Hope Valley Saddlery

MileAMinute

Visit site
What are people’s opinions on this company?

I feel like I am getting the run around regarding something I ordered.

I ordered it in a particular size - too big. I requested an exchange for smaller size. Was told it was sold out and I received a refund.

Had a look online on Sunday and it was appearing in stock, in my size. Paid for and ordered. Still not received anything, be an email update or the item itself. Rang this morning and was told they were checking their various warehouses for this item? Surely they should have decent stock control and know if they have something or not?

Feeling very frustrated.

Shay

Visit site
They've done this to me in the past. There electronic stock control is not particularly good. I hate places that show items as in stock and let you buy them before deciding it was in fact out of stock. I could udnerstand in the days of manual stock check but it this computerized day and age it does seem a bit old fashioned.

Ceifer

Visit site
I had a similar experience. Items did eventually turn up but it took a lot of chasing. I ordered a few bits and bobs but after 14 days nothing had turned up. After a few calls I discovered that despite being shown as in stock on their website, they weren’t actually in stock.

They do tend to have things cheaper than most online shops though.

Templebar

Visit site
You are getting what you pay for, they are cheaper so are you expecting top service. I have never had a problem with them.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I had huge issues with them with a damaged bridle. They also flat out lied to me and told me it wasnt end of line/returned stock when the manufacturer confirmed it was. Their customer service is appalling, but they are cheap so sometimes its worth the hassle.

teapot

Visit site
I've had both fantastic and rubbish service from them. Order before last was ordered three times by mistake and they were very quick to resolve the issue and dispatched with next day delivery which I didn't pay for.

Latest order - took them five days to say 'actually we don't have that size, would you like to try another size?' Agreed, still took them another two/three days to dispatch. Not sure I trust their stock control, especially not on sale priced items. I noticed the website is still saying they have the coat I ordered in the size they don't actually have...

tashcat

Visit site
Had a similar experience - essentially it says 'in stock' if one of their distributors has it - so they don't physically have it in stock in their warehouse. Took a couple of weeks for it to be shipped to them, and then shipped onto me.

Their customer service was sometimes good, and then sometimes equally horrendous. Got my issues sorted in the end, but would avoid next time!

MileAMinute

Visit site
You are getting what you pay for, they are cheaper so are you expecting top service. I have never had a problem with them.

It’s £5 cheaper there so not really. I’m not expecting top service. I’m expecting for the item I ordered to be in stock and delivered - surely that’s basic customer service?

npage123

Visit site
Seems that it might be a good idea to call this company to check stock availability before ordering anything online. It shouldn't be necessary having to do this though!

Abi90

Visit site
It’s £5 cheaper there so not really. I’m not expecting top service. I’m expecting for the item I ordered to be in stock and delivered - surely that’s basic customer service?

This. I ordered something from them that was apparently in stock and 3 weeks later t hadn't even been shipped. I rang them and they said it was out of stock and would be another 3 weeks. So I cancelled the order and it took aaaaages to get the money refunded. I wasn't expecting "top service" just for the item that I had ordered that was allegedly in stock to arrive. Their customer service isn't even adequate

AFB

Visit site
I've only ever ordered from them once, ages ago, and order arrived fine, however I've seen so much bad press I always end up avoiding them now and usually find what I need for a reasonable enough price elsewhere to justify avoiding the potential hassle.

whiteflower

Visit site
I've also had issues with things not being in stock and them not bothering to tell me. I had to ring and find out why it hasn't arrived. They said they would send me an alternative item, then they said that was out of stock and they would get back to me, but never did. I had to do all the calling and chasing. It was a satisfactory outcome in the end but took a long time. I would never buy from them if I needed something to arrive within a time frame, infact I haven't ordered from them since the last debacle. Having been to their shop at Somerford and overheard staff discussing how to 'fob off' a customer who was calling asking where their item was it has somewhat put me off and not given me any faith that their staff want to provide good customer service !! I think the fact that shop and warehouses seem to be separate causes an issue

Last edited:

Pie's mum

Visit site
It seems I have been lucky! I’ve ordered a few things from them at vastly reduced prices and always had them amazingly quickly!

DappleDown

Visit site
I was about to make an order from HVS, saw this thread so thought I'd check it was in stock - no reply to my message.

Yesterday looked at fleabay, same item listed, shown as in stock. No reply to my message. Today shows as out of stock in some sizes and says they are not taking any messages.

I will always look elsewhere from now on. Today I found the item cheaper from other sellers anyhow so it has worked out well for me to buy elsewhere.

Thanks for the thread o.p.

Embo

Visit site
I've had a few minor issues in the past with HVS. Out of stock items appearing as in stock, missing items etc. Annoying yes, but they sorted it all out very quickly for me. I'm still happy to use them.

pansymouse

Visit site
Seems that it might be a good idea to call this company to check stock availability before ordering anything online. It shouldn't be necessary having to do this though!

When I spoke to them to complain that I got an email saying there would be a delay in delivery of an item shown as in stock they said the availability is a feed from their suppliers stock holding not their own stock. I told that was misleading and should be clearly stated in the item description. My order took three weeks in the end as it had to come from Sweden to them and then out to me :(

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I seem to have been lucky then as used them regularly and always got my items quickly.

One item I ordered was out of stock and they called and they gave me the option of a different colour, cancelling or waiting. I decided to wait as it was something I particularly wanted in that colour and no one else seemed to have it.

irishdraft

Visit site
I have used them quite a lot and always received my orders quickly once had to speak to them about something and they were helpful.

Kat

Visit site
Never had a problem with online orders and I use them fairly frequently, normally one of the first places I try. Shops have always been good too, their hat fitters are really excellent.