Hoof Oil?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Hoof oil? No, I never use it. IMHO, it's far too damaging to the hoof.

I use Silverfeet hoof balm a few times a eeek though - especially if I'm going to a lesson, competition or clinic.

ETA: Diet & management is far more important to a laminitic.

AFB

Visit site
I view 'hoof oil' as a cosmetic product, but if you're talking about the various different hoof balms (can't think of a better word to use here) then it's dependent on what you're using as to frequency of use and benefit. I think the common consensus is that healthy hooves come from the right diet, you need to grow good hoof rather than use topical treatments.

If you give a bit more information on what your issues are and what you're trying to overcome there are a LOT of foot geeks on HHO who will be able to help.

Four Seasons

Visit site
I view 'hoof oil' as a cosmetic product, but if you're talking about the various different hoof balms (can't think of a better word to use here) then it's dependent on what you're using as to frequency of use and benefit. I think the common consensus is that healthy hooves come from the right diet, you need to grow good hoof rather than use topical treatments.

If you give a bit more information on what your issues are and what you're trying to overcome there are a LOT of foot geeks on HHO who will be able to help.

+1

I see it as a cosmetic product too, the marketing is very good these days to make people think it could actually help. It all comes down to diet (even some supplements can help, I give my biotin to support hoof growth) and a good farrier, sure there a some products out these that can help, but those would be balms/lotions that need applying frequently.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I use tea tea hoof oil directly after shoeing on sole, frog and wall pushing into clench holes as it has antiseptic/antifungal properties. I never use it any other time. I can’t imagine it does anything particularly for laminitics.

My sister used to paint Venice of turpentine (pine tar) on the soles of her Connies feet to harden them as she had previously had lami.

Sparemare

Visit site
My farrier doesn’t recommend it, but says if I want to use anything then suggests Kevin Bacon. I’ve never felt the need to date.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I bought a tin of hoof oil years back and have probably used it a handful of times. Only cosmetically, we put a bit on before a dressage test or whatever. Tbh by the time the horse has warmed up it's pretty much gone anyway.
Another vote for Kevin Bacon stuff.
Hoof oil won't help a laminitic at all as above! Needs to be diet related.