Hoof rehab

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
If your paying for the mri yourself you can go literally anywhere, my guess is she was referring to the RVC at potters bar thats where alot of referrals go that's only up the road from me as well.

She just really didn’t seem to be interested in further diagnostics. She even told me I would be waiting around for hours and they don’t even have a cafe there so I’d have to bring my own sandwiches. Like that is a reason not to MRI your horse…

She basically said the horse is never going to be sound, won’t return to work, there is no point in spending the money or time.

I was absolutely shattered as I genuinely think she was waiting for me to suggest pts.

Luckily, the practice director has been the complete opposite to deal with. Kind, warm, totally gets the horse and gets me. She knows we have all the time in the world, and I don’t mind if the horse only returns to field sound/ hacking sound. Just as long as the horse is not in pain.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
She just really didn’t seem to be interested in further diagnostics. She even told me I would be waiting around for hours and they don’t even have a cafe there so I’d have to bring my own sandwiches. Like that is a reason not to MRI your horse…

She basically said the horse is never going to be sound, won’t return to work, there is no point in spending the money or time.

I was absolutely shattered as I genuinely think she was waiting for me to suggest pts.

Luckily, the practice director has been the complete opposite to deal with. Kind, warm, totally gets the horse and gets me. She knows we have all the time in the world, and I don’t mind if the horse only returns to field sound/ hacking sound. Just as long as the horse is not in pain.

Unfortunately some vets are full of doom and gloom and like to go with worst case scenario no matter what I've dealt with a few.

I think as she is alot sounder and feet are much better I would just carry on as you are, if things go backwards or the soundness doesn't improve an mri is definitely something I would consider.

There must be loads of vets nearer to you with an mri than London even Rossdales is probably not that far from you, they have a cafe I've sat in it many times🤣

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
The vet (nice vet) has been to see her and agrees we have abscess which blew from the coronet band but didn’t fully clear.

She says given the shape of the hooves and the lameness, it’s not a bad thing that she’s spent winter in because there may well have been soft tissue damage, and also an abscess.

But she can go out, and she’s sound enough to start ridden walking once she’s got her head back. She is high as a kite right now.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Nice update, and I hope you feel happier with the diagnosis. It did seem a bit drastic to start writing her off! Rehab can be a slow process depending on how long the changes have been evident. Good luck, I hope she continues improving. Expect mild lameness/bruised soles from initial turn out - haring round the field tends to upset the applecart a bit, but it should be short lived.

j1ffy

Visit site
The vet (nice vet) has been to see her and agrees we have abscess which blew from the coronet band but didn’t fully clear.

She says given the shape of the hooves and the lameness, it’s not a bad thing that she’s spent winter in because there may well have been soft tissue damage, and also an abscess.

But she can go out, and she’s sound enough to start ridden walking once she’s got her head back. She is high as a kite right now.

I've just caught up with this thread, it's good to see she's on the mend.

Chilli went to the MRI in Newbury a couple of weeks ago and they were great. I dropped him off at 7.30am (you could also drop off at 9am) and picked him up at 6pm after getting the ok from the office - unfortunately they still needed to do another scan so we didn't leave until 7.20pm but we were fine sitting in the lorry, they even brought us tea and were very apologetic about the miscommunication between vets and office about pick-up time! That was a Friday so the report didn't come through until the Monday, I had thought it might take longer tbh.