hoof supplement low in selenium

Quival

Visit site
can anyone recommend a supplement for brittle hooves that is very low in selenium. I have just finished feeding a tub of well known product and found his mane coming out at roots. I know the signs well as my old horse was very susceptible to overfeeding of selenium. It probably is due to the makeup of our grazing area.

Quival

Visit site
Hi jencash Sorry long time to reply. Cocked up my password. Finally sorted by hubby this am. I have bought a pot of biotin powder on Sat for Oscar. But will get in touch with you at a later time if I need to. Thanks for your kind offer

JenHunt

Visit site
no probs, same goes for anyone else reading this! just let me know if we can formulate a supplement for you. we are also bringing out a new range of supplements - a calmer, electrolytes, 2 general purpose supplements, a digestive and a conditioning supplement.

cellie

Visit site
Re your comment on formulating supplements.
I use a hoof supplement for my tb who had terrible feet the quality has improved although they are still very flat. .He has just had surgery for hock fusion and my vet has suggested that he stays on a joint supplement.He has injured himself a lot in the last two years ligament and tendon .Newmarket supplement has been recommended but I was wondering if using two different supplements will be counter productive.Sometimes the same ingredients are used in different products and I dont want to overload.Do you have any information that would help me decide .Thanks

JenHunt

Visit site
Generally I would say that feeding 2 supplements is just expensive at the least and at the most can cause overdose of certain nutrients.
HOWEVER - joint supplements are rarely a complete supplement so it shouldn't cause any problems.

if your horse is getting a balanced diet and you are either feeding the recommended amount of his hard feed, or you are feeding a balancer then you should not need to add anything more to his diet than the joint supplement and the critical nutrients for hoof growth.

the ingredients you should be looking for are
biotin, chelated zinc (or bioavailable zinc), lysine, methionine (and or cysteine) in the hoof supplement
Glucosamine, chondriotin and MSM (methyl sulfonated methionine i think)

be wary of selenium (as this post started out with!) and if in doubt speak to an independant nutritionist or your vet.

hope this is helpful!