Hoof wall resection, gas pocket...

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Vet says five months... place your bet ��

Looking at it I agree with your vet.....Though if he is one if those super healing equines (our tb was as he, with the help of a new dressing, cut his healing time in half on a degloved leg) about four ish months

Michen

Visit site
Looking at it I agree with your vet.....Though if he is one if those super healing equines (our tb was as he, with the help of a new dressing, cut his healing time in half on a degloved leg) about four ish months

He grows hoof very quickly so I'm hoping for less! We shall see. He's not fussed it's missing so should be back working fairly soon.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Neat job, and it all looks healthy behind. It should grow out pretty quickly.

If you use keratex hoof putty to pack the cavity, I found that the putty gets nice and malleable if you warm it up inside your bra before use!

How the hell can you pack that cavity?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
He grows hoof very quickly so I'm hoping for less! We shall see. He's not fussed it's missing so should be back working fairly soon.

Is he staying unshod? if so I think it will grow back far quicker than the vet says, stimulating the foot with exercise should help and my bet would be on 3 months at the most, it looks clean, healthy and as if it is not going to be that uncomfortable for him.

ycbm

Visit site

Michen if the horse works with a foot in that state without a shoe on, it would risking it splitting to the coronet band and giving what might then be a lifetime of issues. I hope that he's getting a getting a shoe on that tomorrow?

Michen

Visit site
Is he staying unshod? if so I think it will grow back far quicker than the vet says, stimulating the foot with exercise should help and my bet would be on 3 months at the most, it looks clean, healthy and as if it is not going to be that uncomfortable for him.

No, he's getting shod tomorrow am for at least a cycle or two. It's not ideal, I'm a bit gutted to be shoeing 3 other lovely barefoot feet but frankly the horse needs to be back in some form of work for both our sanity and they can always come off again. And to be honest I'm tired and just handing over the reins to my farrier and vet on this one to try and stay a bit removed from it all.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
How the hell can you pack that cavity?
Pop a shoe on temporarily to protect the integrity of the remaining hoof wall as it grows down, then pack it. Personally I wouldn't turn a horse out with that much wall missing unless it was shod. I was able to remove the shoes on my youngster as soon as the resection had grown out, they had done their job.

Michen

Visit site
Pop a shoe on temporarily to protect the integrity of the remaining hoof wall as it grows down, then pack it. Personally I wouldn't turn a horse out with that much wall missing unless it was shod. I was able to remove the shoes on my youngster as soon as the resection had grown out, they had done their job.

He's stabled overnight and currently has his trainer on till the farrier shoes him tomorrow.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
No, he's getting shod tomorrow am for at least a cycle or two. It's not ideal, I'm a bit gutted to be shoeing 3 other lovely barefoot feet but frankly the horse needs to be back in some form of work for both our sanity and they can always come off again. And to be honest I'm tired and just handing over the reins to my farrier and vet on this one to try and stay a bit removed from it all.

Honestly I love having mine bf but there is always a time and place for shoes and this is one of them.
Once it's grown out he can have them off.
Does he need a full set? Or is this a hind hoof? I've probably not read the op properly

ycbm

Visit site
He's stabled overnight and currently has his trainer on till the farrier shoes him tomorrow.

Good news. I'm guessing he will be I work almost immediately, in that case. I think you'll only need two cycles.

Michen

Visit site
Honestly I love having mine bf but there is always a time and place for shoes and this is one of them.
Does he need a full set? Or is this a hind hoof? I've probably not read the op properly

It's a hind yes so full set annoyingly!

Michen

Visit site

Good news. I'm guessing he will be I work almost immediately, in that case. I think you'll only need two cycles.

Thank you, I hope so too. He was only lame on a circle on the hard in trot before the resection so fingers crossed he will come right quickly.
Daisy grows a whole hoof capsule in 3 months so I'm guessing 3 months if you shoe once and then there's enough growth remove.good luck!

Thanks! Hope your big lads feet are better.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I vote nearer 3 months too, I reckon 1-2 cycles of shoes and yes as and when they are needed, Michen thought I would be far more aghast but hopefully she thinks I am more 'normal' now.
we did discuss just shoeing hinds but tricky to get your head round apparently ;)

M it will be interesting how sound he is on it once shod.

Michen

Visit site
Indeed, vet thinks lameness due to the infection not the fact he has a hole, and that pressure should now be released. Time will tell!

I vote nearer 3 months too, I reckon 1-2 cycles of shoes and yes as and when they are needed, Michen thought I would be far more aghast but hopefully she thinks I am more 'normal' now.
we did discuss just shoeing hinds but tricky to get your head round apparently ;)

M it will be interesting how sound he is on it once shod.

Michen

Visit site
Hes clearly just telling you he wants to stay with you! Fingers crossed for tons of hoof growth and a quick and easy return to barefoot.

Yes he's doing an exceptional job of ensuring he is unsellable! But he clearly doesn't understand he is NOT here to cause me more stress, he is here to hold me together a bit after loosing B. Pony has not understood his purpose but then they never do :p

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I agree it's weird in my head too but I asked because I've got several who have a hind end a full inch taller than their front end so not sure shoes would be thick enough to make a lot of difference for a few months.

foxy1

Visit site
My horse had a pedal bone resection, about 1/3rd of his foot on the inside quarter was removed right to the coronet band. Took about 12 weeks to grow down. I packed it with iodine and sugar to start with while it was bandaged, then once it had hardened off a bit I let the air get to it. Healed well.
Looks good OP, sure that will be fine in no time. :)

Happy Hunter

Visit site
Thank you OP for sharing - Make room on exactly the same boat for me!!! Our resection is on Friday, fingers crossed we will both be back to riding healthy happy horses by Christmas :D
I'll try and remember to send in some pictures of mine :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I hope Michen doesn't mind me saying that you can barely tell hers was done now (I like being right ;) ) back in normal shoes and stomping on!

Happy Hunter

Visit site
As promised - my pictures.
She was barefoot for 3 years (shes 7) before today.
The 8 week abscess wasn't being great, so this lifts the pressure away and gives her some relief.
I am ringing the vet tomorrow to see what she thinks. Farrier pleased.
I like my farrier - who did my trims before - so hopefully we are on the right road to getting back to work now!

attachment.php

attachment.php

hope the images display properly - Despite being on the forum for year's I've never actually done them before!

Michen

Visit site
Ooooh yes I must get a recent pic of mine. It was a huge amount bigger than yours though but it's now just slightly bigger than your horses and that's only after six weeks growth. Pony never noticed it was there.