Horse acting out of character.

Illusion100

Visit site
So when I went today to sort my lad he was already in (by a few mins) and just watching goings on over the door. Sounds normal enough but something was amiss with this picture, he didn't have a mouthful of hay.

As I walked onto yard, I didn't get my greeting whinny, again unusual. He had hay left over so no reason not to be eating, I refilled nets and put them in first before I poo picked. He wasn't interested, unheard of.

He just looked subdued. Not unhappy but abnormally quiet. I asked YO how he'd been all day and nothing unusual was reported.

I mucked out round him and he was so clingy, usually once he's knocked things over a few times (in between mouthfuls of hay), he concentrates solely on eating. He didn't eat one mouthful the whole time I mucked out but was stuck to me like glue.

He didn't display any signs of being under the weather. He was wormed yesterday but no sign of anything amiss with that.

The only thing I can think of is that is next, next door neighbour was sold and collected today. The stables have mesh on the top in between stables so he could always see her when she was in and she had been there since he arrived around July/August last year.

Could this just be a case that he was down in the dumps because she was gone or am I being incredibly thick and missing something much more obvious?

Illusion100

Visit site
He wasn't agitated/tucked up/sweaty/nasal discharge, he looks great. He was his normal self for general manners/rug change, usual enjoyment face for having itchyscratchy rubs.

He was just really clingy. He is quite an affectionate/involved and sensitive horse but he also loves his grub and is very rarely seen without hay/grass in his gob. He was constantly looking for cuddles, to play the silly games we have and be quite close in proximity.

YO is great and would be on the phone double quick if any issue was suspected, so I'm confident he won't be overlooked if he appears unwell.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I don't wish to alarm you (!) but this is exactly how my horse first presented when she had spasmodic colic, right down to being wormed with Equest Pramox approx 24 hours before. The only difference being that she'd moved to the yard 4 days previously and left her friend behind. She wasn't tucked up at first, not sweaty or obviously uncomfortable - just disinterested in food and following me everywhere.

Did you hear any gut noises that seemed louder than usual? A big sign with mine was that I could hear her stomach from 2 stables away.

Hopefully he's just missing his friend and will perk up quickly but it's something to keep an eye.

ETA: Mine has since been wormed with Equest again and been fine, though I've not used the Pramox since - I was advised by vet to use Pancur 5-day this year.

Illusion100

Visit site
I don't wish to alarm you (!) but this is exactly how my horse first presented when she had spasmodic colic, right down to being wormed with Equest Pramox approx 24 hours before. The only difference being that she'd moved to the yard 4 days previously and left her friend behind. She wasn't tucked up at first, not sweaty or obviously uncomfortable - just disinterested in food and following me everywhere.

Did you hear any gut noises that seemed louder than usual? A big sign with mine was that I could hear her stomach from 2 stables away.

Hopefully he's just missing his friend and will perk up quickly but it's something to keep an eye.

ETA: Mine has since been wormed with Equest again and been fine, though I've not used the Pramox since - I was advised by vet to use Pancur 5-day this year.

No abnormal gut noises heard! Arrghh, you've got me all confuddled now! Will get in touch with YO asap to see how he's doing. Thanks for info, better safe than sorry!

DirectorFury

Visit site
That's great news :).

Interesting that other horses react to the Equest Pramox like this! I was going to use it again until vet advised using Pancur 5-day instead, though I've read that there's now widespread resistance to the Pancur so I'm not sure what to use if she needs doing again.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Another whose horse was subdued and "off" after using Pramox. Snapped out of it after a day and no adverse effects. Did you take his temp?