Hoof Clay....any experiences?

Nayumi1

Visit site
So the horse I ride regularly has a small hole at the bottom of her hoof which seems to be great for tiny little stones to hide. The owner was wanting to try hoof clay to see if that will help.

Has anyone had any experience with hoof clay? What were your thoughts on it?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Something like Red Horse product's artimud? Yes, IME it works well. Clean the hole well, apply the artimud and allow it to fully dry before working the horse or turning it out. IME it stays in place well but you do need to check it every day.

Auslander

Visit site
I use field paste to protect against sogginess/thrush, but don't think it would be much use against stones, as they'll just get lodged in it. If the hole isn't growing out, I'd be inclined to get the farrier to have a look and advise.

Nayumi1

Visit site
The farrier has been a couple of times to trim back and see if it will grow out but it doesn't. The hole itself doesn't bother her and we've been regularly picking out. We just wondered whether the hoof clay would help at all or maybe another alternative.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
How big is the hole? What's it from? Does it go all the way inside the hoof? Is horse shod or unshod?

If the horse is sound then I wouldn't worry, the hole will grow out as the sole grows. IME anything you put in a hole always falls out... always. You could boot to prevent stones from going in but a hoof is designed to cope with stones.

Nayumi1

Visit site
How big is the hole? What's it from? Does it go all the way inside the hoof? Is horse shod or unshod?

If the horse is sound then I wouldn't worry, the hole will grow out as the sole grows. IME anything you put in a hole always falls out... always. You could boot to prevent stones from going in but a hoof is designed to cope with stones.

So she originally had a keratoma years ago which has all been sorted and she in completely sound. That hole has been there since then and never grown out, the farriers been out etc and it has just always been there and shes unshod :)

Yeah I just thought I'd ask if anyone had experience with clay and if it would help.

Auslander

Visit site
I didn't realise the Artimud set - that's really interesting. One of mine spent the whole of spring either stabled, or turned out in the school, after a huge abscess, which left a hole too big for me to be comfortable turning her out anywhere dirty. She then had a pad/filler on, which wasn't particularly useful in terms of frog health

SusieT

Visit site
you need hoof putty - its hard, your soften it in your hand then apply it and wait to dry and its like a new hard bit - its great