Hoof supplement, balancer, or something to put on the hoof?

forever broke

Visit site
Due to lack of work (and money!) my boy's management had a bit of an overhaul over winter. I took his shoes off and changed his feed, and he's coping well. However, his feet are starting to break up around the edges on the hard ground and I'd like to do something to help harden them up. He's sound and in light work, turned out 24/7 on grazing that's good at the moment but won't last for long, hay when he's in, and fed a mug (dry measure) of soaked Graze On pellets and 2 mugs Spillers light balancer. What am I best off doing to help his feet? I was looking for hoof supplements on here and found a lot of people recommending pro balance and pro hoof, would these replace the spillers balancer or would I feed alongside it? Or would something like biotin be better? Or even a decent hoof oil? (Although I've always thought that putting something on the outside of the foot doesn't help much). Any sugestions would be much appreciated :)

SCMSL

Visit site
I am no expert, but maybe you should start by having a good trimmer out and rounding the edges of the hoof?

forever broke

Visit site
Sorry should have mentioned that in OP, farrier is on his way to tidy them up, but he's not long been trimmed and doesn't have a lot of foot for farrier to take off. Obviously I'd like to do something to help grow stronger foot and help them break less in future

TwoStroke

Visit site
Pro balance/ pro hoof are fab, as are the forage plus balancers, and they would replace the spillers balancer as they are a complete forage balancer. The grass probably won't be helping either, though.

forever broke

Visit site
Pro balance/ pro hoof are fab, as are the forage plus balancers, and they would replace the spillers balancer as they are a complete forage balancer. The grass probably won't be helping either, though.

I'm looking at these now and trying to find out as much as possible. Have seen your posts about them in a thread in vet also and they've been very helpful. I have noticed that both companies recommend feeding with micronised linseed, is this absolutely necessary? It all starts to get rather expensive with that!
Could you please explain the statement about the grass not helping? I understand the obvious issues of weight and laminitis risks, but beastie is a poor doer after grass sickness a few years ago and isn't your typical laminitis risk.

TwoStroke

Visit site
I'm looking at these now and trying to find out as much as possible. Have seen your posts about them in a thread in vet also and they've been very helpful. I have noticed that both companies recommend feeding with micronised linseed, is this absolutely necessary? It all starts to get rather expensive with that!
Could you please explain the statement about the grass not helping? I understand the obvious issues of weight and laminitis risks, but beastie is a poor doer after grass sickness a few years ago and isn't your typical laminitis risk.

Micronised linseed is recommended due to the excellent omega 3 content, and the omega 3:6 ratio. However, during the grass growing months I find it's not strictly necessary to feed it unless the horse does not have access to pasture. During winter it's very useful, though. It's also excellent for poor doers.

I mentioned the grass not helping due to the sugar content. I know how you feel about having a poor doer - I have one myself that does much better (weight-wise) out on good grass. Unfortunately, sugar is metabolised the same way in any horse or pony - with the same results. Acute clinical laminitis is just the most severe form of the disease; it has many lesser manifestations which can affect any horse, beginning with 'footiness'. Flare, ripples in the hoof wall and sensitive soles are all signals that there may be a sugar problem.

Each horse is an individual, however, and their tolerance for sugar and starch will vary. It's a case of determining the management routine that best suits each horse, and for difficult horses it will often be a balancing act between keeping them sound (non-footy) and meeting their other requirements for turnout.

forever broke

Visit site
Thanks for that, I think I understand now. So far, I *think* he's coping ok with the grass, he's not at all footy and his feet are smooth, flare-free and are pretty good I think apart from being pretty brittle, but they're soft year-round and in winter we have no grass at all, hence the need for a bit of help I think. Think we're going to go for the forage plus hoof health and I'll look at adding linseed in the winter then. Thanks again for your help :)

Brightbay

Visit site
Just another idea - does he have access to any handstanding/gravel/sandy areas?

Grass turnout doesn't tend to do anything much to the hooves, whereas when they have to walk over hard/rough stuff every day (e.g. at and around the water trough), it helps remove any long or uneven bits at the bottom of the hoof, so you get less obvious chipping :)

Usually, the bits that chip around the bottom are bits that the hoof wants to get rid of - it's the way hooves trim themselves in the wild. Horses who aren't domesticated usually cover lots of different terrain, and their hooves wear accordingly. Our domesticated horses stand on soft grass pasture all day, standing on soft bedded stables for a change, so the hooves don't get a chance to wear and so get unsightly chips.

ETA - the Forageplus balancers are minerals added to a base of linseed now, so in summer at least, I don't add any additional linseed as my horse is a good do-er ;)

forever broke

Visit site
Now that you mention it, no, he doesn't. We usually hack out on roads a few times a week but he's had one of his rhinitis bouts lately so I haven't worked him for a few weeks and he's just been in the field, which has no hardstanding. I suppose the roadwork would keep his feet worn down a little and without it they've been breaking unevenly? He's back in a bit of work now but was going to stick to the field until he's been seen by the farrier, do you think some roadwork might actually be a good idea?

Alfiepie

Visit site
You could try Biotin in his feed its perfect for hoof growth and if you look at the expensive supplements they almost always contain Biotin - my Haffy who had 1inch clefts by his frog has been on Biotin and linseed oil (for his coat) and his clefts are regrowing and getting shallower by the week his coat is like glass as well - never ever sen a Haffy with a really shiny coat but mine has and its natural not sprayed on!

caroline23

Visit site
i use pro hoof to help make my cobs feet strong after taking them off for winter when he isnt worked as much, i have managed to keep him barefoot throughout summer despite him being out 24/7 on decent grass which is brill, also we have 5 mins hack on tarmac to get to our off road hacking and i believe this has really helped harden his feet, he only needs trimming every 12 weeks (farriers advice) as the short roadwork helps to keep them trim and tidy

forever broke

Visit site
Thanks for all your help guys, I was going for the forageplus until I did my sums and just couldn't quite stretch to the cost, si I've just ordered a tub of Prohoof. Can't wait to get him on it now and see how we get on! I just hope he'll eat it now... :rolleyes: