Horrible neigh :(

Katieandnik

Visit site
Iv had a new rescue mare and she's beautiful and coming on lovely we all got so attached to her straight away..
Buuutttttt. . Her neigh is so horrible Omg it makes you shudder! And she neighs ALOT lol
It reminds me of the horse whisperer film when her horse is in the accident and he neighs out in pain ..
Sorry I just had to tell someone this as it's bugging me alot lol it makes me jump out my skin aswel!
Arghhh. Haha :(

Equi

Visit site
Hahahaha best complaint ever. Know exactly how you feel I have one cat with a horrible husky mangy meow and I can't stand it. My other cat (a big ginger tom without the balls lol) has a cute little delicate meow and he gets all the love.

Victoria25

Visit site
Haha my arab has the cutest girly neigh ever but my TB sounds like yours does ... you cringe and think is that really a horse?? hahaha

Katieandnik

Visit site
Hahaha oh dear :( glad I got it off my chest though felt guilty for thinking it about her.. thing is she's so pretty but oh my god she makes your ears bleed Haha .
And Whyyyy If they have a nice neigh they hardly neigh. . They have a vile neigh they are neighing all the time! :( haha

smja

Visit site
Sis' big hunter type has the most ridiculous girly neigh I've ever heard, and he squeals when he's excited. it's his first event of the season this weekend, he's going to be an embarrassment in the collecting ring :D

Ceriann

Visit site
My mare doesn't neigh - she does this unmistakable wicker that makes her sound like a velociraptor (the small dinosaur in Jurassic Park that killed in packs). She's equally deadly when she feels like it! She also only ever does it for me - go figure!

HashRouge

Visit site
If she's whinnying a lot is there a chance that she's still unsettled, especially if her new friends are coming and going a lot? I ask because my mare can do the most hideous, shrill, semi-hysterical whinny when her fieldmate goes for a ride - it's an awful noise, and more or less constant. But she never does it at any other time and just sounds like a normal horse. So you might find that she does it less as she settles in properly.

DuckToller

Visit site
Was just going to say the same as HashRouge - I think mares are more vocal when they are unsettled, so there's hope the number of times she neighs will decrease, although unlikely the actual noise will improve sadly!

Mrs G

Visit site
Im sure she will either settle and do it less or you'll get used to it! A horse that came to stay on our yard had had an operation to stop him neighing as he apparently did it so much he unsettled the other horses where he was from originally. I thought this so sad, poor thing.

MargotC

Visit site
Bless her.

I had a mare with separation anxiety and she was very vocal in stressed situations, but I never did think of it as abnormal; I was just glad she wasn't even noisier.

OT, but is there any research done into whether horses who are deaf or have impaired hearing are noisier?

Crackerz

Visit site
Was just going to say the same as HashRouge - I think mares are more vocal when they are unsettled, so there's hope the number of times she neighs will decrease, although unlikely the actual noise will improve sadly!

You need to meet my gelding! I've had him 19 years and have never managed to improve his hideously bad separation anxiety :lol: When i take one of my other two away to ride, all hell breaks loose and you think he's being murdered!!

mytwofriends

Visit site
My old guy is huge, but ever since his tieback op nearly 9 years ago, it's like his volume has been almost muted, but not quite. He doesn't shout often, but it's a source of great amusement when he does!

The smaller one, who I just lost, had a singsong whinny. Lots of different notes and very loud. So cute.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My little mare sounds like a tiny Shetland pony. I had a 17.2hh ID gelding whose neigh was the girliest, softest neigh I have ever heard. My last TB gelding had the deepest neigh I have ever heard, and my late mare who I adored more than any other horse had the brashest, loudest neigh ever. Love them all. I soon get to know any new livery horse's neighs too so I always know which horse is neighing when they're out of sight.

NZJenny

Visit site
The gelding in my avatar has the most irritating neigh ever! And he thinks he is "the Man" about the place, so if I take either of my two mares out of the paddock, he stands by the gate and yells.

I don't know how long he keeps it up for as I can quite often still hear him as I'm riding out the gate and when we come back home again. Given that there are times when we away over night, he must give up eventually.

Lintel

Visit site
Oh.. nothing worse than an irritating "neigh"- we have a neigher/squealer at the yard! Glad he isn't mine poor boy!
I'm very lucky I have a "nicker'er" - who is very sweet when he does so.

luckyoldme

Visit site
My old guy is huge, but ever since his tieback op nearly 9 years ago, it's like his volume has been almost muted, but not quite. He doesn't shout often, but it's a source of great amusement when he does!

The smaller one, who I just lost, had a singsong whinny. Lots of different notes and very loud. So cute.

my old gelding is the same as yours, or rather was when i got him, ive had him 7 years now, and the other day i took his field mate out for a walk and all the while i was out all i could hear was my old boy neighing..he got his neigh back!