Hoof hardener?

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I've been looking at Red Horse products but am currently using Keratex and have had great results. It has formaldehyde in it if that's a problem for you. Equimins also do one but it stays white on the foot

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm in South Africa though and neither of those are available here.... How does formaldehyde work?

Do you have any sheep farmers near you? You will probably find that they use a foot dip which is 35% formaldehyde. If you take 250 ml of that and add 750 ml of water, you will pretty much have got 1 litre of keratex. Paint onto the sole, frog and hoof wall. Alternatively, a chemist should be able to sell you formaldehyde but you need to know the strength and water down to 8%.

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
Keratex once a week and then a good hoof supplement in the feed. I use hoof aid.

I also use Carr & Martin hoof moisturiser for dry hooves. Combination is working a treat as they are getting harder but not brittle

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Another for Keratex and sugar and iodine is excellent as a cheaper solution, just mix white sugar and iodine into a porridge like consistency - very good for treatment of abcesses in the foot as the sugar hardens and dries out the foot and the iodine is a natural anti bacterial.