which i have just backed) and she is fine, she never came back into full work and the foot doesn't grow properly it has a massive hole in it and she is forever loosing a shoe on it, and it looks like she has a white sock from where the damaged area grew back white
here is a picture of her with her foal
fable002.jpg
(sorry i have just taken this from a picture i have)
i can get a picture of her foot tomorow if you would like to see?

JaneMBE

Visit site
I'm all for trying to do first aid before calling the vet, but for crissakes!
shocked.gif
How cruel not to call vet as an emergency.
People like that do not deserve to own a horse.
I don't suppose if they had lost half a finger or toe they bandage it and go to hospital a few days later?

Poor horse, I suspect he is doomed (which might be a blessing at least he wont suffer at the hands of an imbecile again).
Never heard of this happening so don't know a prognosis, but would assume a year box rest which is not good anyway, then maybe lawn mower.Poor thing.

Shocking

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
I've only known of one case of this,a pony,year ago,practically sliced it's hoof off after getting it caught on one of those big hay feeders.Can't remember just how long it too to heal but itvwas on box rest for a very long time.With poulticing and careful management the wound did heal,and she was ridden again.....BUT,about 6 months later it reopened and looked pretty much as it had before
frown.gif

Not sure what happened to her after that as she was sold(riding school pony)......but given a vet wasn't called ASAP I'd say they just halved their horses chances of making any kind of decent recovery
frown.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
His owner said yesterday, if he was a mare he'd be worth saving, as he has a wonderful temperament and good conformation. His job is hunting, though, and can't see many a damaged hoof putting up with that wear and tear. He could be rehomed as a hack, hes a nice hack and could be given away but is lame behind at the mo with bone spavin and a stifle problem, so it does get to the and-is-it-worth-it point.

ashlane

www.freewebs.com
sorry but for everyone that jumped all over Clodagh about her/his boss, that never called the vet in is reall wrong, a vet is just an edcated guess, sometimes horse people themselves have seen the problems more. i recently am dealing with a case like this one, but it happens to be a week old quarab/ anglo-arab, which ever u want to call her bred, being her dam is a quarter horse by papers but looks thoroughbred because of so much thoroughbred in her bloodlines, this filly was born feb 16th 2007, on a cold winter day outside, we did not known until 3 hours later, she was cleaned off. she didn't drink or get up. soon as we found her we put her in the truck and took her to the menonites where i train horses. she suffers from frostbite badly, she has had every shot already for foals that she needs. her back legs were swelled up, at a week old she had lost the foot wall on her back right foot, were worried she gonna lost the other one. what we have read up n seeked vet advice, they say its natures way of reliveing it from the swelling and not hurting her white line and the rest of it being the foot wall came off. they said to keep it dry,clean and warm to make it grow faster. plus to make sure there no proud flesh otherwise the foot will come back deformed. we are lucky we havn't had any infection set into her. the filly is very good about this all happening to her. she still looks like a healthy foal and tries to jump around like she not in pain.

Sehne

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
sorry but for everyone that jumped all over Clodagh about her/his boss, that never called the vet in is reall wrong, a vet is just an edcated guess, sometimes horse people themselves have seen the problems more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that all the vets that study for numerous years would be happy to be told they are only guessing
confused.gif

No one is having a go at Clodagh, just expressing their concern. Poor horse, what a sad story. Any news?
Sx