Hooray, planning granted, now what building type?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
So excited! The council have granted planning permission for my 2/3 stables plus hay barn and tack room ????

The stabling company that did my drawings can't supply and erect until November/December so I thought I'd look around at other options before I commit. We always think of stables as wooden structures but might I be better considering a steel framed building instead? Nowhere seems to have prices online for them, so does anyone know if they would be more expensive or a more reasonable budget? Are they more or less durable than wooden stables?

All experiences very welcome!

Fanatical

Visit site
Surely you have had to submit drawings of the exact type of stables you are putting in, including all materials to be used, so would have needed to decide before you subbed the planning?

That's what we had to do.

Congrats by the way - so exciting!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Surely you have had to submit drawings of the exact type of stables you are putting in, including all materials to be used, so would have needed to decide before you subbed the planning?

That's what we had to do.

Congrats by the way - so exciting!
Steel framed can be timber clad so still within the permissions.

Muddywellies

Visit site
So excited! The council have granted planning permission for my 2/3 stables plus hay barn and tack room ????

The stabling company that did my drawings can't supply and erect until November/December so I thought I'd look around at other options before I commit. We always think of stables as wooden structures but might I be better considering a steel framed building instead? Nowhere seems to have prices online for them, so does anyone know if they would be more expensive or a more reasonable budget? Are they more or less durable than wooden stables?

All experiences very welcome!
They would certainly be more durable, but an awful lot more expensive. Friend of mine just erected a steel framed stable block and it took an unbelievable amout of time. It will undoubtedly be quicker to stick with what you've got. All builders have lead times and right now everything is incredibly slow. In my job, I'm still waiting for a start date from a builder which was approved last Dec so patience is key I'm afraid (for any decent builder that is - be wary of one's which can offer early start dates). Any deviations will also need to be run by the planners first too.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
They would certainly be more durable, but an awful lot more expensive. Friend of mine just erected a steel framed stable block and it took an unbelievable amout of time. It will undoubtedly be quicker to stick with what you've got. All builders have lead times and right now everything is incredibly slow. In my job, I'm still waiting for a start date from a builder which was approved last Dec so patience is key I'm afraid (for any decent builder that is - be wary of one's which can offer early start dates). Any deviations will also need to be run by the planners first too.
Thanks, I really wasn't sure if it would be better value or not. Just been to check my planning and we didn't specify materials so that shouldn't be an issue.
Building and foundations aren't an issue, I have a family member who will be doing that for me, it's just the supply and erection of the buildings that's being delayed.

Asha

Visit site
I would double check all wording in your permission. Wooden stables are a lot easier to get permission for than steel framed building. Unless you went for permitted development ? Is your place a farm/smallholding ?

Steel framed buildings tend to be a fair bit more than wooden blocks, but absolutely worth paying extra for. Also be aware that stables in a building will have a higher taxable rate than wooden ones ( well they do in cheshire east )

They are definitely more durable

honetpot

Visit site
Steel is heavy, so takes more lifting it also needs better foundations. There seems to be a shortage of construction wood, in fact there seems to be a shortage of every thing for building work so if someone has ready-made in stock I would get them, it can only get worse come October.

EventingMum

Visit site
I don't know about where you are but round here the building trade is incredibly busy, there's a huge knock-on effect from lockdown, Mr EM is a joiner and has months of work lined up so it may be best to booked in with the original people asap.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks, I really wasn't sure if it would be better value or not. Just been to check my planning and we didn't specify materials so that shouldn't be an issue.
Building and foundations aren't an issue, I have a family member who will be doing that for me, it's just the supply and erection of the buildings that's being delayed.

If you have a family member starting the work, why not get them to do the whole job?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
If you have a family member starting the work, why not get them to do the whole job?
Aren't the building of the stables and the groundswork separate tasks? The stable manufacturers mostly seem to price their stables to include both the supply and install and don't do the foundations and concrete base; so I thought it would be normal to have these as 2 separate jobs.

EventingMum - I'm already pencilled in with them, but my land is really wet and if it starts raining, November is going to be impossible, plus I would also need to get my hay barn filled which is also pretty difficult in the winter.

Esmae

Visit site
We had our wooden stable yard built 12 years ago. The buildings are still as good as new. We did our footings to the spec of the stable company. Different groundwork company. They did the base in about 5 days, we let the concrete set for 2 weeks and then stable company came and put the lot up in a day. They were fantastic. I'd stick with your permission honestly, much easier.

chaps89

Visit site
My parents barn is concrete blocks for the bottom half and steel for the top part. Bit industrial looking but very nice, hasn't got too hot over summer either.
Their planners were very meticulous and it was allowed.
But it did take them a long time for it to be built and installed so probably no quicker for you than your current option unfortunately.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Really? Crikey I've been through planning twice for stables (timber looseboxes) and they pretty much wanted to know details of every screw and nail.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I would double check all wording in your permission. Wooden stables are a lot easier to get permission for than steel framed building. Unless you went for permitted development ? Is your place a farm/smallholding ?

Steel framed buildings tend to be a fair bit more than wooden blocks, but absolutely worth paying extra for. Also be aware that stables in a building will have a higher taxable rate than wooden ones ( well they do in cheshire east )

They are definitely more durable
Really? Crikey I've been through planning twice for stables (timber looseboxes) and they pretty much wanted to know details of every screw and nail.
Sorry you are both right, it does state timber framed and clad.

hobo

Visit site
Ok so now you know it has to all be timber get family friend to do foundations as soon as possible and go with the company who did the drawings if they are able to do Nov/Dec. As long as you have done the foundations the rest should not be so weather restricted.
But please be very aware to hope to get them all done by Christmas is a big ask.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
^^^ Agree, get the foundations in ASAP. That’s what needs the heavy machinery on site, so you need to get it done while ground conditions allow.

Assuming that your wooden stables are sectional, as long as they can park the lorry not too far away, the stable peeps can then carry the sections across open ground to the prepared base.

ETA This is our 30’ x12’ field shelter going up 14 years ago - our access wasn’t very good then, but the Withington Hill guys carried it across in sections. It’s on a concrete base which was put up a few days beforehand. The base brick layer was infilled in afterwards by a brickie.

8B763135-0E91-4329-969B-12A2179D1BCF.jpeg

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
It's very exciting. Spoke to the builder tonight who is going to try to get to me in the next 2-3 weeks.

This is what I have at the moment, the stable on the far end is the only thing I have permission for, but part of my planning permission now is that they all need to go. The new block will be in the field opposite and facing what is there now, the wind comes from that way most of the time so the new stables will have their back to the prevailing wind. Then, when the field shelter, shipping container and stable are removed, this area will be fenced off so I have hard standing turnout for the winter which is essential when you're on clay!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.