HOOF MOISTURISERS..ARE THEY NEEDED ?

POLLDARK

Visit site
As I have two horses with similar horn quality, i.e good, I thought I would try a little experiment. I usually use hoof moisturisers on both in the summer but this year only one horse has been treated all summer, whatever the weather & that has varied a lot. Result is NO difference whatsoever. Both still have good feet & horn quality. ! Anybody else tried this or have proof one way or the other that they are needed. I mean would a horses cracked hooves have improved with time anyway without treatment ? Just curious.

kittykatcat

Visit site
Hoof growth and quality comes from the inside - through good nutrition - that's the only way to get long term good hoof quality - that and environment. Hoof applications are a real waste of time.

The only one I have seen that has worked has been Keratex hoof hardener, however, since learning what's in it - I probably won't be using that again!!!

Kenzo

Visit site
Hoof growth and quality comes from the inside - through good nutrition - that's the only way to get long term good hoof quality - that and environment time.

Ditto above, good diet, bob some biotin in the feed if needs be.

Although my farrier said just keeping the enviroment the same, so long dry spells then long cold wet spells don't help around the bottom of the foot (specially if shod) so although this may sound funny to some people but I water the hooves everyday (when I wash down the legs) through summer to get some moisture in them.

ThePony

Visit site
Hoof growth and quality comes from the inside - through good nutrition - that's the only way to get long term good hoof quality - that and environment. Hoof applications are a real waste of time.

The only one I have seen that has worked has been Keratex hoof hardener, however, since learning what's in it - I probably won't be using that again!!!

This! Though if we have a very dry spell after wet weather then I do chuck some wash down water over their hooves. No idea if it actually helps tbh, but it can't do any harm and it makes me feel better!

elsiex

Visit site
Formaldehyde, which is used for preserving corpses!

I use Kevin Bacon on recommendation from my farrier. She has good feet, but prevention is better than cure in my view, and £15 for a tub that lasts a whole summer is money well spent.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I use Keratex hoof moisturiser in the dry hot weather and hoof hardener and they do work without a doubt.
Yes diet is the most important thing BUT obviously dry hot weather and very hard ground are poor conditions for hooves, as is very wet conditions and diet will not help these :)

DiablosGold

Visit site
If the ground is very dry I pour a bucket of water on each hoof. I have also seen no change from using a hoof moisturiser so don't bother any more.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
My appy has horrendous feet, she has a very good diet but her mane, tail and feet are just rubbish!!

I have tried every supplement going, the only one that has made any difference is Newmarket Hoof Supplement. I also used to use Keven Bacon but I don't think it helped at all.

I have however discovered a new miracle hoof moisturiser! It is Shur Hoof and I have been using it for 3 weeks now and the difference is unreal, I wish I had taken before and after pictures. I am looking forward to my farrier coming in 2 weeks time to see what he thinks, personally I think that the difference is amazing :D

Janah

Visit site
I use Kevin Bacon occasionally. My boy is on starvation paddock so doesn't really get natural moisture into his feet.

If he was on normal grass, hence feet wet I wouldn't bother.

Jane

POLLDARK

Visit site
Thanks for your interesting replies. I think , on the whole, I won't bother with moisturisers again as it made no difference to, admittedly, hooves that are already good. I will just keep up with their vitamin & mineral supplement. Thanks all.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I don't tend to worry about consistently dry weather or wet weather, just sudden changes. If we are forecast heavy rain after a long dry spell, I use Kevin Bacon to help protect the shod hooves from a sudden overload of moisture.

pottamus

Visit site
My vet has always recommended vaseline in the dry weather for my lad as his hooves crumble from the nail holes down. She recommends putting it on twice a week and straight after shoeing.

lannerch

Visit site
My farrier says the only role hoof moisturisers have is decoration. Infact the oily ones in particular can make things worse as they form a barrier to moisture coming in to the already dry hoof.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Moisturizer? Hmmmm - don't know. I do think nutrition is important here - but similarly some horses have rubbish feet and others are fine.

Kal is on HH Rosehip and Seaweed as a supp for his feet, plus there's horn support (Biotin) in the Blue Chip Original he gets. In addition, though, he gets Cornucrescine around the coronet band and Keratex in the summer only b/c his feet are very hard/brittle and he doesn't hold on to shoes - particularly on his club foot.

As with most things related to keeping horses, it's down to what works for you/your horse.

P

Rachaelpink

Visit site
Read this post with interest. I have a full bred appaloosa who doesn't have the best hooves, however before I owned her (years ago) her shoes would come off regularly and now it's rare. I feed her biotin supplements and in dry weather spray water on her hooves. I've considered using a hoof moisturiser but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Still not entirely sure to be honest!

Megibo

Visit site
we use kevin bacon on recommendation from the farrier, only when her hooves look dry and then they look good all week. she's in starvation though so her feet get quite dry.

Ditto above, good diet, bob some biotin in the feed if needs be.

Although my farrier said just keeping the enviroment the same, so long dry spells then long cold wet spells don't help around the bottom of the foot (specially if shod) so although this may sound funny to some people but I water the hooves everyday (when I wash down the legs) through summer to get some moisture in them.

haha-during our reallly loooong dry spell my mare kept making a mini flood in her field with her water bucket and would stand in her horse-made mud letting her hooves soak it up. horses are smartie pants !

PolarSkye

Visit site
we use kevin bacon on recommendation from the farrier, only when her hooves look dry and then they look good all week. she's in starvation though so her feet get quite dry.

haha-during our reallly loooong dry spell my mare kept making a mini flood in her field with her water bucket and would stand in her horse-made mud letting her hooves soak it up. horses are smartie pants !

Ha! Kal stands in his water bucket in his stable - one front foot at a time (he loses his front shoes) - all this time I thought he was being his usual muppety self and now you're telling me he's being clever ;) :p

P

Oberon

Visit site
If they are out all night, even in dry weather the early morning dew will moisturise them enough.

Any other changes can be made through diet. Especially linseed.