Hoofs & horrendous Loaners!

Queenbee

Visit site
So you loaned pony because you didn't have time for her, and demanded her return when you discovered that the loaners shod her in front so that they could work and enjoy her without the constraints of a barefoot horse (ie needs boots, can only ride on certain terrain etc etc), poor pony........but at least she can still return to being barefoot and doing nothing with no harm done eh!

Urgh... Judgemental much?! I'm absolutely with op on this, I'd be worse than furious, I'd also be the same kind of furious if my horse was shod and the reverse happened!! Furthermore, I've hunted, jumped, hacked all kinds of terrain, and both my horses never needed boots and their diet is very simple

Queenbee

Visit site
Constraints? My horses do everything they have ever done in shoes. I've had a dozen barefoot horses, no failures, and other than in the first weeks after shoes coming off, there were no constraints. I don't use boots.

What you have discovered is that you probably could not give your horses what they needed to work without shoes. This is not a criticism, just a fact. It can be very difficult if you work full time and are in a livery stables. I have so far done BE with five different horses and hunted four different horses and will be hunting a fifth this year. It is not always easy, though not always difficult either, and it can be done with all sorts of horses.

Very well said

Fides

Visit site
OP I'd be furious too!

Just like I was furious when my part loaner 'tidied up' my Sec D's lovely long double mane by pulling it within an inch of its life :(

PolarSkye

Visit site
I'm afraid that any loaner has a duty to adhere to the rules of the loan agreement. If I ever did put my boy on loan (extremely unlikely), like many owners I'd have a list of things I would find unacceptable . . . and, assuming I do get to rehab him barefoot when he is no longer on box rest, putting shoes on his feet would be one of those things. Yes, loanees take a risk when they put their beloved horses out on loan, for whatever reason . . . but loaners take on a massive responsibility - to treat the horse as the owner would/does. If the owner/loanee states that the horse should have purple glitter oil on its hooves every Wednesday, then that's what the loaner should be doing . . . end of! If said instructions/rules are unacceptable to the loaner, then they shouldn't be taking the horse on . . . very simple really.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
So you loaned pony because you didn't have time for her, and demanded her return when you discovered that the loaners shod her in front so that they could work and enjoy her without the constraints of a barefoot horse (ie needs boots, can only ride on certain terrain etc etc), poor pony........but at least she can still return to being barefoot and doing nothing with no harm done eh!

You have some front.

a) how do you know why the OP put her horse on loan?
b) barefoot horses can and do perform perfectly well on all sorts of surfaces without boots
c) no harm done? did farrier touch sole/frogs/hoof wall?
d) doing nothing? what an assumption . . .

I think you need to arm yourself with the facts, never mind some manners, before wading in in future.

P

diamonddogs

Visit site
It's the principle here, whatever your feelings are on barefoot this is not the issue. The loaner was given instructions, and only three weeks into the loan they took a unilateral decision to disregard the feelings of the owner.

If my horse went out on loan and I decided that she need peacock feathers plaited into her mane at midnight on every day with an R in it, this is what I expect to happen. In any event, if this person was so concerned about riding the horse without shoes, a couple of pairs of boots would pay for themselves after three or four farrier visits would fix the problem - in consultation with the owner, of course.

And to cast aspersions on the owner's reasons for loaning out is completely out of order.

noodle_

Visit site
good god id be fuming....

the pony was on loan? therefore decsion rests totally with the owner....

that comes to feet/shoes/bit/tack etc.... final decision always gets left with owner - dont like it dont loan or buy the pony....

Im sure the pony will be fine with shoes whipped off op.

misskk88

Visit site
OP I would not be happy!

My horse was a repeat shoe puller with bad feet when I got her. I went barefoot to allow them to heal, and never put them back on! For the work we do, she is fine and that includes hacking out.

If I loaned her, I would only EVER allow front shoes on if they were an absolute must for a change in her work load, and if I felt that the loan home had more experience and understanding that I did. In any other circumstance my horse would be straight back with me. If a Loaner can disregard the rules of the contract within THREE weeks, then I would seriously suspect what else they would do.

Geminismum

Visit site

Bit of a sweeping statement! Not all barefoot horse are constrained in the ways you mention. AND surprise surprise some of our horses can actually manage work too :000