Horse accommodation In or with easy reach of Durham Uni?

Always_late

Visit site
Its still a way off, but daughts is looking to take her mare with her when she goes to Durham (daught - not the 'orse, hehe) I don't mind - one less for me to muck out and keep occupied for 4 years! Can anyone give us some guidence about suitable comp yards or just good accommodation with easy reach of Durham Uni? I have absolutely no idea about this area - apart from being told its a nice part of the country.
grin.gif
Many Thanks

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
It is about 10 years ago since I lived in the area but used to keep mine at Union Hall, Brasside, Durham. Good facilities offering DIY or part livery, indoor and outdoor school plus a farm ride (only open in dry conditions), hacking was not up to much though.

The other yard I used was on an estate I cannot remember the name of (it was between Chester le Street and Durham, bit further on from Union Hall)! They have four yards on the estate, hacking is excellent as the whole estate has grass headlands for the livery clients to ride on along with a huge assortment of xc fences. Each yard has a menage of some sort with one having an indoor school.

Think Houghall, the Durham Agricultural College do livery too and they are very close to the city.

Dont know of any others but it has been a while!

ann-jen

Visit site
You mean Ingrids on the Nicholsons estate. Thats the best place if you like hacking out as there is acres and acres to ride on.
There is also Finchale Banks in Leamside - has both indoor and outdoor schools and a full set of show jumps. Small amount of hacking on the farm, horse walker, winter turnout. Only full livery at FB though.
There is also Bev's also at Leamside - its a stud and BD approved site. Only an outdoor school there though but I think an indoor is in the pipeline.
PM me if you need any more details.

Always_late

Visit site
Thanks so much for that. Will definately PM you nearer the time. Daughts is taking gap year first (I've said to her - every year has been your flaming gap year!), so she'll be looking at joining Sept 08.

ann-jen

Visit site
Bit of a trek up here from Wiltshire - but Durham is a beautiful city and a really nice place to live. I was at Uni in Bristol so know all about the NE to SW trek so it'll be the same for you in reverse!
By September 08 there might be a XC course at Finchale Banks too if your daughter likes to jump.