Hoof rehab help

Ceriann

Visit site
There are some excellent deep, thick pads that have a degree of 'spring' in them that stimulate soles. I had to use these for a month with a horse that had frighteningly thin soles. (Vet asked for carpet to be laid down to walk him 10 yards back into his stable at diagnosis). Initially vet prescribed box rest for 3 weeks and sugardine bandages on the front feet for 1-2 weeks. After that I was able to start proper rehab with boots and pads. I seem to remember getting the pads from equine podiatry supplies or similar: they are super-thick and initially I had a job to get them in the boots but they squished down quite quickly. As I said, I used these for a month, then cautiously began work in hand and under saddle on grass and any other surface I could find (no school involved!) once a week without boots and pads, then twice a week etc. The thing that was a complete game-changer though was this rehab alongside a very high spec mineral balancer. It made such an enormous difference that after another 6 months I had a forage test then made up a bespoke mineral mix. 8 years on from this, horse is always unshod and has fabulous, all terrain soles! I could ride over anything with him without causing bruising or discomfort after a few months (post pads/rehab etc). The reality is that he will still feel a sharp stone occasionally but does not take lame steps or come home bruised. It is worth the time and effort to get the feet right. :)
Thanks - i’ll Look for pads like this. She’s on prohoof and has been for about 20 weeks. Farrier is very pleased with progress so good to hear it’s possible with a thin soled horse!

Leo Walker

Visit site

paddy555

Visit site
Really impressed with the scoots so far. Arrived, went for an hour hack with a tiny bit of trotting and no issues, no rubbing (yet). Seem great- I’m contemplating whether I’d get away with autumn hunting on Salisbury plain with them (turfy grass but some really rough tracks in between).

Hmmm!

glad you are getting on well. If you take them hunting consider the mud straps. Google them, there is a video and these straps keep them on in not so good conditions. If you are concerned about rough tracks go and trot over some and see how you get on. The only question will be if the scoot soles are thick enough to protect B's feet. For many horses they are. I remember a post from an endurance rider when the scoots were not thick enough and they had to move to a boot with a thicker sole.

Michen

Visit site
glad you are getting on well. If you take them hunting consider the mud straps. Google them, there is a video and these straps keep them on in not so good conditions. If you are concerned about rough tracks go and trot over some and see how you get on. The only question will be if the scoot soles are thick enough to protect B's feet. For many horses they are. I remember a post from an endurance rider when the scoots were not thick enough and they had to move to a boot with a thicker sole.

That’s really helpful thank you. I didn’t even know they existed!

He is definitely still slightly cautious over stones even in the hoof boots, doesn’t “gimp” but slows. And is doing so to walk across the car park barefoot now also. Typical, he absolutely stomped over all surfaces for the first two weeks.

I’m hoping this will improve, it’s by no means tragic but I’d like to see him rock crunching on stones barefoot again.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That's normal M. If you were to look back at other barefoot threads you'd find numerous mentions of the feet 'coming alive' after a couple of weeks.

Hopefully it will fade in the next few weeks. If not, in spite of his youth a test for PPID (Cushing's) wouldn't go amiss. He's not a horse I would expect to have much trouble going barefoot in terms of sole sensitivity.

Michen

Visit site
That's normal M. If you were to look back at other barefoot threads you'd find numerous mentions of the feet 'coming alive' after a couple of weeks.

Hopefully it will fade in the next few weeks. If not, in spite of his youth a test for PPID (Cushing's) wouldn't go amiss. He's not a horse I would expect to have much trouble going barefoot in terms of sole sensitivity.

Thanks ycbm. I don’t remember him having this period last time he came out of shoes (though he’d been in them for less time). I wonder if it’s grass footiness as well? No pulses though.

I applied hoof armour but can’t say it’s done much.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks ycbm. I don’t remember him having this period last time he came out of shoes (though he’d been in them for less time). I wonder if it’s grass footiness as well? No pulses though.

I applied hoof armour but can’t say it’s done much.

It could be, easily. Is he on a supplement with yeast in? If not, I would add some.(15g yeasacc, or 50g brewer's).