Horror stories

muddybay

Visit site
Just for a bit of evening entertainment! Does anyone have any horse buying/yard owner/loaning/competition/general horse world horror stories? The juicier the better!

teddypops

Visit site
Not really a horror story just odd! I went to try a horse for loan and it all went well, decided I would have her. Owner was happy for me to have her. Discussed where I would keep her and what I wanted to do with her. Gave references. All good. Owner said she would get her son to deliver so they could see where horse would be living. We arranged a date for delivery. I was really excited but then the loan agreement arrived and it was full of things that owner seemed to have just plucked out of thin air such as no jumping, not even a log in the woods, no fast hacking, no hunting, no riding club activities, no competing and she wanted a weekly postcard from the horse. Then she phoned my boss to completely slate me for expecting her to deliver the horse! I decided against loaning as it went from being exactly what I wanted to being nothing that I wanted! It was disappointing as it was a lovely horse!

muddybay

Visit site
Not really a horror story just odd! I went to try a horse for loan and it all went well, decided I would have her. Owner was happy for me to have her. Discussed where I would keep her and what I wanted to do with her. Gave references. All good. Owner said she would get her son to deliver so they could see where horse would be living. We arranged a date for delivery. I was really excited but then the loan agreement arrived and it was full of things that owner seemed to have just plucked out of thin air such as no jumping, not even a log in the woods, no fast hacking, no hunting, no riding club activities, no competing and she wanted a weekly postcard from the horse. Then she phoned my boss to completely slate me for expecting her to deliver the horse! I decided against loaning as it went from being exactly what I wanted to being nothing that I wanted! It was disappointing as it was a lovely horse!
I've seen so many adverts of horses available for loan like this a showjumper but no showjumping etc! To be fair I would probably be just as protective if mine was on loan

teddypops

Visit site
I've seen so many adverts of horses available for loan like this a showjumper but no showjumping etc! To be fair I would probably be just as protective if mine was on loan
The thing is, she wasn’t advertised this way and when I viewed her, the owner was happy with everything I said I wanted to do. It was only after I agreed to have her, she changed the goal posts.

muddybay

Visit site
The thing is, she wasn’t advertised this way and when I viewed her, the owner was happy with everything I said I wanted to do. It was only after I agreed to have her, she changed the goal posts.
People like that don't actually want to loan out their horse they're just advertising so they can say they've had a go! Some horsey people are so difficult and misadvertise frequently :(

saalsk

Visit site
I am not going to say too much, but wow the horse world is freaky, and not just the horse world !

Was looking to loan a horse, and the fit was perfect. Until we told owner what yard we were going to be on. Then she said no. I should have listened. YO was a psychopath.

Loaned out one of my own horses, and the person who appeared wanted herself ( fine ) and 9 others (yep, 9 ) to try as well.

Worked in kennels as a late teen. We got told to take new people plus their dogs, to the show kennel. A huge kennel with a large open air run, that they were told their dog would be staying in. As soon as they left, the dog was moved to a tiny box with no outdoor run, and left there for the duration.

Worked as a VN, for a vet that would take an XR of a cat/dog nd out a paperclip/thumbtack on the XR plate, and then *operate* on the foreign body - making a small skin incision and sewing it up, and providing the owner with the offending article in a bag, as a reason why the animal had a gastric upset. The gastric upset was always due to eating something nasty, and nothing more. You can imagine the size of the vet bill.