Hooves looking so much better

Catherine94

Visit site
About 10 months ago, I posted asking for advice about my horses really badly cracked hooves. He was completely sound, but the cracks looked horrible (looking back now, I'm ashamed and really disappointed in myself for letting them get to the state they were in).

I'd tried a few things to correct them, but was completely stuck about what to do. I'd asked my farrier about them a few times, but he'd said that while the horse was sound, he was reluctant to do anything to them that could risk making him go lame. After posting on here, a lot of people were shocked at them, and confirmed to me that I really needed to do something about them. On the advice I got from here, I had the vet out. He confirmed that the horse wasn't lame and the cracks were just superficial, but also said that they had the potential to make him lame in the future. Like the farrier, he didn't want to do anything too invasive while he was sound, but agreed that they should be sorted. He recommended a hoof supplement that had been successful at treating similar issues, and said to see if there was any improvement after three or four months. There wasn't. I contacted him and told him there was no improvement, and he said that because of the weather (it was the middle summer) the hooves would be very dry, so to leave them alone until autumn when he'd try a different approach. We arranged to have the vet and farrier out at the same time in October, and they agreed that the reason that they hadn't improved was because the cracks were going up into the coronet band, and additional support was needed to encourage normal growth. It was decided that we would try him in bar shoes and on a different biotin supplement. 5 months later, and we have normal growth at the top!

They've still got a fair bit of growing down to do, but hopefully in 9-12 months, he'll have normal looking hooves :) And I definitely won't be allowing them to get anywhere near as bad as they were.

Thank you to everyone who commented before and gave me the push I needed to get it sorted and for telling me what I needed to hear, even if I didn't want to hear it! :) Sorry for the length, cookies for getting to the end :D

Last edited:

I.M.N.

Visit site
Wow, amazing improvement. I didn't see the last thread so I don't know what was said. I do agree with your vet and farrier that when horses are sound (even if they look like they shouldn't be) it's normally best not to get too involved. And the problem with treating hooves with supplements is the time it takes for there to be any improvement, patience is a great virtue when it comes to feet!

Catherine94

Visit site
Wow, amazing improvement. I didn't see the last thread so I don't know what was said. I do agree with your vet and farrier that when horses are sound (even if they look like they shouldn't be) it's normally best not to get too involved. And the problem with treating hooves with supplements is the time it takes for there to be any improvement, patience is a great virtue when it comes to feet!

I was of the same opinion really. I wanted them sorted but didn't want to do anything that could risk making him lame. Its definitely been a waiting game but I'm so pleased they're looking better :)

Which supplement are you using? I found Prohoof very good for hoof growth.

He was initially on formula4feet but we didn't see any improvement. Since being in bar shoes we've changed him to topspec healthy hoof :)

rachk89

Visit site
Really excellent improvement there well done. :)

If they are still dry maybe try putting on some hoof tar treatment on the outside and underneath of the hoof. My horse had a superficial crack when I got him although nowhere near as bad as that but it's now gone. I just use naf biotin in his food now everyday as i am paranoid about it happening again. The tar though helps with dry and cracked hooves but is pretty horrible to deal with because it's so thick.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I would be feeding micronised linseed, did no one suggest that?
... and yes a mineral for hooves, all year round.
you can dilute stockholme tar with lard, but its still horrid, I would use Cornucrescene instead, I am not usually one for applying stuff, but this is an extreme case, and you want to add something to prevent infection, improve waterproofing.

Last edited:

Catherine94

Visit site
Really excellent improvement there well done. :)

If they are still dry maybe try putting on some hoof tar treatment on the outside and underneath of the hoof. My horse had a superficial crack when I got him although nowhere near as bad as that but it's now gone. I just use naf biotin in his food now everyday as i am paranoid about it happening again. The tar though helps with dry and cracked hooves but is pretty horrible to deal with because it's so thick.

Thank you :) He's on a hoof supplement containing biotin and he'll most likely stay on it indefinitely :) Thanks for the advice! :)

I would be feeding micronised linseed, did no one suggest that?
... and yes a mineral for hooves, all year round.
you can dilute stockholme tar with lard, but its still horrid, I would use Cornucrescene instead, I am not usually one for applying stuff, but this is an extreme case, and you want to add something to prevent infection, improve waterproofing.

I don't recall it being mentioned but I'll certainly look into it :) I'm currently using cornucrescene, not pleasant stuff but it does its job :) Thank you for the advice :)

AppyLover

Visit site
Can I ask what hoof supplement he's on?

My sisters mare came with a hoof injury which doesn't cause her any problems but it looks horrible and we are up for trying anything to help increase healthy growth from coronet band as like yours it cracks back up to this every time. I know there is a very large chance that its growing in cracked due to her injury possibly being in that area but thought Id ask incase it helps abit :)

Catherine94

Visit site
Can I ask what hoof supplement he's on?

My sisters mare came with a hoof injury which doesn't cause her any problems but it looks horrible and we are up for trying anything to help increase healthy growth from coronet band as like yours it cracks back up to this every time. I know there is a very large chance that its growing in cracked due to her injury possibly being in that area but thought Id ask incase it helps abit :)

He's on topspec healthy hoof, though we think its the combination of the bar shoes providing support and the supplement improving hoof quality that have allowed normal growth. Good luck getting her sorted :)

AppyLover

Visit site
He's on topspec healthy hoof, though we think its the combination of the bar shoes providing support and the supplement improving hoof quality that have allowed normal growth. Good luck getting her sorted :)

Thank You :) The Farrier says she's fine at the moment and we don't have to do anything and if it ever became and issue he could put fronts on her but with her actually doing stuff this year I'll get her to have a word with him and see what he says :) Hopefully it can be fixed or if not we will just have to learn to live with a bad looking hoof :)