(Hopefully) moving yards, tips after long time?

Kafairia

Visit site
So it's been a long time coming and I'm going to view the yard which is my friends (I've been there before and the TB stayed over with ms once) so I'm very sure I'm going.

I have 3: a shetland, a pony and a TB. The TB will be fine I'm sure, he will probably be a tad mental to start with and race around but I'm sure he will soon sort himself out, and I'm confident he will stay where I put him!!

It's the Shetland and pony I'm worried about, more the pony. He was a rescue case and I found out a while ago he was a wild new forest pony. He struggles with other horses and just wants to be the boss and assert his dominance (tried to whack the TB in) and therefore we have been on this yard for 7 years and it is very quiet and only a few other horses. He is a fab jumper and can clear short and tall electric posts and it take 4 bands of electric to keep him in, although if he's got grass (VERY FOOD ORIENTATED) he'll usually stay put and touch wood hasn't escaped very much these past few years at all, especially since he has the Shetland.

My point is, I'm just hoping he is going to adapt, it is a big move and he is the one I'm really worried about, but I have to move away for my own sanity and both our safety (current yard isn't really anymore).

He is a bit crazy, and will try fight other horses if they don't submit. He is however only 13.1hh so really quite manageable. Any tips for helping him and the other settle? I'm not sure where he is going yet but I'm betting I'll need another set of electric fence round to keep him in. Awkward b*gger.

Any tips greatly appreciated, I know it's not ideal but it's in all our best interests to move now.

ALSO: yard is local, I'm hacking them there so shouldn't have too many jelly beans when we get there :)

Kafairia

Visit site
Bumping up, any tips appreciated, and I think I've figured what I'm doing fencing wise to stop him hurting himself or escaping, but if you have anything to share that would be great :) I'm so excited / nervous eek

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Can your 3 go in a field together? We moved ours at short notice to a friend's farm, as a temporary measure before moving them to our own new place. There were a lot of horses around but ours went into a field of their own, all together, so there were very few, if any, settling in problems, even though we had been on the livery yard for 10 yrs.

claret09

Visit site
I had to move my boy recently - again not really my choice - we had been at the same place for six and a half years. I was extremely stressed about finding somewhere suitable looked at five yards before deciding where to go. even then had a wobble about it. my boy was extremely anxious for two/three days - he behaved exactly as I expected. thankfully he has now settled and looks really happy the new yard love him - although he is huge once he settles he is a pussy cat to deal with. it's the best thing I could have done - even though where we were before was becoming increasingly dangerous and unsuitable I was still reluctant to leave - but I am really glad I did, if my very stress 17.2 can settle I am sure yours will also - just let them have time to adjust and don't push them into doing things - good luck I am sure it will work. be positive

Kafairia

Visit site
Thanks for your replies everyone, we viewed it and it's very secluded on the livery yard so suits the ponies down to the ground. I think the TB will be happy too.

I'm so excited now, but have some random fencing questions I'll open another thread for.

And I'm afraid they can't all go in together, pony would try to smash the TB in, and won't go anywhere without his Shetland to himself. But they will be next to each other so should be okay. :)